PDA

View Full Version : itchiness

Rachel W
27-02-10, 02:04
Hi,

Since reading about itchiness being a sign of a certain disease that I worry about then I have noticed that I DO itch a lot. I have done so for quite a while and don't know if I ever didn't, but never really thought about it too much until now. I only rarely get an itchy spot that is intense and that is usually on the top of my feet where the skin is thin and I have scratched them until I have a raw area, but this is quite rare. The general itchiness that I am talking about is just a little tickle here and there that I have to just brush away and it has gone, but this can be more than once a minute.

When they mention pruritus, do they mean intensive itchiness where you have to really scratch? Could the little tickles that I always seem to scratch when I am sitting reading or on the computer be caused by the fact that I spend 30 minutes in the shower daily? I just always seem to have to scratch here and there. I don't notice it while I am out or anything, just when sitting, or lying in bed on the computer.

I hope that it is just dry skin, but would appreciate it if others have such feelings. I am quite worried about it.

Rachel

tnt808
27-02-10, 03:50
I have itchiness- mine is after bathing, showering, or getting too hot. Mine is a symptom of a certain illness- although, mine is borderline...in my mind it's deadly:blush:

I notice it even more now that I know what I have! Do you have sensitive skin? As I have that too. Try some moisturizing cream and see if that helps xx

marley
27-02-10, 05:42
Aha! I know which illness you're alluding to - but that's an altogether different type of itch. I've spent so long obsessing over it, I think I need some extra letters before my name!

With that illness, the itching is literally painful (itching 'til you bleed type of thing) and it can't be controlled without treatment.

Moving on, one of the major causes for general itchiness is showering and dry skin (xerosis). Everybody itches at times. Generally, once you begin to pay attention to doing it, you begin to want to do it more. Like when you think about breathing, you stuff up your rhythm. Same with yawning. These things are autonomic and ingrained. Try not to dwell on it.

:emot-whistle:

rebeccad
27-02-10, 10:25
hi, i have also been worrying about itchiness over the last few days came on here and read this, i have scratched so hard in places i have made myself bleed, please can someone tell me what the certain illness is that can cause itchiness as im so so worried, i have worried over a certain disease for months now and am now thinking that maybe it is the same thing, xx

salimali
27-02-10, 10:44
Hi, I am also having and itch phobia and have thought about a serious illness. Its not intense just all over at random times. I also have a bit of pins and needles feelings all over too:mad: I dont know, but I have read that itching can be pshychological. For example, I dont know about you, but when somebody talkes about flees or hair nits for example I know I start itching. Ive worked in a school where this would happen.
And if it doesnt happen when your busy well that must mean something.
try not to worry:)
sharanj XX

Rachel W
27-02-10, 12:14
tnt808, probably not the same but I did some reading and found the itchiness with the illness I am worried about is usually caused by other skin issues which I don't seem to have. I think stress and dry skin are the most likely culprits, but I am just a worrier and look for every sign and symptom.

Starscream
27-02-10, 12:32
What illness is it associated with :(

I have had it recently really bad leaving me in rashes.

I wasn't sure what it was but didn't think it was associated with a serious illness

What have you been reading ????

marley
27-02-10, 13:01
No no no no no! We're not going to link to serious illnesses here. Let's not go down that road.

The whole point of my initial post was to suggest that 99.999999 percent of itching is either idiopathic/autonomic or unrelated to illness. Any illness. Things like eczema, psoriasis, hives overwhelmingly occur independently of serious illness.

When itching is a part of any serious illness, it's NOT a normal itch. It's an itch which is deep and unrelieved by scratching.

UFC_fan
27-02-10, 17:46
I think that feeling itchy must be one of the most common physical symptoms of psychosomatics, I'm now really itchy from just reading this thread.

Peter_Scott
27-02-10, 17:57
I can make myself itch just by thinking about it, where is that back scratcher when you need it! honestly getting itchy can so easily be set of by our thoughts.

rebeccad
27-02-10, 19:04
so a normal itch that goes with scratching is fine even if its all over and often?

Rachel W
27-02-10, 20:50
I did not want to go down the road of discussing specific illnesses, that is why I just asked it as a general question. I must admit that when I am trying to sleep or in class I don't notice it, so hopefully this is a good sign. I have been getting a hot feeling when i lean my back against a surface too, like my skin is more sensitive to heat from being trapped, so maybe it is just that my skin is on edge right now. the burning is horrible, but got better for a few days when i kept a wet towel on my radiator (I have been spending MOST of my time in a house that has the heat on 18 hours a day between 70-77 degrees F (20-25 C) and I take 30 minute showers so perhaps it is just getting irritated by the hot dry air and then the water.