PDA

View Full Version : Orca kills trainer in Sea World, Florida

smudger
26-02-10, 00:40
Today, a 40 year old trainer was killed by Tilly, a killer whale. I have seen the show at SeaWorld in Orlando and it is 'amazing' for want of a better word. Very sad for this lady with 14 years experience training killer whales. However, the clue is in the title. She was dicing with death the day she chose to work in this way with these creatures. These majestic kings of the sea are not instruments of entertainment. THEY BELONG IN THE SEA.I now wish I hadn't visited the show because I disagree with them now. I feel sorry for the family of this trainer but I feel sorry for the whale too. It knows no different. I think SeaWorld needs to put morality and safety before profits. Why of why do we push everything to its limits and beyond?

SueBee
26-02-10, 00:58
I agree, using wild animals for entertainment is just asking for trouble.

I truely feel sorry for the trainer and her family - my heart goes out to them :hugs:

yorkylover
26-02-10, 01:37
Totally agree,sorry for the family but they are killer whales at the end of the day.Just like these people who train lion's ect,they are all wild animal's.:mad:

smudger
26-02-10, 16:17
Can a captivity bred whale live in the sea? Suppose thats a daft question really, can't exactly ask a whale that question!Silly me.

yorkylover
26-02-10, 18:27
Maybe not,but its understandable why it gets frustrated!!!!! :mad:

smudger
26-02-10, 18:55
Absolutely. Ill be sad if they kill the whale though. Expect SeaWorld will feel obliged to put it to sleep. Its been involved in a killing before. U think humans wud learn! Lets put down the greedy idiot who first decided to profiteer out of caging a wild animal and making it do stupid pointless tricks. No lets not, lets take that person away from their natural environment, make them eat LIVE fish and triple salco through flaming hoops of fire for their remaining life! I'll pay to see that!

bottleblond
26-02-10, 18:57
This whale had killed before so i think more caution should have been taken by everyone involved in these events.

The only reasons i believe these wild animals should be kept in captivity is A. for their own health and well being ie: if their lives are at risk living in their own inviroment.
B. That their enclosure is the same as their natural habitat.

That poor Whale has been living in a space that is far too small.
As long as wild animals are kept in these conditions, there will continue to be tragic deaths.

Lisa
x

Maj
26-02-10, 19:17
I'm sad for the trainer, but always sad for these poor animals who have no say in how they live their lifes. I even hate to see poor donkeys with people riding on them - and camels. Paraded up and down for hours on end. My heart always goes out to them. I know they were used as the only mode of transport many years ago but there's no need for that now. Now they are only used for people's entertainment and it sucks.
Myra

KK77
26-02-10, 19:55
The thing is that these creatures are highly intelligent - far too intelligent to be hemmed in and made to repeat the same things over and over again. Imagine being locked in a factory day and night, made to repeat the same tasks over and over again. We're not robots, and this is why robots have taken over such jobs. In the end you'd probably snap - completely flip out - and that's what this poor creature probably did - sad as it is for the person who died as a result.