PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations and ectopic beats - scared

pb
23-02-10, 08:19
For the past couple od days i have been getting palpitations and ectopic beats especially at night whilst im trying to get to sleep.
Really worried there might be something wrong with my heart.
Under alot of stress due to arthritis.
Please HELP..

pinkpiglet
23-02-10, 08:36
Hi there, this is very common with stress and anxiety and they arent very pleasant are they?? They are one of the most uncomfortable symptoms off anxiety and because we associate it with our hearts it plays on our mind. Some people only experience them at night but some people are so unfortunate that they get it through the day too.
Check out the index to your left of this page and under health worries you will find a section on palpitations. I think this will be enough to explain and set your mind at rest x

Typer
23-02-10, 11:48
Hi yes I get them too on a daily and nightly basis. They are scary and it's hard to come to terms with it not actually being a problem with the heart but rather the nervous system. I am trying to live with these awful palps too. You are not alone

beanie
23-02-10, 11:57
Hi, I live with these too and they are so awful. I get them all day but the worst ones are at night when I'm trying to sleep. They make me feel like I'm going to black out sometimes, they are really unpleasant. I know it is hard to believe but these are very very common and I think most of us on here suffer with them. As much as we all often think there is something really wrong with our hearts they are perfectly normal occurences and our anxiety makes them a whole lot worse. 'Normal' people get them all the time too, they just don't notice them as they are not as anxious. If you are under a lot of stress at the mo with arthritis then you will certainly be experiencing them more frequently than if you weren't stressed. You would definately , definately know if there was something really wrong with your heart.
You can go mention it to your GP if you are still worried but please try and be reassured :) I promise you you are not alone with these!

bellalew
23-02-10, 13:51
:)i know the PALPS feeling,i get them often some times their with me for days and take my concentration away big time,the past week iv had none,so they do come and go, they are scary i agree, but it will settle down eventually, i do the slow in and out breathing when its got bad it dose help to slow the heart rate down, try it when your sat down,in through the nose for 6+slowly out through the mouth for 7 making a whooshing noise, do this a few times relaxing your shoulders as you breath out,hope it helps x.

ames6767
23-02-10, 17:29
Hi, I get these everyday and used to get in such a state about it but once I relaxed and stopped worrying I went from getting between 20-50 a day to less then 10, so you can see stress and worry set them off. try not to let the buggers worry you! x

pb
25-02-10, 07:44
Thank you for your replies, i have cut down on my caffeine and this seems to have really helped x

nickieb
25-02-10, 18:07
Mine have reduced but going decaf & cutting out alchol & big heavy meals. I also found out that if i exercise after my meal rather than sitting on the sofa relaxing it helps.

My doctor gave me a piece of advice the other day he said if you get an attack of palps march up & down on the spot to get the heart racing, & it works!
xx

pb
26-02-10, 01:45
Missed heart beats are bad again tonight and im really scared its my heart ..

Kelley
26-02-10, 02:34
Hey.
Like everyone else who has experienced them, i too suffer. I cut out caffeine, alcohol and increased my water intake due to these buggers! So now i can say that i am like a boooring old woman! Mine used to be bad at night but i went through stages where some months would pass where i didn't get them at night but i did in the day and other months i'd have them constantly! Since cutting out coffee (the last resort i had to make recently), they are not as bad as they were. Also i did read a book by Dr Claire Weekes and i have learnt to accept what i have and to 'Float' past them. As a result, when they come i don't seem to be reacting like i used to which seems to have kicked the majority of them in the butt!!!
I find lately though that when i go on the exercise bike they come with a vengeance! I'm not sure if it's me worrying about them coming or what but i decided that i would find another form of exercise (not helpfull but reassuring when i feel susceptible). I have also noticed that when i do get them now i can feel the actual thud on my stomach area! Anyone else get this?? And i can't say i get lightheaded but i do get a slight 'rush' sensation in my head at the same time.
Bottom line is, some days i have felt so scared because of them that i don't think i can survive another day. They rule my head and body and my relationships (so i thought).......since cutting out the caffeine and reading the book, life seems a little more brighter now and i have told myself that if they want to be here today then that's cool, i'm not stopping for them anymore, i am in control of me and they can play a part but they won't write the rules!

Kel

pb
28-02-10, 13:05
Seem to be getting missed heart beats even when im not stressed - i know i should be reassured that there normal , but i just feel so scared..

Typer
01-03-10, 01:33
Kel, I hope I can get to that place. Right now, I feel life is not worth living as the runs of them do make me dizzy.

Kelley
01-03-10, 02:15
Hey Typer.
Just stay strong! Remind yourself constantly that you really are in control and nothing is going to stand in your way! I know when you are in that dark place it is the hardest thing to be strong but what really helps me is reading the book. I would encourage you to get a copy and keep it like a bible. The sun will always shine in time if you believe and work at it. These eptopics will not stop your heart so why let them stop you???!
Kel :)

Typer
01-03-10, 17:14
Thanks kelley. I have had ECG but no echo and I guess that makes me scared. If only someone could say look at these results...see nothing.

Do you mean Claire Weeks' book, if so I am half way through it.

I am trying to find out if ECG alone can prove it is just ectopics

nickieb
02-03-10, 17:25
An ECG can prove its just ectopics yes!

Mine have started these last 2 days grrrr