PDA

View Full Version : hypnosis for anxiety and depression

ElizabethJane
24-02-10, 16:10
I am soon to have a course of hypnosis under the NHS for six sessions. It is rare to find this type of therapy under the NHS. I have had hypnosis before and I want to work on my sleep problems and my very low mood. I went into Waterstones recently and looked at the hypnosis cds but dont want to buy one until my course starts in April. I asked the therapist last time if they had one but they were in the process of re doing it. Last time the sessions were filmed for training purposes. I am wondering whether I can refuse this if I want to? I will let you all know how I get on and whether my sleep improves and there are significant changes in my mood.

blacksheep
25-02-10, 00:28
Yes you can request that your sessions are not filmed, they have to ask your permission for this, simply say you are not comfortable with this and do not want to be filmed, they cannot make you. I had hypnotherapy, not sure it had a long lasting effect but at the time the relaxation from it was addictive! good luck x

ElizabethJane
01-03-10, 18:49
I have had the letter outlining the sessions today. There will be four in total going to six maximum if they think that you need it. The only problem was that they changed the time which annoyed me a bit but I think that the new times will be ok if I do a bit of re organisation. I sent a message to the therapist but he hasn't replied to that abour recording but I think that I can refuse if I want to. I actually thought it was ME who had got the appointment times wrong thinking that I might have misheard them but it was THEM . I have to sign a consent form plus a beck anxiety inventry and The HADS scale for depression. There is also another questionnaire called a BDI-II might mean something to somebody. I am actually looking foward to the sessions now. I still can't decide whether to buy a sleep cd from the internet or not. My husband said that I was talking in my sleep again last night. He does not remember what it was about. Ther annoying thing is I can't remember anything about it although I'm going to start writing down the bad dreams that I experience. I know I've had them but I can't remember much about them.

pete69
12-03-10, 20:23
my partner karen is thinking of having hypnosis for panic attacks, so would be interested if anyone has found that it works. thanks pete

bottleblond
12-03-10, 20:27
Elizabeth

That's fatastic that you are getting this on the NHS. I did try it but only once. I was far too anxious to get into it but had i carried on with it, it may have been of benefit. It cost a fortune too.

You will definately be able to stop the filming of your session as they would be breaking the law otherwise.

Very best of luck with it and please let us know how you get all.

All the best hun

Lisa
xxx

nervy-paul
16-03-10, 15:00
I am still waiting to get in to see a local hypnotherapist, they are still booked up, have been for months - which is great in a way, but hoping I can get in soon to help alieviate my extreme phone phobia/phone anxiety.

ElizabethJane
16-03-10, 19:13
Sorry Paul that you having to wait for hypnosis. I am lucky as my treatment will be on the NHS but this is vey unusual. There is a local GP who has a specific interst in hypnosis and the treatment is done at the doctors surgery. There are several of the practice nurses there who are trained too. The only disadvantage is that they like to film the sessions as they use them to train others and to perfect thedir own techniques. It does not start until April but I'll let you know how I get on.

Jannie2948
16-03-10, 19:26
Hope it goes well for you ElizabethJane. I too start CBT tomorrow night and the therapist has said to me that the best thing for anxiety is hypnosis. I said that I was a bit scared of trying that and she said she would talk me through it and go from there. I am having to go private as no help from the NHS.

I hope you get on ok when you receive your treatment, I will post on here after my session tomorrow night and let you know how it went with mine.

All the very best to you.

Jannie x x

Jannie2948
18-03-10, 06:58
Started seeing the therapist last night, she was so nice. Talked through lots of things in my life and found it very easy to talk to her. She started me very slowly on hypnosis and it was nothing like I thought it would be, very relaxing. She said it is the best way to deal with anxiety/panic so I'm giving it a go :-) Another appt next week :-)

Jannie x x

littlen
25-03-10, 13:47
how do get it it on the nhs? i ask my docter and he said no.

ElizabethJane
25-03-10, 19:18
I live in an area where there is a GP who is contracted to undertake hypnosis on behalf of the PCT (Primary Care Trust) on behalf of the NHS.

ElizabethJane
15-04-10, 18:35
I had my second session yesterday and I think that it went well. I am much less depressed and more suggestible to hypnotic suggestion. The sessions are primarily to tackel with my sleep problems and I suffer from sleep paralysis, sleep walking night terrors and difficulty going to sleep and staying asleep. I also suffer from night terrors and nightmares on a regular basis. The techniques that the therapist seem quite simple and after putting me into a 'trance' or relaxed state I am asked to enter my sleep 'room' and to describe it. 'Archiving' my worst recurrent nightrmare was very difficult to do. I am hoping that the techniques will be lasting and that I will see some real improvement in my sleeping.

nervy-paul
15-04-10, 19:12
Sounds very encouraging!! I hope you continue to get on well with your hypnotherapy sessions. :yesyes:

ladybird64
15-04-10, 22:33
Hello EJ :)

I'm glad to read that the hypnotherapy seems to be helping you, I will keep fingers crossed that your progress continues.

:flowers:

nervy-paul
26-04-10, 19:18
Just to update. After waiting around four months to see a hypnotherapist, found out (through my Dad ringing - as my phobia is telephones) that the hypnotherapist I was trying to see has relocated. My Dad found another, and after much consideration am going with them a week on Friday, they are nearer, though a little more expensive. They do a two hour session, and if you need to go a for a second session, they don't charge - so I suppose you can't say fairer than that! So I am feeling quietly confident I can soon wave goodbye to (at least) one of my worst phobias.

Martin Burridge
04-05-10, 10:50
I became interested in hypnotherapy when I had some mild anxiety problems 15 years ago. Self hypnosis got rid of these very quickly. Years later a relative had severe agoraphobia and couldnt leave the house at all. A hypnotherapist friend of mine had her out and about in 3 sessions. (That was 10 years ago). She is still living a full life. So my experience of hypnotherapy has been very positive. Theres a lot of information about it on the web so do some research before you select a practitioner.

iwillgetbetter
04-05-10, 15:12
I just read a book by Valerie Austin about self-hypnosis, it was very interesting and I'm now thinking about going to see a hypnotherapist. I went to see one a few years ago and was not impressed, it was just like seeing a counsellor except with the light s off and my eyes closed- I didn't feel at all hypnotised eg. was just as self-conscious as usual. I suspect she wasn't a very good one-am going to do a bit more research next time.

ElizabethJane
08-05-10, 15:54
the web address is: www.chelmsfordmedicalhypnosis.org.uk (http://www.chelmsfordmedicalhypnosis.org.uk). If I am allowed to post this. It is a GP practice in Essex that also takes on patients for hypnosis both NHS and privately. This is where I have been having my treatment. EJ

IrishPrincess
08-05-10, 18:01
I did hypnotherapy,and it helped me so much, it is like everything though u get out of it what you put in. My anxiety came back but only because I didn't keep up the work.

thetube82
13-05-10, 23:30
Elizabethjane, a few answers....... the BDI is the Becks Depression Inventory, another scale to determine/diagnose depression, ........you can refuse to be filmed. My own view on this is that i'm not too sure where is the long-term evidence-base is for hypnosis?

Jannie2948, i am very surprised and shocked that a CBT therapist suggested the best intervention for anxiety is hypnosis, maybe worth discussing it more with the therapist.

ElizabethJane
14-05-10, 15:19
To the tube: my sessions were not filmed so that was ok. I know about the Becks depression scale as I had filled one of these in previously. There have been many studies about the effecacy of hypnosis. My problem at the moment is continuing the processes I have learn't during the sessions. I have one more session booked but I am still experiencing nightmares.

Captain
19-05-10, 01:36
I have been reading this thread with interest as I have recently contacted a Hypnotist as I suffer from depression.

I keep on hitting flat spots when it comes to the different medication that I am taking so I think its time I try something else to see if it helps.

How are you finding the sessions, are they helping or is it to soon to notice a difference?

Captain :)

allergyphobia
20-05-10, 17:48
Am very very interested to find out about hypnosis, im in the west midlands, anybody got any advice, i have phobia and health anxiety x

Martin Burridge
22-05-10, 23:27
Heres some info on what hypnosis and hypnotherapy is. Hope it helps

Hypnosis is a totally natural state of mind. You enter this state many times during the day. As you awake and fall asleep. When you are day dreaming. If you have ever been driving and can't remember the last 5 miles you have been in a state of hypnosis. During this state the conscious mind (which is usually busy processing up to 8 things at a time) becomes quiet because it has little to do. While your conscious (or logical) mind is quiet your subconscious mind becomes more active and can be accessed. In hypnotherapy the therapist helps you to reach this natural state to access your subconscious mind. Your subconscious mind contains many wonderful things like your creativity, and all your memories. But it can also be responsible for limiting behaviours e.g. phobias or nervous habits. By helping you access your subconscious mind the hypnotherapist can help you remove these limiting behaviours and improve your life by giving your subconscious mind positive suggestions.

Because of the many misconceptions about hypnosis some people wonder if it is working when they experience it for the first time. There are no flashing lights, no falling asleep, no weird feelings, no losing control and your hearing still works fine. You simply start to feel gradually more relaxed as the hypnotherapist guides you on how to relax yourself. There is nothing magical about the process of hypnosis. It is simply being able to deeply relax.

A common technique used by hypnotherapists to treat phobias is visualisation. By visualising the situation that triggers your phobic reaction while in a deeply relaxed state (hypnosis) your mind finds it easier to cope with and can start to reduce the associated anxiety. Its a bit like exposure therapy but from the comfort and safety of the therapy room.

Going home
23-05-10, 00:36
Ive often wondered about hypnosis but have always been nervous about the losing control idea...that's the thing with anxious people though so its sometimes a catch 22 situation....not wanting to put ourselves in that situation but wanting to feel better about our fears. Its good to have it explained more clearly, thanks.

Anna xx

Martin Burridge
25-05-10, 23:41
Yes people with anxiety disorders are often nervous about hypnosis and it can be a big step for them to start therapy.

If you are nervous about the hypnosis experience ask the hypnotherapist to introduce you to it gradually.

A simple 1 or 2 minute visualisation is enough to relax a client slightly. This can be built up to a 10 or 15 minute visualisation and achieve a deeper level of relaxation.

Once the client experiences the wonderful relaxed feeling that hypnosis brings they become more comfortable with it and the therapy can begin.

There are many good books on self hypnosis also which can help you understand what it is and how it works. These books usually contain visualisation exercises or muscle relaxation exercises. The same techniques are used by hypnotherapists just they guide you instead of you guiding yourself.