PDA

View Full Version : Please God dont give me Akathisia on Sertraline

Panic Man
26-02-10, 17:01
I am now start Sertraline on Monday - I have had acute Akathasia for the past 4 months while taking paroxetine and it has to go.
I would like to read comments from you that are on Sertraline and tell me you did not have this horrible side effect of inner retlessness and the need to pace everywhere, which for me has being more terrifying than anxiety and panic itself and actually causes panic to happen for me.
Positive stories only please!!! :huh:

KK77
26-02-10, 19:33
Only positive ones?

OK. I've been on all the SSRIs apart from escitalopram. Fluoxetine (Prozac) made me very restless (although I'm not sure it was akathisia). Never had any bad reactions from the others.

I've been on sertraline 50mg now for quite a few months and I haven't had any akathisia-related problems.

Start on 25mg first and work your way up slowly to 50mg - that way you should hopefully avoid any bad reactions.

Panic Man
26-02-10, 19:44
Hi Mel, thanks for your reply, I am now down to 20mg of paroxetine since yesterday and will switch to Sertraline on Monday at 50mg - this is because it is the equivelant dose to 20mg of Paroxetine. All I want to do is sit still and be comfortable. Its hell in the Mornings and Afternoons but, for some strange reason, the creepy crawly legs and the need to pace feeling seems to fade in the evening..... SSRI's Woah! :weep:

superjonboy
11-03-10, 17:35
Hi Panic Man.

How have you foud the transition to sertraline?

I've finished my citalopram and start sertraline on sunday at 50mg.

Hope you've been ok.

John.

Panic Man
15-03-10, 15:41
Hi John,

So far so good - still a bit restless now and then but not really any akathisia anymore.

It does give me a bit of wind now which was also making me feel nauseos but doc prescribed me some anti-sick pills which help. Hopefully this nausea is only a temporary side effect.

It has also given me some "never had before ever" headaches which are probably my first encounter with migraine headaches and I am taking co-codomol for that.

Hopefully if this keeps up I can finally get back to the workplace!!! :yesyes:

Hope things are going well with you.

What was up with the Citolapram?

Cheers.

superjonboy
17-03-10, 15:22
Hi, Glad to hear things have improved for you.

I'd been on and off Citalopram for about 8 - 9 years and I'm not sure they worked anymore. My psychiatrist decided on the switch to sertraline.

I'm on my 4th day on the new meds now and have encoutered a few side effects such as lightheadedness, weakness, whole body weakness/feeling light. This morning I woke up in a daze hopefully just DP/DR which will pass.

Froom what I read Akathisia happens hours after starting on sertraline if it's going to so fingers crossed we'll both be ok there.

John.