PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks while driving on motorway roads

mmichellled
23-02-10, 21:46
Hi
I cam across this website while looking for some information on my current situation. I am stressed and worn out from work, but that's not new. I have always been a nervious driver anhd have got a bit anxious now and again when driving on fast roads but recently this level of anxiety has significantly increased so that I have to avoid motorway type roads completely. I react by all of a sudden panicing, feeling dizzy and feeling that i need to slow down quickly, even if I am only doing 50 mph anyway!

I have to drive 90 miles a day for work so not driving is not an option. Does anyone else have this problem and have you found anything that works? I feel like i need to go to the doctor but I am really worried I will need to inform the DVLA and not be able to drive. Does anyone have any idea on this? I can just avoid this type of road and I am fine even if I take 2 hours to do a 50 minute journey.

Any ideas appreciated

Thank you

smudger
23-02-10, 21:55
Assumably you always drive in peak times. Maybe you could avoid peak times just while you get your anxiety sorted?? If you go to the GP and explain this you won't have to inform the DVLC don't worry. You can't possibly imagine how many people on this forum suffer with this and a combination of counselling and/or medication can help solve it. Has an incident triggered this?

mmichellled
23-02-10, 22:05
Yes i do to travel to work, but even if the roads were empty I would hate it even if driving at 50 mph

Strange thing is on a county road am fine at the same speed.

Nothing seems to have triggered it. Never had seen or been in a car accident. They always happen while driving but come out of the blue not at particular points. Now I feel anxious the whole journay and at the moment cant face it again. I am however generally feeling anxious at the moment.

Deanyboy
23-02-10, 22:10
Hi there, I have had this exact same situation!!!!
What helped me was breathing techniques and just generally controlling my thoughts. I had this problem for well over 2 years, I would go into a full panic attack while overtaking or if I were in the slow lane but thinking bad thoughts.

To be honest, i am not fully over it, but I am far far better with my driving now. I cannot stress how much it would help for you to see a councillor or a NLP therapist so that you can learn the breathing and thinking techniques. This way you can nip it in the bud while it is still early on and avoid going deeper into the rut.

If I would of been told about the NLP or counselling when I first started having problems then I am very confident that I would be completely fine now, but because I left it too long it has taken me longer to get better.

I really do hope that I have made sense in what I have said, I am just talking from personal experience.

Please keep me posted on here!!!

Dying_Swan
23-02-10, 22:30
Hi there :)

Yes I suffer with the same thing. I get panicky - dizzy, lightheaded, hot, shaky - on motorways/dual carriageways...and like to slow right down. Like you, I am also fine on fast roads that aren't dual carriageway. For me, I think it's the feeling that you can't just pull over on a dual carriageway, so it feels like you can't escape if you need to. It's horrible and I really feel for you.

The best thing, although it probably doesn't feel like it, is that you have no option but to drive alot. It is so important not to start avoiding the roads that make you panic. I did and it got much worse. Once you start avoiding things, you reinforce the fear in your head and you can end up making life much more difficult. The greatest thing you can do to overcome this is to keep facing it and keep challenging it. After a while, the fear will fade.

I think going to see your GP is a good idea. I told my GP and there was never any suggestion of informing the DVLA. Sometimes it just helps to share your worries with a professional who can reassure you and/or direct you towards further help.

I am a great believer in CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). There are usually waiting lists but it is available on the NHS or you can pay to have it privately.

There are courses available, which I found through Google, specifically aimed at drivers with a motorway phobia. Unfortunately I don't have any more details but have seen them advertised.

In the short term, practising relaxation exercises can help. If you do them at home and practice lots, you should be able to use them when you feel anxious. I tend to find I hold my breath driving when anxious, although I don't do it consciously. Learning to control your breathing can help. Also, try eating mints or gum, which can help distract you. People have advised me to try exercises like counting the number of red cars you see or adding up numberplates...that sort of thing. It all helps to distract you from the feelings of panic. Singing helps me a lot! Put on some music you can sing along to, and do it! It regulates your breathing and is suprisingly effective.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little. Good luck and let us know how you get on. I wish you well :)

Maj
23-02-10, 22:41
I think it's all about reducing your anxiety levels, but I know lots of people who just don't even attempt to drive on a motorway, so don't beat yourself up. I think if your doctor can help you regarding reducing your anxiety, then when your confidence will grow and you will cope with the motorway driving better. I feel for you because it can't be easy if you need to do it because of your job, but I'm sure you will get through this.
Myra:hugs:

