PDA

View Full Version : Cracking Joints

countrygirl
22-02-10, 09:55
I have always had very crackly joints which get worst towards the end of the day - I also have spinal damage like herniated discs and loads of pain from them but I also seem as if I constantly pull muscles and things whenever I do any activity slightly different to what i normally do.

Last few mnths my joint cracking has got worse - its bad enough for people to comment on the noise when I move around as I say especially as the day goes on - tends to affect ankles knees and wrists most.

I once asked a GP if there was any significance to the joint cracking and he laughed and I think did explain what causes it but because of my other constant aches and pains I am once again worrying that the joinr cracking is all connected to some rare disorder:D

anyone know much about joint cracking???

smudger
22-02-10, 11:22
All I can say is since Ive done pilates my joints don't seem to crack as much. I have a cracky neck and hip. Not sure how significant it is.

RosieXXX
22-02-10, 13:11
How funny, I was having this conversation yesterday with my son, who has very cracky joints, especially in his back and knees; my knees have always cracked a lot too. Anyway, he has been having treatment for a back problem, and the physio said his cracking joints were nothing to worry about, and were not connected to his back problem. Would be interesting to know why joints do crack though.

countrygirl
22-02-10, 22:15
I think the explanation I got was to do with tendons making the noise but cannot remember the exact reason - most annoying

Carys
22-02-10, 22:27
OH my word.....my husband cracks all the time. About every joint in his body makes snapping, cracking noises - neck, back, fingers. He does it deliberately some of the time, kind of twisting to make all his back 'crack' as he says it makes his muscles less tense ? I swear I can almost hear each vertebra in turn making a noise. lol I thought it was something to do with tendons/fluid moving in the joints....might be wrong though.

It is SO NOTHING to worry about, at all, he is ultra phsyically fit and can off road cycle for hours or play squash for hours. He has always had this and although he religiously takes fish oil capsules for joints, I can't say that I've detected any difference in the noise.