PDA

View Full Version : Another outlook on OCD

phil06
02-03-10, 01:32
Just been thinking when you are anxious imagine this:

*If you are a person with actual health problems you would be happy to talk about it to others and share your experience right?

If you are an anxiety suffer:

*If an advert comes on TV which shows something horrible happening (there's a few at the moment) your head says wow that's happening to me, I'm going to have a heart attack or faint or my face goes numb. You may tense up and somebody talks about problems with there health you may also get anxious.

I think the key to non OCD suffers is they can do anything without the guilt, stress, negative thoughts for hours, doubt. I used an example of somebody who has had a bad experience but they may be more uneasy in another way but the OCD suffer is almost selfish to worry as they have nothing at all wrong with them.

So what I'm saying is there's an anxiety mind..if you see something on the news about somebody cheating (ROCD) you may start to doubt yourself and thinking what if I do that. A non anxiety sufferer would be more relaxed to say "No I'd never cheat" but if somebody said to you after that news article you might say "No I hope I'd never cheat, I don't think I would" and you would argue it over in your head. So the OCD spike is the news so you then get into a cycle and think "Why did I watch the news? why did I watch that channel? should I not have sat in another room and I may not have this worry now..."

But I read something on another forum asking advice about a more open society triggering OCD and they quite rightly said if it wasn't that it would be another tiger or another subject as OCD is something rooted over years right? It's a disorder not a phase, not a change of personality.

Now if you make that above example and try it with HOCD (my bigger fear) or ROCD, What if I do this...or all the other terms. You can easily identify a tired OCD mind over brain noise that everybody gets. Back to ROCD..i'm sure 99.9% of the population has thought "What if I wanted to cheat" because it's natural but most people shrug it off. I used ROCD as an example as my HOCD causes me extreme anxiety but I used a few examples in my head it does help.

So OCD is Thought - Fear - Doubt - Spike - Thought - Fear - Spike - Thought until you stop doubting and questioning it's all a cycle. You could also add "advance in" for Pure OCD where it will worsen, deepen or advance in your anxious tired mind. See it like a train what stop do you want to get off? OCD1, OCD2 or carry on and have a normal life? It's an easy choice.

Also a few more tips..what would somebody else say if I told them these thoughts? Would they agree or say no it's totally silly..and do it without actually asking them.

How would your confident, non anxious friend deal with a negative thought?

It's worth a bash but when OCD gets bad it ends up everywhere so you have to accept it's anywhere it can be anything, any form or any subject...I hope that makes some sense. I'm still struggling but just wanted to share a moment of clarity to all as my understanding does help, even if it's only for certain periods of a day.

Also check this link I posted further down here if you are needing a good in depth read and understanding: http://www.ocduk.org/pdf/Pure-O.pdf understanding is half the battle for easing the pain of OCD.

agnes
02-03-10, 10:58
I love those moments of clarity we have...they seem to compensate for all the awful stuff and, actually, seem more real at the time...maybe they are?

I like the idea of the "anxious mind." It seems to put our health anxieties in perspective, as our worries mainly concern our bodies. You seem to be saying that it isn't the actual physical manifestation but the meaning we put on it, which makes so much sense.

Thank you.

riawads3
03-03-10, 19:57
Thanks for posting this thread, its made a lot of sense to me!
i havent been on here a while but today i was sufferning abit and your post has perked me up abit. Just keep thinking ITS ONLY OCD!!! (and not me :)
rhian xxxox