PDA

View Full Version : scared of pneumonia!

babydevil666
26-02-10, 10:32
hi,

for the past few days i have had a cough and cold. the cough has now become chesty and i am bringing up mucus (sorry tmi) i have a rattling in my chest and think im wheezing i also have pan in my chest ( but not sure if im imagining this!) i know i should go to the dr but i have been there loads recently and im sure he is sick of the sight of me! im so scared that i have a major infection! :emot-crying:

Vanilla Sky
26-02-10, 11:11
Just say to your doctor exactly what you've said here , that you know you have been in a lot recently but you are not feeling that well and are worried. It may just be a chest infection after your cold , It could clear up on it's own but your best to get it checked. Pneumonia is treatable , don't worry , good luck Love Paige xx

amandaj
26-02-10, 11:54
hi baby thats what drs are there for go as many times as you want to go if you need the help , a course of antibiotics will soon get rid of the problem , if you def dont want to go why not give them a ring and explain over the phone let us know how you get on

aamndaxxxx

Acidomoduso
26-02-10, 12:32
When i had pneumonia a couple of years ago it started with a dull ache in my back in the late afternoon. Just before i went to bed it got very uncomfortable, like someone was pressing in my back constantly. I went to sleep and was woken with a stabbing pain in my back so ferocious that i couldn't stand up and i couldn't take a full breath. This was about 1 in the morning - it took about half a day to progress. I phoned NHS direct who thought i had pleurisy so i booked an appointment with the doctors. He took a listen and said i had pneumonia. He thought i'd caught it by walking into someone's stray sneeze or cough. How could a healthy (ish) 37 year old catch pneumonia? You just can.

I was given antibiotics for two weeks and told to rest and take in liquids. I can still feel where the pain was even two years on. When i get a cold or it's cold outside i feel it aching.

So, on that i would say... If you had pneumonia you would certainly know! That HURT! :weep:

smudger
26-02-10, 15:01
I had pneumonia but I didn't have chest or back pain. I had flu like symptoms and couldn't talk or walk without gasping for air. I left it 3 weeks before seeing a doc n ended up in hospital. They gave me intravenous antibiotics and oxygen. If I had gone to the doc sooner I need not have been hospitalised. The doc could have just prescribed antibiotics!Silly me! I didn't want to fuss! For me, if I have symptoms that last longer than a week and doesn't respond to the usual over the counter remedies, or worsen quickly, I go see a doc. If you are embarrassed (though you shouldn't be made to feel that way)to see the same doc, could you ask for somebody else or a nurse practitioner?

Maj
26-02-10, 15:04
Phone the doctor's surgery and speak to the receptionist about your symptoms. I'm sure that they'll arrange for someone to see you. Especially as it's coming up to the weekend. The sooner a chest infection is cleared, then the better. A wheeze should always be attended to.
Myra x

miss_moose
26-02-10, 17:06
It sounds like Bronchitus, i had i last year, it was like a really bad flu. Ring your doctor just to check, they can come to your home. Mine checked for attling in my chest.
I didnt need any tablets, just loads of fluids and bed rest.

babydevil666
26-02-10, 21:53
hi thanks for all your replies. i have been and seen a duty dr who checked me over and listened to my chest which she said was crystal clear. she thinks i have had a nasty cough which has caused phlegm to rattle in my throat. thank u for your reassurance xx:yesyes:

smudger
26-02-10, 22:56
Glad you went. Better to get these things checked out.xx