PDA

View Full Version : Sex Education

smudger
25-02-10, 23:55
My friend did the detailed sex education talk with her 8 yr old daughter last week. Actually told her what bits go where. Because they breed staffordshire bull terriers she witnessed them mating and naturally this led to questions about babies. She is in a mixed year class with my daughter who is 9. I haven't had that conversation with my daughter yet as she hasn't asked. Do you think I should raise it because they are stuck together in and out of school? They are bound to talk? Don't want her to grow up too quickly but on the other hand don't want her to be naieve or scared. Your valuable opinions are very welcome.This is SO important to get this right and time it right!

lior
26-02-10, 00:30
I can't say anything from a mum's point of view, but I remember when I was 9 and everyone around me was talking about sex - well, the bits they could understand. I didn't really understand it until an adult explained it to me. I don't think any child could explain much about sex to another child, because it is simply beyond their comprehension. I wouldn't worry too much about your friend's daughter talking to yours about it - she might not at all! And if she does, it's a natural part of childhood to talk about what adults do.

Oh and also I remember playing mummies and daddies with my brother when we were little, and the way we'd pretend to have sex was hug each other and roll around on the bed, like kids do when they're rolling down hills. So even if she does find out a fair bit, she still won't get it... she's not sexually mature, so she just won't.

But then I really don't know anything about parenting! Good luck, I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be the best thing x

sunshine-lady
26-02-10, 00:36
Hi,

I am a firm believer of teaching children about life including sex education. When my son was very young I bought him a book from the early learning centre which was all about the human body. It covered everything in a very basic manner, but it built a foundation which we progressed with in time ( he was more interested on why we fart!). I was determined to educate my son about things that I hadn't been, but in a gradual way in which he could understand.

I remember being 8 years old and doing handstands. A girl who was 9 at the time had blood on her underwear, we were all very scared and of course the poor girl was besides herself. None of us had a clue what was happening and thought the girl was seriously unwell. Of course she had started her periods, but was totally unaware and unprepared.

Sex, relationships, reproduction and bodily functions are part of life. I think that we owe it to our children to teach them the facts rather than them hearing stuff in the playground and getting confused. It also opens up communication and your daughter will be more likely to be able to talk to you about any issues she may have in the future.

Good luck xx

eeyorelover
26-02-10, 04:29
After raising 4 children I've come to the conclusion that starting out slow is the best way. Have a conversation but leave it age appropriate and make sure that she knows that she can come to you and ask anything and you will give her a straight forward answer.
That's my opinion anyway.

Jaco45er
26-02-10, 04:57
That's the wife's department, I am just the cook.

BabyRachel
26-02-10, 05:11
I think its important to let your child know that if they have any questions they can come to you at any time and feel free to ask. Perhaps buy a book explaining very generally about the male and female human body.. this could be a good start. Then when the time is right, you can answer the questions :) xx

smudger
26-02-10, 15:13
Thanks everybody. U lot make me larf! My 4 siblings and I NEVER had a talk off my parents!Unbelievable but true. Like the idea of a book. Periods at 9 OH my God! My daughter has worn deodorant since she turned 5...hope thats not an indication of early periods. Starting to get really greasy hair lately too!Jaco45er you coward! Thats exactly what my hubby says!lol! Think we will go get a book to start with......

smudger
02-03-10, 17:00
Hi all. I braved the period talk with my 9 year old n she put the palm of her hand up to me and said "urgh, enough Mum, thats totally gross, I wish you hadn't told me that!" I had to larf!

sarah jayne
02-03-10, 17:16
My daughters nearly 10 and ive been wondering when to have the 'talk' to her, ive been putting it off because she still seems so young to me but i know im going to have to do it soon.......

smudger
02-03-10, 17:29
Hi. Ive read that periods can start as young as 9! Scary! A specific story I read tells of a 9 yr old girl playing handstand in the playground and unbeknown to her had started her period. This sent her in a panic and upset the other kids too because they thought she had hurt herself seriously as did she.

I remember a girl at my junior school starting her period (she was probably around my daughters age) and none of us new about periods. We though she had injured herself as she jump over a chair messing around! We were horrified!

My daughter started using deodorant at 5 yrs old (most of her friends of 9 yrs old still don't need deodorant) and I worry that she will begin adolescence earlier than most so I decided to tell her about periods. You have to do it when you feel its right. Mine was okay really about it coz I made light of it.