PDA

View Full Version : Stepped on a drawing pin, well it get infected?

CorneliusRuperTravis
23-02-10, 16:30
Hey guys, basically, I was in the bathroom last night, barefoot, and I stepped on a drawing pin which some careless person had just dropped and abandoned. The pin went about half-way in and got stuck there. I managed to carefully pull it out after only a few seconds, and I quickly sprayed it with anti-septic spray which luckily was close at hand. I cleaned away the blood and washed it, dried it and stuck a plaster on it.

The pin looked fairly new and clean (I know it wasn't clean, but it didn't look obviously dirty, and it wasn't rusty either) I'm just worried that it'll get infected, as I've heard some nasty stories of swollen feet and stuff. It doesn't hurt though at all, I can walk fine. It just looks like a very small round bruise, nothing else.

What are the chances of it getting infected? Anything to worry about?

Thanks guys, appreciated. Sorry if I sound....pathetic, lol...

ZoJo
23-02-10, 17:27
Ouch!!

I have just been recently savaged by a neighbours cat (I tried to seperate it and mine from fighting! Silly!)
The advice I got from the doctors about things like scratches and the like is keep it clean and cover it up. If it goes red (bear in mind it will be red at first) starts to weep, see a nurse. You sound like you have done everything you need to. If you have any worries I would call your doctors surgery and just say what has happened.

KK77
23-02-10, 17:27
If you put antiseptic on it the chances are very slim that it'll get infected. If it does swell up and feel very tender then go to your GP, but you should be fine.

CorneliusRuperTravis
23-02-10, 17:41
Ok, thanks guys, sounds alright to me. I think I'll wear shoes in the house from now on, heh...

leeann
23-02-10, 17:46
Ive done this before.. I pulled it out but didn't have any cream! It was fine didn't get infected or cause me any trouble! :)

EmmaJane
23-02-10, 17:57
My reaction was ouch aswell. I remember swinging on a chair at school years ago now and fell off. A drawing pin went into my hand. I'm sure you will be fine, as you have cleaned it etc.

CorneliusRuperTravis
23-02-10, 18:56
My reaction was ouch aswell. I remember swinging on a chair at school years ago now and fell off. A drawing pin went into my hand. I'm sure you will be fine, as you have cleaned it etc.

OWCH! I can't imagine how much that must have hurt if you fell on it like that! :ohmy:

Lauz
23-02-10, 21:06
OUCH!!!
I doubt it would get infected, it would be such a small prick in the skin etc.
My partner he took a huge gash out of his foot from our door, which really needed stitches. He had it covered up and it got really red and started to puss etc which mean't it was infected so we just let it air and lucky we were down the beach so the salt water was good for it and it cleared right up.

So from that little story, best to keep it clean and covered up during the day but when at home etc let it air so it can heal.

Veronica H
23-02-10, 23:23
Hi Cornelius....I once had a drawing pin go through my sandle and into the sole of my foot...I pulled it out but didn't clean it at all, and nothing happened so think you will be fine.:yesyes:

Veronicax

ladybird64
23-02-10, 23:31
Hiya.

Speaking as a mother of 5 and now a grandmother of six, standing on drawing pins is an occupational hazard. :whistles:

Putting finished works of art up on wall is a guarantee that someone is just bound to drop one of the damned things, Grandma will then stand on it and turn the air blue. :curse:

I have never yet got any kind of infection from pins and I don't think I ever will.

You'll be fine :yesyes:

CorneliusRuperTravis
23-02-10, 23:48
Well I'm glad I'm not the only unfortunate soul this has happened to, hehe.

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. Take care x