PDA

View Full Version : If I had cancer would I be losing weight?

Micky82
25-02-10, 17:25
Hi all

Just hoping somebody more knowledgeable than me can answer this for me to stop me googling it.

Have had a really bad week this week and at the moment I am totally freaking out about espohageal cancer. I am only 27 so know in my mind the chances of having it are tiny but my heart is telling me different. I get chest pain on a daily basis which is radiating to my spine and this along with my acid reflux has got me convinced. I can feel a lump in my neck on one side - lymph node?

This has been a fear of mine for a long time and I saw a gastroenterologist some months back for constant indigestion when I didn't take my omeprazole. He saw no need for any kind of endoscopy at the time and just told me to give up smoking but I am thinking I really should have pushed him.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit now. The one thing I am clinging to is that I have had no noticeable weight loss in the time I have been feeling really bad - 6 months plus now. If I had this form of cancer or indeed any form would I be losing weight?

I am actually seeing a counsellor tomorrow so hopefully she will sort me out but in the meantime anything anyone knows about this subject would be appreciated.

sammie23
25-02-10, 20:50
Yes when you have cancer you lose alot of weight and find it very hard to eat. I can tell you that you DONT have cancer and being an anxciety sufferer myself i to worry on a daily basis about my health and my biggest fear is cancer. If it was cancer and its been going on 6 months you would be serious ill and in hospital hun. Hope this helps x

barbn
25-02-10, 21:55
I concur with "sammie" - I am not a Dr. but I do know that one of the symptoms of many different types of cancer is losing weight without even trying. And of course I am sure that is a symptom of about a million other things as well. Try not to worry - sounds like acid reflus to me!

randomworry
25-02-10, 23:33
hey micky yeah acid reflux is something that can be chronic in loads of people so try not to worry about it. It is nothing serious as your doctor also thinks.

nomorepanic
25-02-10, 23:47
No - you don't necessarily lose weight with cancer but there are loads of other markers to indicate it

sammie23
26-02-10, 15:44
Yes you do lose weight. My grandad, nanna and friend has all died from cancer and they lost alot of weight. And whenever i have been at the doctors with concerns over cancer he told me on many times that one of the first signs of cancer is losing weight and not being able to eat.

Micky82
26-02-10, 17:31
Thanks everyone, thats what I thought with regards weight loss being one of the first symptoms.

Have been to see a counsellor today and while I am not entirely convinced about her motivation to help me (she seemed indifferent to say the least) it at least felt better to talk about my cancer / brain tumour fears.

countrygirl
26-02-10, 19:06
I know someone who had this type of cancer which is almost unheard of in anyone under 60 anyway but his only symptom was that he suddenly couldn't swallow food or if he did it would come back undigested within 15 minutes. this was a dramatic symptom and of course becasue he coulnd't eat anything other than liquids he lost loads of weight - agree with nicola that usually most cancers do not produce dramatic weight loss until that cancer is terminal ( metastatic) and again this is dramatic weight loss while eating normally.

I have a hiatus hernia which gives me constant heartburn and I have to take meds for it and still be careful. Smoking will make heartburn worse and increase your risk of oesophageal cancer so please stop smoking and take your meds to get rid of the heartburn as its the heartburn over many many years that can rarely but occasionally casue this cancer.

You are so young you could stop the bad habits and improve your health and future health no end - go for it!