PDA

View Full Version : Does Citalopram cure the HA faulty thinking??

skippy66
25-02-10, 13:51
Doc has prescribed me a low dose of citalopram for a month to break the cycle of my health anxiety,

I'm reluctant to take it for several reasons, but if I hear enough success stories I'm willing to give it a go.

The reason this isn't posted on the citalopram forum is because I'm chiefly asking about it's effect on Health Anxiety.

Will it stop me from thinking every headache is an impending stroke, or every ectopic is sudden death???

Thanks

melvin
25-02-10, 15:22
hi mate iv just gone on to them doc gave me 10mg iv decided to take 5mg and see how i go for a month i don't like mind altering drugs really but like you i have h / anxiety i feel im getting worse with it so i have to try something

KK77
25-02-10, 15:57
On its own I don't think it'll cure anything I'm afraid. But it can certainly help you move forward in terms of getting to the root of your anxieties. I think that drug therapy should be used together with talking therapies and self-help. There are some excellent books by people like Claire Weekes, Anthony Robbins, Paul McKenna and others. I would definitely look into this along with taking citalopram.

agnes
25-02-10, 16:52
Doc has prescribed me a low dose of citalopram for a month to break the cycle of my health anxiety,

I'm reluctant to take it for several reasons, but if I hear enough success stories I'm willing to give it a go.

The reason this isn't posted on the citalopram forum is because I'm chiefly asking about it's effect on Health Anxiety.

Will it stop me from thinking every headache is an impending stroke, or every ectopic is sudden death???

Thanks

Hello Skippy...I'm on Citalopram. I find it helps to reduce my anxiety levels and consequently, I don't worry about my health constantly. Like you, I was caught up in worrying about every little symptom and thinking it was far worse than it was. So it may well be worth you trying it out?

skippy66
25-02-10, 17:21
When you say reduced anxiety levels do u mean you feel sedated like Valium or is it more like walking round on a high?

agnes
25-02-10, 17:35
When you say reduced anxiety levels do u mean you feel sedated like Valium or is it more like walking round on a high?

For me, neither of those, Skippy...more a generalised feeling of being calmer...and being able to look back and realise how anxious I had been.

Micky82
25-02-10, 17:57
Hi Skippy.

My doc put me on 10mg Citalopram which I took for a month. He then upped it as it was having no effect to 20mg which I took for another couple of months. I didn't feel any positive benefits from it to be honest.

Probably not the answer you are looking for but I would encourage you to give it a try as it seems to work for a lot of other people and I had no trouble stopping taking it.