PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable with other anxiety sufferers?

Gregor
02-03-10, 10:32
Hi,

Whilst my anxiety has been bad for quite some time, sometimes i feel more comfortable in the presence of other anxiety sufferers.

Maybe this isnt the best example, but my dad suffers from a fair amount of anxiety. However, i tend to feel more at ease with him because i find myself concentrating on him rather than myself. Conversely, when i'm with my brother, who doesnt suffer, i feel worse with him.

Perhaps this is an isolated case, but i wondered if the majority felt at ease with other anxiety sufferers or does it make you feel worse?

hopers
02-03-10, 10:49
i feel more compatble with other suffres probaly cos im notonmy own any more and can relax and be my self and ifi freek out its ok cos they understand

georga x

Mya
02-03-10, 22:58
Yes I am feeling the same. Communicating with other sufferers has given me some peace and feel I can completely be myself with them. For the first time in my 11 years of marriage I can no longer relate to my spouse because he does not understand this and it is very hard to accept. And like you said in regards to your brother, I feel worse sometimes with my spouse and it is so frightening to be feeling like this.

hungrycaterpillar
02-03-10, 23:06
I often find it easier, as I think you aren't as afraid of letting go if you do happen to have an anxiety attack, as you know the other person goes through the same thing. I also find myself giving others advice, which makes me calmer!
Bizarre.

Mya
02-03-10, 23:11
Yes hungrycaterpillar! You summed it up right there - helping someone else when they are anxious does make me feel a bit calmer as well. As though you are motivated to be stronger for them! It is highly bizarre but all I know is GAD has been an utter disaster :weep: