PDA

View Full Version : period pains

smudger
03-03-10, 09:40
Hi all. Has anybody got any natural remedies for period pains please? I take a prescription painkiller called mefanamic acid tablets (non steroid ANTI IMFLAMMMATORY). Trouble is I have to take these as soon as I feel the slightest pain before my period starts and regularly with food throughout. As soon as I slack on the dose, mega pain kicks in. I have never liked taking them but I have long term because they are brilliant pain relief if I'm strict enough on doseage. I use warm bean bags on my stomache too. I would like to try natural ways as it does worry me that I have been using these tablets for 10 years not always with food (especially in the middle of the night when pain wakes me up. The effect on my stomache lining is my concern! At the moment I'm taking omega 3, multi vitamin and prescribed iron tablets so anything natural needs to compliment these. Thanks a bunch if you can recommend something.

biscuitlover
03-03-10, 13:41
Hey,

I don't think taking the tablets for a few days a month will really have any affect on the stomach. Its only people who take them on a daily basis that need to be careful.

As for natural remedies, I found that exercise really helps. Its often something that you least want to do before and during your period but it really helps mine.

We once went on a 2 hours walk on the day i was due to start my period. I got a few aches and a pain at one point but that was it...as in that was it for the whole period, no more pain. Gentle/moderate exercise also produces those good hormones that can counteract pain.

smudger
03-03-10, 14:31
Thank you for your advice.Appreciate that. The pains get worse as I get older. I HATE PERIODS!

Typer
03-03-10, 14:36
There is a herbal remedy that did work for me years ago. I got it in tincture. used black and blue Cohosh. Of course that was a long time ago...no need these days :-)

here is a great site that may help you decide or try a few things

http://www.anniesremedy.com/remedy_use103.php

smudger
03-03-10, 21:49
Thankyou so much.:)

onceagain
03-03-10, 21:53
aloe vera and primrose is supposed to be good.. but have to be taken regularly... never done it so can't be sure ...a friend advised me about it x

Maj
03-03-10, 22:03
When I was younger I used to take awful period pains. The pain stopped for many years and now I'm back to square one in my 50's! I wouldn't hesitate to take a painkiller for this because I find it a bit debilitating to be in such pain, it actually brings me out in a cold sweat. Don't worry about taking a few painkillers for a few days a month. It's hard-going and takes such a lot out of you. You are only human and won't do yourself any harm taking a few tablets now and again.
Myra:hugs:

lior
03-03-10, 22:26
I heard magnesium is meant to be good for periods - but I don't think that really counts as natural. Jamaican 'chocolate' tea helps a bit (but this may be slightly suspicious, a hippy who believed in marijuana and homeopathy recommended it). Foot rubs always help me... relaxes the cramps.
Good luck!

unspoken
04-03-10, 00:20
I find a hot water bottle helps.

Depending on what the cramps are like, sometimes they feel better if I curl up in a ball, other times if I sit up straight or lie down. I find codeine helps to stop cramps when they are really bad, but it will constipate you and it's definitely not natural. If I don't have a hot water bottle handy, Olbas oil, which you can inhale to clear congestion, is also a muscle rub. It feels like it's burning when it's on your skin but I find it's really effective for IBS pains and period pains. Be warned though: it smells strong.

smudger
04-03-10, 08:05
Some really good tips I haven't heard before thank you guys!

Cat80
04-03-10, 10:39
The one thing I have found that helps me with my period pains is cocodomol. I've been taking them every month since I was 12 (the only thing that helps with the pain). I take them for the first 2 days of my period when my pain is bad and also stick a heat pad to my stomach (directly onto the skin rather than on clothes). Makes my periods so much more bearable. Just take them with food as they can mkae you sleepy.

One thing I've just started taking is high dose B3 as after doing some research have found that after a few cycles they can help with period pains. I've only had one cycle yet so won't know if it's working for a while but worth ago. Another thing that is supposed to be good for periods is Starflower oil capsules and evening primrose but again any natural products take 3-4 cycles of working unlike painkillers which are instant

smudger
04-03-10, 14:01
Thanks Cat80. I am really interested in supplements helping me long term rather than the quick fix of painkillers which I get on prescription. ~Cheers.xx

Cat80
04-03-10, 14:21
I'm the same smudger, I just rely on painkillers because I know they really do help with the pain and as I only take them 2 days a month I don't think they will cause any harm. I do hate putting medication in my body though.

I'm on high strength vitamin B complex, cost arounf £650 for 50 100 capsules from Holland and Barrett, just take 2 a day. A high dose of B vitamins is supposed to help period pain within 3-4 cycles so hopefully it will. No side effects other than bright yellow wee lol

This page is an interesting read:
http://womens-issues.com/?p=1670

AJS
04-03-10, 20:13
Hi Girls

I've had really bad period cramp since i was 13 - i used to have at least 1-2 days off school every month.

I'm the same as cat80 i use co-codamol the codeine in them takes the edge off the pain - although they make me very slightly spaced and are not good for long term use as they can become addictive. I have also bought the complete B vitamin complex from holland and barrett - this is supposedly good for anxiety and bad periods and pcos ( i have all of them!) only been taking them for a week so will see how it goes and judge it over the next 2 months.

Oh and I couldn't get through my working day when i have bad cramp (usually first 2 - 3 days of period) without the sticky heatpads and my beloved hot water bottle - although some of the male managers give me strange looks when I walk atround the office clutching a hot water bottle to my belly LOL.

And i've also heard that if you take evening primrose oil all the time helps.

Oh yeah and drink loads of water on the few days running up to your time of the month.

AJ :)

smudger
04-03-10, 21:28
I am interested in this complete vit b complex from Holland n Barrett. I will investigate as I'm already on a multi vitamin, omega 3 , and iron. Cat80, I hope you mean't £6.50, not £650!lol! By the way, bright yellow wee would go lovely with my dark black poops (cause by iron supplemenyts!)

Cat80
05-03-10, 10:31
Lol, whoops, yes I ment £6.50. Don't worry I have dark poop too as I take charcoal capsules lol. Hope the Dr's never want a sample of either as I think they'd be worried.

Definately give the B Complex a go, the ones I have are called Complete B Vitamin B Complex and have mega doses of all the B vitamins in it plus choline and Inositol.