PDA

View Full Version : I think anxiety hormones are hitting my health now. What can I take?

hoppipolla
22-02-10, 18:00
Am I right in saying it's probably cortisol that's doing the damage? Originally I thought my biggest problem was too much adrenaline (it's effects on the heart etc) but then I think the effects of cortisol have started to kick in - hell I didn't even know what cortisol WAS! lol

So basically, I am trying to reduce my stress and anxiety of course, but I just find it so difficult. I am trying to narrow down what hormone is probably harming me the most, and taking one or two things just to keep it a little dampened while I try to sort myself out.

I don't really have the money for more than say 2 anxiety-related supplements in a day, and as opposed to things like lavender and valerian which are more aimed at calming the body (I believe they are simply mild sedatives), I would rather take things that are specifically aimed at reducing the hormone(s) that I think are causing me trouble - I suspect cortisol!

So, what do you guys think? From what I saw online it seems like the best is Rhodiola Rosea, followed by Ashwagandha and Reishi Mushroom (EDIT - Ah and Holy Basil too apparently! :) ), but I could be missing something right under my nose!! Also, I could take one to lower cortisol and one herbal sedative.

I know that taking things isn't as good as simply lowering my stress levels but I've been trying for years to lower my stress levels :( I feel like I need a kind of "quick fix" just to tide me through, so I don't do myself too much harm ._.

Any thoughts?

A slightly concerned Hoppi! :)

EDIT -- Hmm apparently also Omega 3 (fish oils), Rolea, Ginkgo Biloba and Phosatidylserine! Wow there are so many things! I'm about to pop down to Sainsbury's in a minute so maybe I'll have a look!

DOUBLE EDIT -- Omg look at this: "Cortisol is catabolic, meaning that it literally causes the body to breakdown its own tissues for conversion into immediate energy (ATP) during moments of stress." - http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/ginkgo_cortisol.html

Well that sucks ._. No wonder my body has felt such a mess recently! lol

I need to get this hormone in check QUICK ._.

it's_just_a_phase
22-02-10, 19:19
There is a completely cost free way to counteract cortisol...EXERCISE! :)

A bit more effort required than just popping a pill but freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!:D

x

hoppipolla
22-02-10, 20:51
This is the answer I got on Yahoo Answers:

" The natural and most effective way is to take DHEA, this is a hormonal precursor made by the adrenal glands, but over time less and less is produced. It is the direct antagonist in the body to cortisol. DHEA can be purchased otc in any supplement store, start with 25mg daily and work up gradually to to 100mg a day.
Source(s):
RN "

And she's a Registered Nurse!

So I think I'm going to get some of that, after trying to learn if cortisol is definitely my main concern. It does seem to be hitting my health and I don't wanna sit here while it eats me alive! lol :)

EDIT -- Ok I've changed my mind :) I think I'm going to go for Ginkgo Biloba and Holy Basil! :) and maaaayyybe St John's Wort if I want a sedative of some sort! Done and done! ^_^

hoppipolla
13-03-10, 02:52
I think I found them! hehe :)

I put them in my new thread! ^_^

You were right about exercise though it's_just_a_phase but... sometimes I'm laaaazyyyy! hehe ^_^