PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, new here

oldgraymare
03-03-10, 18:36
Hi, im a 24 year old female, recently afflicted with severe health anxiety after a bout of "intestinal issues" shall we say, which i had had for years to a small degree, but which suddenly threw me for a loop. i am pretty much a shut in, not so much an agoraphobic, but convinced that im going to get worse whenever i go out. i eat three meals a day if it kills me, despite having little appetite, but i still seem to be losing weight, so i dont know what im not feeding myself heh...i had zillions of tests in the beginning as i kept pestering my very patient doctor and nothing came up except the epstein barr virus, though that was over a year ago. and i really dont want to get into the territory of "chronic" epstein barr virus or fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue or anything like that because its such a contentious issue, as so many doctors and health professionals dont even believe that those illnesses exist, so im afraid to even go there and tell myself it is simply stress, severe anxiety and depression brought on by this huge episode of health anxiety which i was diagnosed with when i was assessed by a mental health professional - generalized anxiety and depression...though of course in my bad moments im convinced its something sinister and deadly. ive also been diagnosed with IBS by a gastro doctor. i have tried many different meds for depression, anxiety, and for my stomach, without much luck.
my symptoms are: derealization, blurred vision, heavy fatigue, weakness, aches and pains especially in the back and neck, constant abdominal grumblings, bubblings, nausea, minor cramping and sudden bouts of diarrhea and reflux without heartburn, and weight loss that i cant seem to get under control. good times.
my health anxiety no doubt stems from my father and brother who both went through hell with their illnesses - they both have addison's disease, an adrenal gland disorder, and my brother also has type 1 diabetes with which he has had many complications in recent years...

im just hunting down these different websites for anxiety and am glad to find this support. blessings and good luck to everyone here.

nomorepanic
03-03-10, 18:38
Hi oldgraymare

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

oldgraymare
03-03-10, 18:48
can i say i just love the 'symptoms' page on here? i men i basically knew all of the stuff but it just...nails everything so clearly and concisely...it will be great when i am in the middle of freaking out, hopefully help put my mind at ease...

RosieXXX
03-03-10, 18:49
Hello oldgraymare,

Welcome to nmp.

I am sorry you are suffering - it isn't easy to cope with health anxiety, but at least you will find there are plenty of people here who will be able to relate to your worries, and offer good support.

Vanilla Sky
03-03-10, 18:50
Hi ane wlcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

oldgraymare
03-03-10, 18:55
thank you :)

Redrainbow
03-03-10, 19:41
Hello,,,i hope this site helps you,
Regards redrainbow,

Julie1975
03-03-10, 19:47
Welcome to the site, everyone is so friendly and helpfull on here.

smudger
03-03-10, 21:06
Hi.:welcome: Hope this site helps you like it does me.:)