PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a parathyroid bloodtest and its come back high ?

sarah jayne
02-03-10, 17:01
Hi ive been ill since last summer with various horrid symtoms from daily headaches to aching everywhere in my body. I recently had a blood test to check my pth and its come back high. I had to have another test today to see if it was still high, i wont get the results til next week. The doctor didnt say much about it so being stupid i googled it and it says it can be caused by cancer and other various things. Im so worried now, has anyone else ever had this test and it come back high.
Thanks, Sarah x

LucyR
02-03-10, 17:04
Hi, Can I ask what a parathyroid blood test is please, I only know about a thyroid blood test?

sarah jayne
02-03-10, 17:07
I dont really no much about it, its something to do with hormones / bones, thats all my doctors told me.

randomworry
02-03-10, 19:57
hi sarah jayne sorry to hear you are still unwell.........my headaches finally cleared up from last summer round about november time.

dont worry about the cancer thing .........ive come to realise cancer can cause every known symptom known to man.........lol so that should be the last thing to think of!

ask your GP ........it probably just requires tablets like my overactive thyroid gland.

sarah jayne
02-03-10, 21:28
Thanks randomworry for your reply. Im glad that ur headaches are gone. Mine are better than they were but im still getting them, im sort of used to them now lol
sarah x

MOMINPANIC
03-03-10, 18:43
My sister-in-law had this happen a couple years' back, and all I can tell you is what happened with her. Have they checked your calcium levels as well? Her calcium levels were high and what was happening was the parathyroid was basically absorbing too much calcium and as a result her bones weren't getting the amount of calcium they needed. If left untreated she was told it could eventually lead to osteoporosis. She was also noticing that she was very tired all of the time and had little to no energy. Anyways, she did have to have surgery, which she said was a fairly simple procedure, and she felt so much better right away and her calcium levels dropped immediately.

countrygirl
18-12-11, 21:33
Overactive parathyroid glands are treated with surgery but its relatively minor in the grand scheme of things and not something you have any choice about.

They obviously will want to be totally sure that they are overactive and why so if blood continue to be wrong then you will also be sent for a scan of glands as well.

The reason they re test is that its not uncommon to get false results so they always make sure before proceeding further. There are alot of benign reasons for overactive parathyroid glands cancer is rare.

Sorry you are having this worry just before xmas but hopefully your next test will be okay.

Geoff2301
19-12-11, 11:24
My wife had to have an operation for an overactive parathyroid....... there's 4 of them, very small and they're usually at the side of the thyroid gland. If its overactive, tends to take calcium out of your bones and can cause problems like kidney stones as well as arthritis, osteoporosis.