PDA

View Full Version : Supermarkets

Jaco45er
27-02-10, 16:09
Anyone ever feel on top form and then walk into a supermarket, to end up having a near panic on ?

Happened to me today in Tesco's, and that was before I paid for the shopping.

In these times of where there is blame there is a claim, I wonder if I could sue Tesco's for triggering my anxiety, because it's never happened in the Coop :)

sb001f8994
27-02-10, 16:18
Im the opposite, I feel anxious before going into Somerfield and then on top of the world when leaving. Could be Im chuffed because Ive just faced a fear or that the people in there are so nice!
About a claim to tesco's, unfortunately I doubt it!

Jaco45er
27-02-10, 16:24
Damn, we haven't got a Somerfield around here.

Corinne
27-02-10, 16:41
You could come to the US and have a panic attack at Giant Eagle.:D

That's where I'm headed today out of necessity. I've noticed that the further back in the store I go, the more panicky I become. There are no escape doors back there! Taking one of the grandkids with me which is good and bad. Good because I won't be alone and bad because she knows nothing of my fear. I have to hold it together for her.

Wish me luck. Going in an hour.

margaret jones
27-02-10, 16:57
I had a panic in Netto ?? wonder if it was there fault because they only had i till open and the waiting upset me ???

Take Care Maggie

Vanilla Sky
27-02-10, 17:12
This happened to me one time and it was in tesco lol. A full weeks shopping and i felt a wave of panic so i just abandoned the trolley and fled ! :blush: Oh well happy days , had to go to another supermarket the next day and do it all over again , took me ages to show my face in the said tesco !

AJS
27-02-10, 17:25
hey paige it didnt happen to be the tesco in greenock a few weeks back did it?
(saw your scotland flag)

I saw a trolley abandoned near the checkout there a few weeks ago and I thought to myself - i bet someone like me has started to panic and just left the shop.

I have put things down and left shops before but never with a whole trolley full.
:)

cat25
27-02-10, 18:47
Anyone ever feel on top form and then walk into a supermarket, to end up having a near panic on ?

Happened to me today in Tesco's, and that was before I paid for the shopping.

In these times of where there is blame there is a claim, I wonder if I could sue Tesco's for triggering my anxiety, because it's never happened in the Coop :)

I've had PA's in Tesco too-maybe you're on to something with the claiming thing :shades:

DirtyMouse
27-02-10, 19:33
Maybe it has something to do with the lighting used or the way they set there shops up but tescos always sets me off. Ive been near fainting at some stages but it normally passes, ive walked out once when it was Christmas time with one till open and around 15 customers, screaming kids and everyone was packed together in the Q like tinned sardines. Never ever doing that again, I tend to be ok when Im on my own, and more panicky when im with someone shopping. Maybe i was a hermit in a past life :)

Brianthesnail
27-02-10, 19:56
hi all
I no want you mean to do with going in to supermarkets found out it was very hard to go into the shop for over ten weeks or more .
I went to the co op and go in very finishing as the shop open.
The only thing that made me go to the shop is my two cats as thay need to be feed.
the finish time i went to a big supermarkets got the food and nearly talk out the shop went had fill up.
I had to walk put the place to pay.
I now go it to all supermarkets at all times for the day or night.
This take about 1 years to get over this , you must keep trying all times.
hope this help you and all that read it .:)
brian

bottleblond
27-02-10, 20:16
Jaco

I was in Morrisons for the first time in years a few weeks ago.

Supermarkets are a big panic factor for me but when i did go shopping regulary, like Brian, i would go when it was quiet, mostly first thing in the morning. I also tended to avoid the lager stores and stick with the smaller ones..we have two Morrison here, the big megastore type and the normal little one. I wouldn't even attempt to go into the large one Lol.

Your not on your own with this one mate!

Lisa
xxx
:hugs:

Jaco45er
27-02-10, 20:20
Blondy lass, I can't believe you have ever avoided a lager store ;) xxx

bottleblond
27-02-10, 20:22
Lmfao...have you ever heard of on-line shopping?! :roflmao:

snippy
27-02-10, 20:22
I often have panic attacks in tescos, they make the isles too wide and sometimes you cant see windows,,,that does it for me and when you are waiting at a check out with a slow customer infront of you with like £50 quid in money off tokens, half of which are un redeemable, oh and they are old and cant hear,,,aarrrrggghhh, I have left shopping before at a check out,,,I prefer smaller shops but they are more expensive !!!!!

