PDA

View Full Version : Aches and pains and tension

hugs
03-03-10, 23:46
Hi everyone,

My CBT therapist told me about a month ago to stop touching my face which I do all the time to help me deal with a pressure feeling that I get internally when I have a negative thought/fear (I have it all day everyday). If I don't tough my face or apply any external pressure somewhere as I exhale air I feel like the pressure inside me will go to my head and pop something causing a massive internal bleed (if any of you are familiar with my previous posts you'll know I suffer from a lot of head symptoms and fear everything that could go wrong with your brain).

Anyway for a while I have managed to decrease the amount of times I touch my face but this has unfortunately caused some other symptoms to appear. My shoulders are permanently raised and I have the most awful tension headaches which literally last all day. The tops of my arms ache and feel like I've been lifting weights, my back hurts just about everything hurts!!!!!

But I wanted to know do any of you feel your muscles tensing but they don't look like they are tensing? I feel like where the back of my head meets my neck tenses up on the inside just on thought but yet it doesn't physically feel like it is when I touch it with my hands on the outside and sometimes if I manage to not let that pressure feeling go to my head it often releases somewhere else in my body very often in my back and I get an ache.

Does anybody get this? I doubt it but I hope to hear from someone. I'm going to post in health anxiety aswell about another issue but I think this other problem isn't psychological and might actually be a real problem.

But just to finish off can psychological pain (meaning feeling physical pain just by thought) actually cause any harm?? Not knowing just keeps feeding my anxiety and the symptoms.

Thanks for any replys

xxxxx

Lauz
04-03-10, 01:05
I can confidently say that the answer is YES 100% that you can tense without even feeling tense or knowing your are tensing.
I suffered for 7 - 8 weeks of constant daily headaches. I too believe it was a brain tumour cause what else could it have been, I had a scan at the eigth week and it was clear.
I have neck and shoulder problems anyhow which is the cause of the headaches and I knew that at the time but my brain just went into irrational mode.
Long story short, there were times when I felt relaxed as and my neck and the base of my skull was SOOOO tense ... it's bizzare, you just have to wear it out really. Do as many things to help you feel as relaxed as you can. Once you accept the pain and move past it you will find that it will go away.

Xo

Dazo
04-03-10, 07:45
I am always tensed and have alot of aches and pain from it. Now my back is really bad.