PDA

View Full Version : Is breast cancer painful? Please help me!

MOMINPANIC
01-03-10, 17:19
Last night when I went to bed I just happened to touch the upper-inner portion of my left breast and it hurt, like I had a bruise or something. I of course had to feel around for a lump of some sort, but I can't really tell as I have been told my breasts are fibrocystic, so kind of naturally lumpy anyways, which at times makes it difficult to tell what lumps are normal for me and what aren't. I think I might feel one kind of deep. Anyways, I don't see a bruise or anything either. I don't remember bumping or hurting that area. Why would that one area hurt like that, but there be no bruise or visible lump? Is there supposed to be pain associated with breast cancer or because it's painful is it safe to assume I just have a deep cyst? I put some ice on it this morning, but when I took it off that area hurt even more, so now I'm worried!!

Kraggy
01-03-10, 17:52
For as far as I know, when it comes to cancer there is really no pain untill a veeeeery late stage, Unfortionatly. The reason that there is no pain is what causes it to be found out so late. because people have a tendancy to not worry "Because it doesnt hurt". Now dont jump off your socks thinking you've got a late stage of cancer please, Because when it comes to that apperantly the pain is nearly unbearable and you're forced to be put on heavy painkillers and get hospitalized.

If the pain is still there, I really, really doubt that it is cancer - However you should visit your doctor, Maybe not to check for cancer, but more to get yourself some peace of mind and get rid of that nasty ache as soon as possible.

As for what could make the pain even worse - imagine you felt a small, slightly sore bumb. Health anxiety causes is to squeeze, feel and prob it non stop. again and again and again. Causing it to get irritated and not cure, Causing it to hurt even more.

Atleast thats what someone said to me, a long time ago. And those words for some reason really put my mind to rest.

You'll be fine :flowers:

sb001f8994
01-03-10, 17:56
Hi,
Im not an expert here but when you read articles or letters in magazines they always say that its good if a lump or region is sore as breast cancer is seldom painful. I have a family history of breast cancer and my auntie is always getting very tender, lumpy bits of her breasts and they keep an eye on her because of the history. My second cousin who does not have a family link has very tender, lumpy breasts and her doctor doesnt seem to be very concerned apart from doing an examination and sending her on her way a happier soul as this is always an anxious time.
If you are at all worried you should seek medical advice just to put your mind at ease. I hope this has helped a little, I know any little change in my breasts would set me into a panic, this is something I worry about and I check mine once a month but I do think if we find anything not normally there we tend to prod and probe and make things ten times worse.
Best wishes and take care x