Oneday_Emma
23-02-10, 22:51
Hi, I also have the same emotions to deal with when driving, although im not a nervous driver like yourself. There is no need to contact the DVLA, i felt like doing this, but really it's like falling at the first hurdle. You must not allow these anxious moments to consume you.
I recently drove 85miles, and the thought of the drive turned out to be more chaotic than the actual drive itself. If there are more than 2 lanes then use the inside one and take your time, go at your own pace, dont think about how your feeling, think about what there takling about on the radio maybe, or play music and build up a story in your head about the lyrics. Do things that come naturally to you, if you force an idea, then you will panic even more, as you tense up.
This has helped for me. Please don't give up, and dont contact the DVLA....Keep your chin up, and think positive.
All the Best x

it's_just_a_phase
23-02-10, 23:33
Hi

Just like Deanyboy I get panicky when overtaking these days. I'm a very confident driver but when you're generally anxious about other things going on in your life it's not surprising that your anxiety will show itself when you're driving because you are on high alert.

My heart starts thumping, my breathing becomes shallow and I get all fidgety, it lasts a couple of minutes or so (feels longer!), it's horrible when it happens because there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to calm down. But it does pass.

I think concentrating on deep breathing might help, maybe have some music on and sing along cos that would help with your breathing and take your mind off things.

Maybe keeping your speed down would help too, so that you have more time to react to things whilst you're feeling a bit on edge.

x

smudger
24-02-10, 10:32
Hi. How was driving today?

gaz1983
26-02-10, 17:38
Yes I had one of the most intense panic attacks I ever had driving on a buy dual carriageway didnt last long but honestly thought I was going to pass out at the wheel

claire_2910
04-03-10, 20:55
hey i have set myself the task of overcoming my motorway fear this summer. I have driven on the motorway before really confidently, overtaking with not a care in the world. Now i am dreading going on. I am ok in the slow lane, but sometimes you HAVE to overtake the caravan or its dangerous to slow down for it! when i over take i go all light headed and funny and i generally open the window. I know people recommend confronting your fear and doing it more, but aren't i a danger to others around me if i'm like this on the motorway??

maggar
20-06-10, 14:55
It seems there are a lot of people with similar problem, good luck to whoever have solved their's and are ok now.

I was a very confident driver including on the motorways and use to love motorways. I always drove fast in the outside lane and with no problems whatsoever. Never had any accident thank God.

But for the last 10 years or so, I fear motorway driving and sometimes dual carriageway as well. On ordinary roads i am still king and have ABSOLUTELY no problems; but the moment i enter the motorway- i am a mouse and even at 50mph, i am panicking.

When the problem first started, i stopped at a service stations to have a break but it made it worse because i realised how fast the cars are going and i was overcoming it by going fast in the outside lane to cut the journey time, and playing loud music and singing along. Now it has got so bad, i just don't go on motorways. The last time i went, i wasn't comfortable even at 50mph; even though on ordinry roads where the limit is 30mph- i can confidently drive at 40-50mph and am always irritated by slow drivers who don't move!

I have tried deep breathing, relaxing -nothing seems to help. I know it is pschological but has anyone tried any medicine or any hypnotist who has solved his problem that way? Please respond- thank you!

sad1
22-06-10, 20:20
Sounds like talking treatments will definately help you but it takes a while to get accepted onto those. In the meanwhile you should try relaxation techniques starting with breathing exercises. This link should help you overcome your panic attacks which could be very dangerous not to yourself but to other drivers too - http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dRomUH8z70sC&lpg=PP1&ots=SFFOLDydlE&dq=anxiety%20sufferer%20stories&pg=PA85#v=onepage&q&f=false

Neo
23-06-10, 07:02
Hi
I cam across this website while looking for some information on my current situation. I am stressed and worn out from work, but that's not new. I have always been a nervious driver anhd have got a bit anxious now and again when driving on fast roads but recently this level of anxiety has significantly increased so that I have to avoid motorway type roads completely. I react by all of a sudden panicing, feeling dizzy and feeling that i need to slow down quickly, even if I am only doing 50 mph anyway!

I have to drive 90 miles a day for work so not driving is not an option. Does anyone else have this problem and have you found anything that works? I feel like i need to go to the doctor but I am really worried I will need to inform the DVLA and not be able to drive. Does anyone have any idea on this? I can just avoid this type of road and I am fine even if I take 2 hours to do a 50 minute journey.

