PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety & Food

Kafrin
09-02-04, 18:07
Hi All-
I'm relatively new to admitting I may have a panic disorder-and have a question.

Recently I have started the Atkins Diet. I love it because I have lost a lot of weight on it before, but since I have cut out the carbs(about 2 weeks now) My anxiety level has gone through the roof!

Bad Idea?
Kafrin

mico
09-02-04, 18:44
Hi Kafrin

I'm no expert on diets, but I do know certain diets can affect your levels of anxiety.

I think Meg is normally the expert on these types of questions but I think I remember seeing a post were she said she was going on holiday for a week. Have you tried the search facility at the top of the page, maybe there has already been something posted on it.

mico

Rennie1989
09-02-04, 18:59
Eat a few more carbs if ya need to, just a few a week

Jade

nomorepanic
09-02-04, 21:25
Kafrin

My mum did really well on the Atkins but she did say that she help quite poorly for the first 4 or 5 days and she didn't think it would suit me cos of my panic attacks. After that she felt great!

Maybe it is because of the side effects that you started to feel a little worse.

Have you tried any other diets?

Nicola

Meg
09-02-04, 22:13
Atkins is awful for anxiety. We need carbs as instant energy but make them complex carbs.

Put hypoglycaemia into the search at the top and the last few threads will come up . Much anxiety can be calmed by regulating your blood sugar - the Atkins really adds extra stress on your kidneys, pancreas and adrenals..

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
09-02-04, 23:07
there is no quick-fix to anything in life!

a calorie controlled diet,combined with exercise...is the only really healthy way to lose weight.

best wishes...bryan.

Kafrin
10-02-04, 06:12
Thanks all..

Lottie32
10-02-04, 09:52
Kafrin

STOP! Go to the local bookshop or Amazon. Buy the Low GI Cookbook (I can't remember the author, but Meg posted it, so if you search you shall find).

I have been suffering from terrible anxiety over the weekend, and suddenly realised that it was due to lack of food.

Since taking Megs advice and changing my diet I feel alot better, and have lost some weight too (although not intentionally)

There is a whole diet section in this cook book too.

The basic principle is that we eat too much processed, sugary and fatty foods. This means our blood sugar is forever soaring and falling, creating cravings for more sugar. This perpetuates the cycle, and encourages those 3pm chocolate cravings, and the feeling of lethargy etc. in the afternoon.

Basically the low GI diet is

Chicken
Fish
Gammon
Meat

Vegetables
Fruit

Pulses
Beans
Oats

Avoid cakes, fizzy and soft drinks, biscuits, anything processed, all junk food.

Replace anything "white" with "brown" i.e. rice, wholemeal bread and pasta. Sweet potatoes and yams instead of normal spuds.

There is a big list in the back of low GI foods. The aim is to eat predominantly low GI foods, with some medium and high.

For example on Saturday I had

Breakfast
Porridge with honey and dried fruit
Green tea

Snack
Apple
Bottle of water

Lunch
Jacket spud
Tuna fish
Salad
Low fat fruit yoghurt
Bottle of water

Mid afternoon
Chocolate
Apple
Bottle of water

Tea
Gammon with stir fried veg

(Lots of apples, but I don't really like fruit!)

I am not as tired as I used to be. My anxiety levels have definitely dropped. I do not crave sweet things any more. I have lost a load of water retention.

I am also taking Omega 3 fish oils and Vit B Complex, which I am sure has also made a difference.

The diet basically encourages healthy eating, concetrating on fresh fruit and veg, and low value carbohydrates. (Which incidentally is very similar to the maintenance diet Atkins recommends after you have stuffed your arteries with cholesterol for a month)

Give it a whirl - I'm a believer!

Charlie

Rennie1989
10-02-04, 18:24
My nan does weight watchers so try that, she is really happy, and healthy.

Jade