PDA

View Full Version : Beating the Panic Monster AGAIN

Scaredtoolong
10-02-04, 03:55
Hi All,

I know I haven't posted in a while, but to tell you all the truth, I have been enjoying the joys of beating the panic monster so much that I didn't realize how long ago I posted. But then...the panic monster returned...uh oh you say...wait...there is a happy ending to this...

So here is my update. As some of you know I was a top notch panic sufferer. I suffered with the best of you. Then one day (well okay many many many days) I found my answer to panic. I faced the beast and I won. I have been doing reallllllly great for months now. A few days ago however, "it" returned. I must tell you that I had been through some stressors, not watched my diet (snuck in some caffeine) not been eating right...well you all know the routine. So anyway, my first thought was "Oh my GOD! He's back" I was frantic, sick stomach, the runs, the trembling, dizzy, the whole works. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Well...this lasted for two days, when I had a realization...yes, Radar, another light bulb....I thought to myself okay I beat this once, I can beat it again. What's the worst that could happnen? Therein lies the answer...I had already been through the worst that could happen...low and behold just telling myself that was like "instant cure" again. So, if any of you are currently realizing success but worrying about the future...DON'T!...it is the same as the past...once you beat the monster he may try to sneak back into your life...but...only if you let him in.

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Hugs, Susan

Lottie32
10-02-04, 10:34
Hi Susan

Glad we haven't heard from you in such a long time - in the best possible sense, cos you haven't needed us! I'm hoping that soon I won't have to post, and can just offer encouragement, cos I too have cracked it!

Maybe you should ban all caffine products from your house, then you won't be tempted!

So glad you are feeling so much better, and we haven't heard from you for all the right reasons!

Charlie

nomorepanic
10-02-04, 22:06
Hi Susan

Great news and thanks for coming back to tell us.

I like to think that people stay here even when they feel better so they can encourage others so please keep us updating on how it goes.

Great news though eh?

Nicola

benoo5
10-02-04, 22:41
well done susan,

your last two posts have been inspiring...people like yourself,are so important to sites like this.

like nicola says..please keep coming back..your words will encourage others...best wishes..bryan.

sadie
10-02-04, 22:59
Hi Susan,

Well done for finally being able to cope with your 'panic monster'. As you mention, It does get easier as time passes especialy when you lose the fear of panic. I too like charlie have seen some light at the end of the tunnel and feel I am getting back to my old self. It is hard work and requires a lot of determination but IT CAN BE DONE!!!!

What I have found is the more you tell yourself that it is ONLY Anxiety caused by exhausted nerves, through lots of worrying etc..and NOT a serious illness, heart attack or whatever the less severe the symptoms are. After telling yourself this at least 3 or 4 times it becomes imprinted in the brain and therefore easier to believe when the symptoms occur and eventually they disappear. Yes they may come back when we feel a little stressed etc but as you mention we have coped before, we can definetly cope again!!!

Thanks for sharing with us just how well you are coping. Keep in touch.

sadie

Scaredtoolong
12-02-04, 02:56
Hi all,

Glad to hear from you!!! To Nicola, I promise to keep posting so as to hopefully be an inspiration to others. To everyone else, NEVER GIVE UP HOPE! I honestly believed that I was THE worst panic-er that ever walked the face of the planet. In an odd sort of way, I am actually glad to have had it return because it helped me to realize that no matter if "it" ever returns again that it is no big deal, I can deal with it. I know that "it" is no more than stress and the physical symptoms that accompany stress that is the underlying source of panic disorder, I just think that folks like us are more sensitive to it. Probably because we are more sensitive people in general and most of you will probably agree we also tend to be perfectionists, overachievers and are highly motivated & creative people. That is why we are hit so hard by the panic monster.

I again want to use this opportunity to THANK everyone on this site. Without you I don't think I could have beaten the monster. Your encouragement and guidance was invaluable. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! I have my life back again.

Hugs, Susan