Any ideas appreciated

Thank you

I so identify with you, except I'm on a motorbike. Take care of yourself and let us know how you get on. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

a&m
07-07-10, 17:38
Hi everyone
I am so glad that I came across this website....thought I was going mad! I have been driving for best part of 28 years (omg that long!!) and love driving, over the last couple of years myself and my partner have travelled from the south up to Scotland and I have thought nothing of it. Not any more. I have started to have 'panic attacks' exactly as some of you have described, I can be driving along on a motorway in the inside lane and I start to feel tingling coming up from my toes, I feel lightheaded and know that I am going to pass out! I fight and fight against it as I dont want it to beat me and I dont want to take medication. It is so exhausting. I had to take my partner to casulty on the weekend for a cut finger by the time I got there I thought I was going to need it. As I sit here writing this I can almost feel the anxiety starting. And if I know I have to travel later I start to worry.

Can I say that I have found all your suggestions helpful and the number of times recently that I have counted from 100 to 0 in 3's and never get to zero!!

Thank you all for your advice and for knowing that I am not alone.

Alison:hugs:

mollers
13-08-10, 15:44
So relieved to find I am not going mad! I have been driving on motorways for years and had no problems. For the last month or two I have started to panic when driving over 60 and when overtaking; I feel like my car is swerving to the left and that it feels 'light' and out of control.

I had my car checked out as I was convinced there was something wrong with the steering but there isn't. I can only assume that because I tense up so much the car feels weird to drive.

I don't drive excessively slow in the inside lane (usually 60 or maybe 55mph) but the other day a lorry tailgated me so badly, flashing and right up my backside I became terrified. He couldn't have got any closer behind me and then pulled out erratically into the middle lane, so much so that I was forced to swerve onto the hard shoulder or he would have clipped my car he left so little room. I had to pull off at the next exit as my legs were like jelly.

I am so stressed out as this problem has come out of the blue; I literally dread having to overtake or change lanes, especially if downhill or on a bend as I almost feel like my car will tip over, this is no doubt due to my tenseness. I don't know what I can do about it but it is some comfort to know that this is a problem common to other people. :unsure:

paulaf
13-08-10, 18:19
I just passed my test a few days ago and tried driving on the bypass with my husband as a passenger yesterday and was so freaked out by the lanes, roundabouts and not generally knowing where the hell I was going, as well as the speed, I totally understand why motorway driving would be scary. Gaz if you feel that bad perhaps you should have some time off work until you feel better? Could you speak to your doc about it?

snippy
13-08-10, 18:35
Hi, to all fellow panic attacks drivers!!

I started having panic attacks whilst driving about 7 years ago, so much so, that I stopped driving for 4 years.

The initial panic attack was on the motorway, a wide road !!!

I was so cross with myself and my anxiety re driving, as I saw so many people happily driving around, that I thought, thats it,,,,,

Firstly I strapped in a huge teddy bear in the passenger seat and did little trips in the car, ie around the block.

I kept doing this every day, until i felt comfortable, then I started venturing a little further and so on and so on.

Still today I dont drive on motorways as I dont feel I am confident, but a few tips below may be able to help you.

Carry a bottle of water, as panic makes your thirsty.
Ensure your mobile phone is fully charged.
Carry a pack of baby wipes, as these are really useful to wipe over your face and neck, if you should panic.
I always insist on a recovery service, should any faults arise in the car, help will be only a phone call away.
A nice cd, which you enjoy, I have happy singalong songs, that remind me of summers when I was care free.
I always have chewing gum, as this acts as a distraction.
Oh and not forgetting a sat nav, some of which are reasonably priced, as the voice soothes you and lets you know how far to go etc.

With these on board, if you should feel panic, pull over, tell yourself this will pass, freshen up, maybe give a pal a call, open the windows and take some nice slow deep breaths.

This works for me :-)

Motorways however, I havent cracked that one yet, but one step at a time !!!!!!

Snippy:D

axeman75
20-10-10, 23:47
I'm glad I've finally found other people to share this with. First of all this may sound weird but my daytime job is being a driver although I rarely need to use the motorway whilst working so it's when using my car that the panic starts.

Mostly there is no problem at all but the main issues are when it's busy and you get idiots on the road. Also when I need to overtake a truck or use the fast lane I just freeze and get very tense, I can feel my palms sweating and gripping the wheel. I just can't seem to get past quick enough so I can return to the inside lane.

Crazy thoughts seem to enter my mind such as,
"What if that driver hasn't seen me and pulls out?"
"What if I get a blowout?"
"What if the something happens to the car?"