snippy
27-02-10, 20:33
I must add a tip here !!!!! I used to go to Tesco 3 times a week and found it very daunting,,,,but i found a new goal in my life,,,best time to go is 6pm,,,reducing time,,I find my goal walking round the ready meal section, usually tesco finest, finding food that runs out that date and handing my findings to the reducing man (after 6pm tho) it is then reduced to 25% of value and I take it home and pop it in the freezer,,,,it gives me incentive as i save money,,,and mean more money for wine,,,,, dont try it before 6 tho other wise it is 60% reduction, and i know all the reducing men at my local store,,,I then like to look at what I have saved from full value to paid amount when i get home and always raise a glass for good old tesco,,,god i am such a miser,,,just cooking some tesco finest in the oven,,lasagne,,,normal price £4.99,,,price i paid £1.25 yum yum

Slothette
27-02-10, 21:14
One of the worst PA's I've ever had has been in Tescos - hate the place! lol

darrenc
27-02-10, 21:18
There is a brilliant Co-op supermarket in Oakham, where the isles are extra wide and it's all lit with natural lighting. It makes such a change of most supermarkets which have artifical light and feel so packed.

mandie
28-02-10, 00:39
Hi

I have most of my panic in supermarkets. I can be fine all day and once im in supermarket i feel dreadful

Asda and morrisons are the worst for me

mandie x

moomintroll
28-02-10, 11:32
i get panics doing food shopping, i am fine until i cannot find what i want to get in my head, then i start to panic and get really upset other times i just wander aimlessly round the supermarket and get into a panic cause i cannot find what i want :shrug:

Jaco45er
28-02-10, 11:48
I must add a tip here !!!!! I used to go to Tesco 3 times a week and found it very daunting,,,,but i found a new goal in my life,,,best time to go is 6pm,,,reducing time,,I find my goal walking round the ready meal section, usually tesco finest, finding food that runs out that date and handing my findings to the reducing man (after 6pm tho) it is then reduced to 25% of value and I take it home and pop it in the freezer,,,,it gives me incentive as i save money,,,and mean more money for wine,,,,, dont try it before 6 tho other wise it is 60% reduction, and i know all the reducing men at my local store,,,I then like to look at what I have saved from full value to paid amount when i get home and always raise a glass for good old tesco,,,god i am such a miser,,,just cooking some tesco finest in the oven,,lasagne,,,normal price £4.99,,,price i paid £1.25 yum yum

LOL I like your style there Snippy :)

nervy-paul
28-02-10, 13:34
I have never liked being in supermarkets - of any name or type. I can't say it has ever given me a PA, but I feel most uncomfortable in the place, however big or small the shop is, I feel on edge and can't leave quick enough, always on edge on in a busy crowded shop. I also hate queuing, I feel anxious and edgy and hate people standing to close to me - why do people do that?! :mad: It is sooo annoying and sets my teeth on edge! I sometimes just had to dump the stuff I am getting and leave. A Sainsbury's has recently opened near us and they have self-service checkouts - saves all that embarrassing one-to-one awkwardness with the checkout staff!

smudger
28-02-10, 13:42
Funnily enough I NEVER had a panic attack in my life in a supermarket UNTIL I started mirtazapine! Okay now though as I'm nearly weaned off. So far so good!

Vanilla Sky
28-02-10, 13:52
No AJS it wasn't greenock lol , i'm further up :)

shortstuff
28-02-10, 14:29
Around 2 years ago, I had the my first really big panic attack in Tesco's (they do seem to be topping the list for some reason) and abandoned a trolley in the frozen food section. I gradually got worse and terrified of all supermarkets and would only shop between 3am and 5am.

During CBT one of my targets was to find a queue where someone would also stand behind me (which made me feel trapped) and ride out the panic. I went into Morrisons and couldn't find a queue, so moved on to Tesco - again no queue, then finally onto ASDA to complete my task (ended with awful panic attack as I was leaving the shop). My therapist said I'd gone shopping for a panic attack and got one :)

Persistence did pay off though and after a few months I was able to shop during normal hours again. I still get a bit anxious if its really busy, and the ironic part is that I have relapsed into agoraphobic behaviours again but one of the places I can still go is . . . Tesco :shrug::yesyes:

Keep going in there folks, and if anyone can find the 'blame' for Tesco's, let me know and I'll join the mass suing :winks:

Nic

Jaco45er
28-02-10, 14:44
right

So if you walk into a supermarket, and it's full of ghosty full trolleys with no one pushing them?

