PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried antihistamines?

RatBrain
23-02-10, 15:40
Hi everyone,

I've just found out that Hydroxyzine which is an antihistamine is listed as one of the drug types used to treat anxiety. This has never been suggested to me by my GP and I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried this approach.

My anxiety tends to be very event specific. I can be fine most days but I react very strongly to what most people would class as minor stressors. For this reason, I've never felt that anti depressants are right for me because I feel I need something fast acting and short term. Diazepam would be the obvious choice but I've not found a doctor willing to prescribe this and beta blockers didn't make enough difference to me.

Anyway, without going into detail about my symptoms etc I just want to know if anyone has found antihistamines effective. Sometimes I feel I have a good grip on things mentally but I can't control my physical symptoms.

thanks

gypsywomen
23-02-10, 15:43
there ok bt havent heard of them beng used for anxiety but they do calm you owing to what they have in them.you could always check with your docter

RatBrain
23-02-10, 22:37
Hi,

do you get a noticable anti- anxiety effect or do they mainly just make you feel drowsy?