PDA

View Full Version : Interview coming up and worrying already...

bonzarinababy
07-01-06, 17:47
Hi

First of all sorry for not being on here in the week – it’s cos I’ve been back at work and I’m rubbish at doing anything when I get home form work except sit in front of the tv cos I’m so tired… anyway… so I went into work tues & wed and all was ok ish (mainly because I didn’t have to speak to anyone really I think) but Thursday I was having a bit of a wobbly day, then got asked to attend a meeting… really didn’t feel like it but made myself go, spent first 20 minutes or so having the typical ‘I’m going to gave a panic attack’ ‘no you’re not’ argument whilst sipping my newly found rescue remedy in water – which I think eventually helped calm me down and I was alrightish. Armed with my rescue remedy Friday was okish too, so I went to Boots last night and bought Aspen and Mimulus to take too.

Woke up this morning feeling quite perky so, as I have an interview on Wednesday, decided to go and get my hair cut (but get panicky when at hairdressers, as I know quite a few of you who post on here do). Had my Aspen and Mimulus in water and sipped it all the way there but about half way through the cut started to feel really bad. ‘don’t worry’ I told myself ‘you’ve got your rescue remedy in your pocket, go to the loo and take it and you’ll feel a bit better’ – so I did (feeling stupid asking to go to the loo mid-cut) came back, sat there and twitched and fiddled and fidgeted, desperately trying to think of anything other than panic, or alternatively trying to tell myself it was ok I was having an attack and to just go with it cos I’d be ok – but nope – I had full blown I HAVE TO GET OUT NOW feeling and told the hairdresser he’d have to stop. He was sooooo lovely about it, so much so that I then started to well up, just to add to the total arse I was making of myself. As soon as I got out, of course I felt absolutely fine and have just come home feeling incredibly downhearted as a) I haven’t ever had to actually leave the hairdressers before and b) I have an interview on wedneday and the last two times I’ve had interviews I’ve had panic attacks, so although before I told myself this one will be different, now I’m convinced I’m going to have an attack at this interview and therefore obviously not get the job :(

Any advice on how on earth I’m gonna get through the interview would be massively appreciated – I do have beta blockers and diazepam left over from when I used to have attacks before, but both make me a bit drowsy and spaced out, and I have to take tests at the interview so not the best option me thinks… trying really hard not to be negative about it but really not seeing how things are gonna work out well on wednesday :(

Thanks for reading my massive post – sorry I know I waffle on…

BB x

Worry gives a small thing a big shadow.

seh1980
08-01-06, 11:11
hello there!!

I can understand why you are feelng anxious - interviews are scary whether you have panic attacks or not!!

Something I would try is visualisation: relax in a quiet room and playthe interview through in your head. See yourself doing just fine and being very relaxed. Do this everyday until the interview for at least 30 min and it really will help.

Good luck!!

Sarah :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Meg
08-01-06, 14:40
Maybe you could go back and get it finished tomorrow or Tuesday and show yourself you can do it at the hairdressers to gain confidence back.

The trouble with hairdressers is there is no distraction apart from grotty mags and aimless chatter, whereas at an interview you will have something to concentrate on fully.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

bonzarinababy
08-01-06, 16:24
Hi Sarah & Meg

Thanks for your messages… I know it’s a tricky one cos there isn’t a magic solution – life would just be too simple if there was I suppose! I know it’s natural to be nervous before an interview, but it’s just the last time I had one I had to leave half way through too (I couldn’t concentrate on a thing the interviewer was saying as I was so busy trying to stop myself from leaving, then when he asked me questions I couldn’t answer, partly because I felt I couldn’t breath properly/was about to have a heart attack/was going to have to leave and partly because I hadn’t been concentrating on what he was saying!!) …and then there’s the train travel (last time I went on a train I had to get off before my stop three different times, adding about 1 ½ hrs to my journey!)… as I said I’m trying really hard not to base my fears on past experiences – but is just hard not to at times, particularly after having a bad day – and I’m not even sure I want the stupid job!! (I only recently graduated so it’s a good opportunity to progress, but would mean relocating, which I’m really not sure I’m up to right now).

Anyway, I’m waffling again… I’ll certainly give the visualisation thing a go – and I’m gonna try and go back to the hairdressers tomorrow, if for no other reason than I’m determined not to have just wasted £30 to this infuriating disorder! ;)

Thanks again,
BB x

Meg
08-01-06, 16:29
BB,

Well, good for you for going ahead and resolving to go back to hairdressers

If you are relocating I hope its to somewhere that you know people and have some support.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

bonzarinababy
08-01-06, 18:21
Thanks Meg - but no, I wouldn't know anyone if I did get the job and have to relocate... which is why I'm thinking I possibly don't want the job anyway... but then I tell myself I shouldn't be letting my anxiety make decisions for me, as the 'normal' me wouldn't have a problem with re-locating (I moved to Cyprus, Bristol & London by myself before going back to uni and being hit by all this).

Anyway, guess I just have to see how it goes, if I get through the interview & if they even offer me anything before I start worrying about what to do if they do...

BB x