These may all seem irrational now but are very real and frightening at the time.
I can see my girlfriend looking at me but I daren't say how I'm feeling because it would just make her worry and worsen things. The sheer feeling of anxiety gets so bad that all I want to do is pull over on the hard shoulder.

The way I deal with things is to talk to myself round, put the blowers on cold, slow my breathing down or try not to think too much about it.

All in all motorway driving is probably safer than most A & B roads due to all traffic going in the same direction and no sudden sharp corners but It's the feeling of knowing that you can't just escape that makes it all the more scary.

shawsey1
26-10-10, 12:38
Hi i have been driving for 7 years now always was a cofident driver but lately these panic attacks have started whilst driving on motorways if im going round a bend!
I feel like im losing control of the car and thats its going to tip, and i need to get into the inside lane.
Starts with a tingling and i feel like the car is going into another lane.

its so hard to explain
i just feel like i am losing control of the car

Driving me crazy
11-09-12, 04:03
Thanks for posting this. It is great to read about people experiencing the same fears as your own. I have always loved road trips and not given driving a thought but now it is constantly in the back of my mind. If someone invites me somewhere my first thought is...will I have to go on the motorway to get there? I experience a rush of adrenalin and an overwhelming desire to want to slow down. I get heart palpatations and feel like I am going to cause an accident! Going downhill seems to be bad and also long stretches of straight road. I really only feel comfortable on residential roads.
I tried going to hypnotherapy/ NPL and this was really successful however I could not afford more than 3 sessions. However after 3 sessions I was game enough to get back on the motorway and my heart was not thumping out of my chest as I merged with the traffic.
I generally just don't like the idea that I can't get off the road easily and that a car behind me may want me to go faster. What will people think of me? What if someone wants to carpool with me and expects me to go on the motorway?
I would definitely give hypnotherapy/NPL a go and try not to avoid the motorway entirely - perhaps just a small section at a time. I sometimes move my rear view vision mirror so I can't see the traffic behind me and turn up the radio and sing to my kids to distract myself (probably not a safe idea but it works!)
Good luck everyone

Gu2012
11-11-12, 23:49
Thanks for posting this, I thought it was just me..I also struggle big time when driving on motorways (I'm fine on other types of roads) I get panicky and really anxious, not so much about other cars/overtaking or the speed I'm doing but the fact that I can't just stop and get out of the car to take a breather if I'm really anxious..the more I think about it the worst it is!! it's a horrible feeling and it's worst when I am on my own, so when I plan my car journeys I try and avoid motorways as much as possible or drive with someone to keep me distracted of my bad thoughts, the "wider" the motorway the worst it is forcing me sometimes to think that I should go off at the next exit and take a back road or something..it's an horrible feeling...this whole thing got a lot worse after a trip to the airport when I had a mechanical breakdown on the M25 late at night and "help" didn't arrive for 2 hours..I've had work-related anxiety problems before so I'm wondering if this has something to do with my driving issues on motorways.. if anyone has found some techniques to help control this it would be great if they can share ..thanks

Edie
12-11-12, 09:19
I've had a lot of anxiety about driving after having 2 accidents, both minor, and neither my fault. I think the fact they weren't my fault is part of the problem, not knowing what other people are going to do.

The thing that helped me the most was having a couple of driving lessons. My instructor said my situation was extremely common. He gave me hints and tips for dealing with the particular situations I struggle with. I still get anxious, but I no longer take time-consuming detours to avoid "scary" junctions.

I even managed to drive a hire car down the freeway in the USA on the "wrong" side of the road!

imeldamarquis
12-11-12, 10:11
Hi

Any ideas appreciated

Thank you

Hi I suffer from this problem and have completely the same symptoms. It has now escalated to being frightened when my husband drives on the motorway. I do find that citalopram helps to ease this but only take half a 10mg tablet every other day.

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 ----------

Hi I just wanted to let you know I suffer exactly the same, and now it has escalated to being afraid of going on a motorway when my husband drives. I start CBT tomorrow and am trying to be hopeful about it. It may help you to know that you are not alone.

