PDA

View Full Version : The Positives of Anxiety.

cymraig_chris
26-02-10, 12:12
Post removed by author

gypsywomen
26-02-10, 12:15
what a great post makes me feel better thank you so much there is hope

JT69
26-02-10, 12:32
Hi, fantastic post...sums it all up and has made me feel so positive..Brill!! JO

Mazzmate
26-02-10, 12:37
wow...I love this post, fantastic and positive and constructive, and most of all encouraging. Thank you for that.:D

cymraig_chris
26-02-10, 13:56
Post removed by author

NoPoet
26-02-10, 14:04
Nice one mate, good idea for a thread.

Since becoming ill I've developed more respect for myself and others; my relationships with my family and friends has improved, I've become very good at dealing with children and I am extremely good at flirting with the opposite sex, even though I still chicken out of taking things further.

I've built up a strong support network and made new friends who I care about very much.

I feel stronger and more positive during my good moods, and appreciate life in a way I never did before.

I often do new things that would normally scare me: I'm much tougher, and I rarely take crap from anyone.

I went out and bought a car I've always wanted. Well I wanted the saloon rather than the estate but it's got the right engine and equipment so who cares!!

Also, grim weather doesn't bring me down the way it used to. Goodbye S.A.D., it wasn't pleasant to know you!

Finally I discovered Deep Space 9 and the new Battlestar Galactica. Hooray! :D

cymraig_chris
26-02-10, 14:13
Post removed by author

NoPoet
26-02-10, 14:23
Hi Chris, thanks for trying to make the forum a more positive place, your efforts are appreciated :D

About what I said regarding my relationships with friends improving - my mate just texted me to say he only texts me while he's on the bog because there's nothing else to do - if Guinness made best friends... ;)

cymraig_chris
26-02-10, 15:19
Post removed by author

unspoken
26-02-10, 18:56
Interesting perspective on anxiety, that.

I think the main positives of having anxiety and depression are that I don't judge others quickly for their failures or the bad things they do. I think through what might have been going through their mind and what might have caused them to do that. I think this makes me more understanding and forgiving and my friends find that I am someone they can confide in about their problems because I won't immediately judge them for doing something 'bad' or immoral. I also have more sympathy for other people with 'invisible' illnesses.

Also I realise that my own health and wellbeing are the most important thing. I've learnt not to push myself too far and not to do more than I can cope with. Just because my friends can get drunk 5 nights in a row and be able to function on 2 hours sleep, doesn't mean I have to do that as well. I have realised that my parents both worked far longer hours than was good for them and that I don't want this for myself. A combination of anxiety, IBS, acid reflux, depression and general physical weakness have forced me to slow down and I don't think I'll try to be somebody that I'm not any more.

ladybird64
26-02-10, 19:43
Hmmm. I'm trying very hard to think of a positive thing about anxiety, well my own particular anxiety..I guess the fast heart could be positive but hey, I could do without it.

I have lived a long time with it so I suppose that I accept it as being an integral part of who I am. I don't think I'm a particularly negative person but I do have a stressful life as do many others.

Can I say in a non negative way (:winks:) that I honestly don't believe that things would be so very different if I behaved differently towards the things in life that increase my anxiety?

I must point out that I'm not being negative, just realistic..there is a big difference. :)

cymraig_chris
28-02-10, 21:18
Post removed by author

cymraig_chris
01-03-10, 13:30
Post removed by author

cymraig_chris
01-03-10, 13:53
Post removed by author

messianictalmud
01-03-10, 18:09
I know how this will sound but since the Jobcentre Staff saw evidence from the docs that I have GAD & Panic Disorder they are much better with me and aim to cause less stress for me.

BigDaz
01-03-10, 19:39
A good read. Thanks chaps.

They recommend doing exercise x times per week to get your heart going. I think 'well my heart's races every day, sometimes for hours at a time'.

mantra
01-03-10, 19:43
I like the energy of this thread. Good stuff!

cymraig_chris
02-03-10, 13:24
Post removed by author

cymraig_chris
02-03-10, 13:39
Post removed by author

cymraig_chris
02-03-10, 13:56
Post removed by author

mantra
02-03-10, 20:14
I am greatly enjoying your posts cymraig chris :flowers:

ally b
02-03-10, 20:48
Hi chris
My anx at the min is killing me:emot-crying:.Your thread is ab-fab.An excellent way for a new kind of thinking. AMAZING.:bighug1: Thanks.
ally b

cymraig_chris
03-03-10, 10:42
Post removed by author

Jannie2948
03-03-10, 10:53
I too am enjoying reading this, but please tell me how we stand in the midst of our fear and become stronger? When I am really feeling very fearful, all I can think of is 'I'm going to die any minute', and it is awful. How do I turn that into 'I'm ok, this is only my mind doing this to me and owning my fear'. Is it just something we have to practice or things we have to say to ourselves? When you are in that moment it is so difficult to think positive, HELP!! I've also been reading Mantra's posts and am trying new breathing exercises, but just this morning went to station, no trains because there is a major fire track side and could have got bus and underground to work but am just not able to do it, this makes me feel so negative because I can't get on packed transport without having anxiety!!

Jannie x x

cymraig_chris
03-03-10, 12:05
Post removed by author

Mazzmate
03-03-10, 16:58
You words and philosphy are like beautiful music to my ears, there is such comfort, such encouragement and such positivity, what wisdom. Thank you.

ally b
03-03-10, 19:40
You words and philosphy are like beautiful music to my ears, there is such comfort, such encouragement and such positivity, what wisdom. Thank you.