Leave ;)

shortstuff
28-02-10, 14:51
That would've been every supermarket in Barnsley then. I lived there for about 3 years and have never known anywhere like it for people leaving their trolleys in one isle while they run off to get something from another part of the shop :shrug:

mummy4
28-02-10, 21:06
I hate supermarkets with a passion and guess which is worse.....yep TESCO!!!! i avoid it so much but i know that is not the answer! Saying that, i did go in yesterday just to get a broccoli and cauli and find im not usually too bad in the first section for tesco its when i become 'deeper' into the store i find i start to panic. Went to sainsburys today and felt slightly on edge but not too bad. It does make life very awkward though and 95% of the time i will shop via tesco.com sad really though as would love to be able to go myself to do a full shop.

madgilmore
28-02-10, 22:16
Yes this has happened to me plenty of times. Feeling fine before I went in and as soon as I enter the supermarket it hits me full force (palpitations, dizziness the works). It's hit or miss with me, usually worse if i'm on my own. :weep:

onceagain
28-02-10, 23:46
I did my shopping today at TESCO....lol, I only go once a month... never been great for shopping but it has got worse and worse..

I didn't do too well today..infact I even cried... everyone is right, the lay out of aisles..the lighting, the crowds...those people that get in your way and block the aisle whilst having a chat...the disregard for personal space... I go dizzy..panic and want out... I managed to finish the shopping today but think I will go for home shopping...I'd even done a list and then thought ah I may as well go its nicer to see what you are buying...but next month its not happening...internet shopping here I come baby ....

Hugs

kate1
05-03-10, 06:44
Yep same here too, have had to get out, sometimes ok shopping, sometimes not.

Calling for Tescos to do an anxious shopper night????

magic girl
09-03-10, 11:08
iv had a bit of a giggle reading this post as im terrible with super markets so luckily we dont have a tesco.when i was o.k i used to shop in morrisons but where i live there are a few deprived areas and people who live there also shop there so it was full of people swearing and shouting at kids so since my relapse at christmas iv had to shop in the only other supermarket nearby which is waitrose and its quieter but its costing me a fortune.

diane07
09-03-10, 11:27
When you think about it, years ago, we never had supermarkets as such, everyone shopped in the corner shop.
I think whats happened is when all the supermarkets came into place and started competing with each other, the shops just kept getting bigger and bigger, now some of them are huge.
I have kind of tackled my problem with supermarkets, i started off with not looking for the exit door, by instantly looking for an exit we are telling ourselves that it is not a good place and we need to get out.

That bit alone was a massive turning point towards my recovery, the other thing i do while i'm in the queue is concentrate on the cashier, i always think, he/she can't just get up and leave their till, where as i will be out of here in a couple of minutes.

Don't know why, but them two thoughts kind of got rid of the panic.

sarah jayne
09-03-10, 12:24
I had my first ever panic attack in asda and avoided going shopping for a year, my hubby had to do it instead ! x

magic girl
09-03-10, 19:17
my hubby had to do the shopping a few years ago as i could'nt but then we discovered online shopping but i still have to go to the supermarket midweek to get things we have run out of,i found the bit about abandoned trolly's amusing as iv dumped many trolly and baskets in my time.

JT69
09-03-10, 20:24
Bizzaire reading....whenever shopping in Tescos and sometimes with my mother-in-law with me often just feel panicky, sometimes o.k. but amazing what some people have said in this thread.....makes you wonder!!!

Jaco45er
09-03-10, 20:29
Tesco's is bad enough, but shopping with my mother in law? gawd I am having palpitations just thinking about it ;)

diane07
09-03-10, 20:30
:roflmao:jaco

Jaco45er
09-03-10, 20:36
I read somewhere that it's the light and open space flooding the anxious mind with too much information.

Because they are usually big, bright places and packed full of people and colours, all the information that the mind has to process from the eyes overwhelms you.

Interesting that Tesco's seems to be the common one, is it just because everyone shops there (1 pound in every 10 spent shopping is done in Tesco's), or do they use a more light possibly?

Anyone know the CEO of Tesco? ;)

JT69
09-03-10, 20:39
Tesco's is bad enough, but shopping with my mother in law? gawd I am having palpitations just thinking about it ;)

LOL:D

hopers
10-03-10, 09:31
i was shoping in tesco once and started having a panic attck and held on to the frezzer door, some one thort i was in labour and foned an abbulance i got my shopping for free lol