Tarrant
12-11-12, 11:01
Hi my neigbour have similar situation, in accident he killed someone, after that he changed and can no longer drive.
His wife read book Mrs Wanda Pratnicka 'Possessed by Ghosts' and asked her for help.
Now has changed to his normal state and he can drive.
If are you interested i recomend her book.

almamatters
12-11-12, 11:11
I suffer this but strangely enough am fine when I am moving it is when I am in a traffic jam that I start to panic, in fact the thought of getting into a jam puts me off driving. Is this a claustrophobia thing? Biggest nightmare is traffic jam on a dual carriageway :ohmy:

Billingham
03-01-15, 17:29
This is a real problem for me. Mine started about 8 years ago and then i was able to fix it and drove normally for a while.
Then it came back mainly cause my head has control over my thoughts and i was commuting for 2+ hours a day on motorways. It manfested at first as getting nervous about overtaking lorries, then cars then anything that my head told me was going to make me panic, ie a slow motorbike!
Eventually i stopped overtaking then just stayed in the slow lane and tailgated lorries and i did this for a couple years and was quite relaxed about it.
Then junctions became a problem.
Basically anything that is to the left of me causes me panic, so passing a stationary object on the hard shoulder, drving past the exit road as im no longer on the inside lane, same for the entry roads but these are worse as cars/lorries may end up alongside me.
keep right signs on the satnav always alarm me as i know i have to have traffic on the inside of me at some point.
I've not driven a motorway for about a year now and dual carriageways can be just as bad.
I always use a satnav so i know how far the strecth of road is, i relax if its 2.2 miles or something, tense a bit more if its 5 miles and freak out if its 17 miles! roundabouts are my friend, at 0.5 miles to the roundabout i look to overtake anything im stuck behind and feel in control.
So for me the main reason for the panic is that i dont feel in control, theres not much to do on a straight road! no braking, steeering, feedback so my mind has time to panic. Its also about whats on the left of me and that includes being able to escape or stop.
I think ive had this too long now to correct it sadly.

courierdude
03-01-15, 17:52
it is a lack of control thing isnt so you feel like you are going to lose control even more.

motorway driving is a bit like driving on rails, long straight lines and not much to do.

i understand this aspect of playing it safe behind slow moving vehicles but staying in the slow lane and overtaking things will reassert that sense of control we need and make you more comfortable as you make progress.

Billingham
03-01-15, 18:14
it is a lack of control thing isnt so you feel like you are going to lose control even more.

motorway driving is a bit like driving on rails, long straight lines and not much to do.

i understand this aspect of playing it safe behind slow moving vehicles but staying in the slow lane and overtaking things will reassert that sense of control we need and make you more comfortable as you make progress.
Yes it feels like total lack of control almost like i want to just get out of the car! Its adrenaline and after an episode now i feel shaky from it.
I no longer have to commute so dont have to drive motorways.
Giving up alcohol has helped remendously and i believe thats where it all started anyway.
I used to LOVE driving and was great driving motorways. I was always at around 90mph 3rd lane and used to drive them in a correct way using anticipation and observation to facilitate other vehicles. I still remember driving 3rd lane, windows down on a hot day and one arm banging the door skin to the tunes i had i on, i used to be so chilled driving and always saw it as a challenge to go as far as i could in a day.
On a positive note, the places ive seen now that i Avoid Mototways on the satnav are amazing. There are some beautiful roads out there if you have the time to drive them. I dont usually mind the extra time it takes if im alone but if family are in with me then they add to my stress as its why are you driving like that type of thing.

boo1970
04-01-15, 19:50
This is exactly the reason I have joined this site. I had my first panic attack last year driving on the M25 near London, it was absolutely horrendous and I thought I was going to pass out. I used to be a confident driver but this completely shook me. I think what triggered it was that I was tired and stressed and there were lots of horrible aggressive lorry drivers driving up behind me and overtaking me and cutting in in front of me. It is such a shame as I now cannot face motorways at all and will add hours to a journey just to avoid them. It doesn't help that my husband doesn't drive so I have no one who can take over at the wheel. I had another terrible attack 2 days ago - driving back to London from Brighton (of course taking country roads rather than the quicker motorway route). I had my children and one of their friends in the car and the feeling of responsibility overwhelmed me and I honestly don't know how we got home. At one point I considered just abandoning the car at a train station and taking them back to London. I am feeling really down about it as I used to love driving and right now I can't imagine ever being able to drive outside London again. At least in London no one can go over 30 mph and there is lots of stopping and starting so people can't speed up behind you like on country roads. Sorry I haven't really got any advice yet as I am still not sure what to do myself, but I really want to solve this. I shall look into some of the suggestions in other posts in this thread. I just wanted to say that I really do understand how you feel and truly sympathise as it is awful! I wish you really good luck and I am sure you will overcome it.....