I 2nd this m8,iv never heard it explained like this ever:yesyes:

Jannie2948
03-03-10, 19:55
Thanks so much for your in depth reply. I find reading this makes me believe that 'yes I can do this' and I will put all that you say into practice. Thanks again, and I love what you have said to me. My eldest son, who is staying with me at the moment, also tells me that I can do this, he has absolutely been my saviour in all of this and he is there for me when I need that push to get me through the bad times. I am determined that I will feel like my contented happy self again. Thanks for all the advice you have given me.

Jannie x x

cymraig_chris
03-03-10, 20:10
Post removed by author

ally b
03-03-10, 20:55
Me again.........
Where do you get all this positive an uplifting advise from(are you a doc in descise?....grammer not so good, sorry,)is it all personal life experiance? You really are truely amazing:yesyes:I want more..lol. I keep reading this tread over an over,the more i read the more it makes sence.Not in a good place at the min,but you make me feel like a can take on the world.I gonna hav to print all this off,an keep it with me,sod the sand paper an elastic bands.You put me back to reality,an you make sence,love ya m8:blush:my fella not so happy:doh:xxxxxxxxx

cymraig_chris
03-03-10, 22:13
Post removed by author

Jannie2948
03-03-10, 22:37
Oh my gawd, how fantastic! You lived with anxiety all those years and now you face it head on and give it what for whenever it rears its ugly head. That must actually feel like bliss. I am most definitely really intrigued by your journey and how you seem to now not only live with your anxiety and fear but you have dealt with it in such a positive way. I too am going to get to that place and feel like that, and I am completely determined. I've only been suffering with this in a bad way for a short while compared to the length of time that you have. But I suppose if I'm truthful I have suffered for many years but it became full blown late last year. I also have a sister who has suffered with depression most of her adult life and a brother that died of a brain disorder at 57 early last year and these have all been things that have had a bad effect on me. As I have said in previous posts I am usually a very happy confident jolly person with two grown sons that I adore and a job that I love. I'm not a youngster in years but inside my head I'm going on youngish!! I usually have a very positive outlook on life and enjoy being with friends and having a laugh, I still can do those things but there is a constant chatter in my head that seems to tell me to beware and that something bad is about to happen and that is what I need to free my mind of and I am determined to get back to that peaceful place in my mind and just tell the anxiety that I'm not scared of it and that it cannot harm me so bring it on and I'll face it.

I too have found that Citalopram was what I needed to just get me off of that terrifying cycle of panic and anxiety and I feel that they have. I now have to go the final few rounds and learn to face whatever my fear is and caused me to feel like this and battle it.

Thank you so much for your very inspirational posts, and I shall keep reading them avidly.

Many thanks

Jannie x x

cymraig_chris
04-03-10, 13:06
Post removed by author

Pancho Villa
05-03-10, 03:40
chris:
I've heard the "message" and I'm looking in my pocket, thanks to you, I think I can find them, I can feel them they're there. Now I can hope that one day I may meet you in San Francisco. Wonderful post chris. This is the very best I've read about anxiety in all my long many years of imprisonment.
Thank you very much!!

cymraig_chris
05-03-10, 12:44
Post removed by author

alexjoan
06-03-10, 09:03
The findings point toward an optimal level of anxiety. While a healthy amount of anxiety grants some survival value, too much may lead to excessive worry and clinical conditions. This may help to explain why anxious traits persist in humanity's genetic endowment, even as environmental threats vary over the ages.

Nechtan
23-03-10, 12:59
Hi cymraig_chris,

I stumbled on this thread by mistake. A google search for 'Anxiety' and 'Alcatraz' directed me here. It was the psychological effects on prisoners that I was actually seraching for. This thread though came as a pleasant surprise. A thoroughly good and fascinating read with the addition of being very positive. The latter I think is vital and a reason why although I don't post much nowadays I still like to read through the 'Success Stories' forum from time to time.

Given that you have a family I am glad you have your life back on track and your outlook is great. There was something I wanted to ask though from my own circumstances. I noted a few posts back you said that you were taking citalopram. I don't know if you are still it on it but if you are do you think you will be OK when you come off? The reason I ask is that I have not been medicated so am interested to know whether medication can help as a short term fix in order to start the recovery process or whether it is more of a crutch. Its just last week I read another post from someone who recommended a book I am reading at the moment as a good way to recover and then I noted they were taking citalopram too.

Thanks for the thread. I have now bookmarked it as I know I will go back and read through it again. The more positive vibes the better as far as I am concerned.

All the best

Nechtan

cymraig_chris
19-04-10, 09:04
Post removed by author

Ronny
19-04-10, 22:18
hello Chris,........wonderful thread,and thanks.I have read a lot of things you say in a book I lent to a friend.Have you thought about publishing your own.I think you should..
Rhonda x:D

Macchiavelli
19-04-10, 22:33
my positives would be I gave up smoking, started eating a little healthier (worried about my heart) and maybe now appreciate things more

and then theres thousands of negatives....

cymraig_chris
20-04-10, 09:29
Post removed by author

Brunette
23-04-10, 10:51
Very well thought out posts Chris,

At the end of the day it's all about getting to know your "enemy" and you certainly have!

Jannie,

I know how you feel about public transport - it is enough to drive the calmest person bonkers sometimes so it is no surprise it is one of the triggers for your fears. It used to be one of mine.

Can I ask you to try something? Next time you feel the panic rising just say, in your head "Oh **** (insert expletive of choice here) off! You can't frighten me." As you say it, be firm about it and beleive it completely.

See what happens - you might be surprised!