PDA

View Full Version : Can Thyroxine affect periods?

miss_moose
02-03-10, 22:55
I've been taking tyroxine for underactive thyroid since September (it's still not the right dose). Since i've been on it, i've noticed my period pains are much worse than they used to be, my doctor didn't think thyroxine would affect this, although i do know that under active thyroid causes heavier periods. I think my periods are a bit lighter now, and seem to stop after 3 or 4 days (then start again a day later for another 3 or 4).
Also, i'm late, just by a few days at the moment but do you think it's possible for thyroxine tablets to cause changes in periods?

thank you:)

Kirst24
02-03-10, 23:02
I've only been on thyroxine a couple of weeks so can't really comment on how it would affect periods yet, but I do know that my period pains have been a bit worse since my thyroid problem has developed. I have hashimotos. It could be because you are undermedicated like you say, and that this is just one of the many symptoms of underactive thyroid. Sorry I can't be more help. Have you been tested for antibodies? It could be that if you have hashimotos causing the underactive thyroid you are developing other symptoms as the attack on your thyroid happens.

xx

hallam11
02-03-10, 23:14
Hello,

I saw this post and found it interesting.An angle I'd never looked at. I was born without thyroid gland and have been on Thyroxine all my life. I have very heavy periods and the pain is stupidly awful. I don't know if it does have anything to do with the thyroxine but I just thought I'd throw in my penny's worth.

Laura x

countrygirl
03-03-10, 13:39
Interesting - i worked as an advisor for a thyoid support group and have had underactive thyroid since my early 20's. I do know that if you are underactive this can give you very heavy periods and more painful ones due to the heavy bleeding but I would have expected this to hae been an issue before you started thyroxine - has there been a big change since you started thyroxine???
also what age are you as it could just be that you have gone into perimenopause which can start in your late 30's and would explain your symptoms - i ws in my 30's when I started to get your problem of the period stopping for about 12 hrs in middle of period then carrying on again- this is just wonky hormones usually. I won't even go into the last 3 hrs where I have been very perimeno and the joys of that with periods:mad:
One thing to remember is that the thyroxine literally saves our lives but it is not the exact same chemicals that our own thyroid would produce just the most important ones that keep us alive so even on thyroxine most of us still have underactive symptoms in some way - my blood tests have been normal for years yet I have lost the outer end of my eyebrows have dry skin and battle with weight gain - I diet constantly and am still very overweight grrrrrrr. MOST people return to almost normal when the dose is finally finalised so keep taking the tablets and be patient.
If you feel your periods /pain have altered significantly then ask to see gyny for tests to put your mind at rest.
Most GP's know very little about thyroid glands.