PDA

View Full Version : Panicking about feeling depressed!

southernstar66
08-01-06, 12:39
Would appreciate any advice. Had a few stressful months in November and December and went away on holiday for Christmas to luxury palm trees and sunshine (my idea of heaven) and had a series of panic attacks which took me by surprise (although in hindsight I should have seen it coming) and I'm now taking lots of steps to help with the panic attacks - going back to yoga classes, giving myself time out and trying to look after myself. However, my biggest trigger is always thinking I am going to be depressed. I feel at the moment really tired from all the anxiety, coupled with the fact its January and there is no sunshine (another trigger) and I've been three months free of my anti-depressants. I'm almost at the point of giving in and going back to the GP and saying I think I need to go back on the anti-depressants but wondered if there was any advice that I could follow to try and beat the depression without the meds and thereby helping me out of the vicious circle of panic attack feeling depressed so panicking even more! Thanks

Hannahlou84
08-01-06, 17:03
As you probably know, you aren't doing yourself any favours by panicking about the depression returning, but in fact making it more likely- natural to panic about it though I think.

It sounds like it would be a shame to go back to the medication when you are generally coping without it. I think you are doing all the right things now to stop the depression from returning (with yoga and looking after yourself).

The best way forward would be to focus on the progress you've made, and try to focus on the positives, perhaps try writing a list? It does sound as though you are doing well!

Also, remember that even people who haven't experienced depression often feel low/anxious at this time of year, so maybe just try and focus on that a little too? Sorry that I can't be of more help!

southernstar66
09-01-06, 09:41
Thanks for the advice - am trying hard to stay focused on the positives and thinking that everyone feels quite low anyway this time of year. x

Meg
09-01-06, 16:32
Nearly daffodil and lamb season now.

It can make a big difference.

Hiking in the countryside to exercise, eating correctly and getting on omega 3's all help as well as what you are doing already.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

southernstar66
09-01-06, 17:38
Thanks for the helpful advice. I went back to my GP this morning and he suggested firstly to take a safer version of the Lorazepam which I take very occasionally but I told him that I didnt think that would help. I hardly ever take the Lorazepam and only ever use it as a last resort 0.5 mg to take the edge of a big panic attack. He then said that he thought a short course of anti-depressants which help and has prescribed me Prozac. Like I said earlier I had been on Dothiepin and was taken off them last October. I have been without meds since October and really loathed to go back on them. I have never been on Prozac before so am now looking at the prescription trying to decide whether to get the tablets and give them a go or keep going on as I am!

freakedout
13-01-06, 16:13
Hi southernstar,

Sorry to read about your anxieties. I do think that once you have suffered with depression it must always worry you that one day it will re-occur. I am sure that some of your anxieties are natural, however, it is trying to keep your anxieties in perspective that can be difficult as we all know. The rational mind tells us one thing and the irrational one takes over. I am sorry if I am not making sense. Try to focus more on the here and now (I do feel hypocritical saying that really, because I myself have exactly the same worries!) I started taking dothiepin about 4-5 weeks ago and noted a dramatic lift in my mood, which is brilliant. Today however I do not feel quite so bright and there is a nagging worry that the depression is lurking in the background, waiting to get a grip of me again. Maybe I expect too much of medication, maybe it was the initial high until I begin to tolerate the meds, maybe today is as good as it will get. Today is a LOT better than a couple of weeks ago though.

Sorry I am getting carried away. I am interested to follow this thread and see what other opinions are and other ways of trying to be positive about something very negative.

I just wondered how long you were on the dothiepin for? and what are your reasons for not wanting to back on medication?

Take care, and remember, one day at a time.

:)

superfran23
13-01-06, 18:19
an idea to banish the winter blues, i have a seasonal adjustment disorder light box that works wonders - and therefore no medication :)

Hannahlou84
13-01-06, 21:08
Hiya,

The medication decision is truly yours, and yours alone. Do you think it will help you? Everyone has their own views and experiences, and most are different. If medication helped to some extent before, and you will feel OK about it as a temporary measure then I would go with it. But if it goes against your gut feeling, perhaps it would be worth thinking about what you could rely on instead?

Hannah

southernstar66
16-01-06, 17:14
Hi - thanks for your replies. In answer to your query about taking the Dothiepin - my GP took me off it in October as he told me that there had been information about long term effects on it and that he needed to take me off it. I therefore was weaned off it with no ill side effects. Since October I have not been on any anti-depressants. I have been maintaining on Propanolol quite successfully. A series of things happened with changing teams where I work and my manager died and I gradually began to do too much again and didnt see the anxiety creeping up on me. When I went back to my GP he said that he could not prescribe Dothiepin again and could only suggest Prozac as an alternative.

As my main problem is anxiety I am just taking a safer version of Lorazepam when the panic grips which is about twice a week so far, more often at night than anything when i have time to think! I was happy to take a drug that I had taken before for a short period of time but really did not feel happy to start Prozac as I had heard things about it which scared me. I have previously taken Seroxat but he wont prescribe that either due to other side effects.

I have decided to try and grin and bear it for now. I am not strictly speaking "depressed" I am just anxious about becoming depressed after experiencing an episode of panic attacks. I am going to try and do all the other types of things I can do to make myself feel better. I have re-joined the gym and am going to start yoga. I have also got a sunbed and that makes me brighter when I have a session on the sunbed! I dont really want to be on anti-depressants all my life so am going to try and bear with it and see how I go. If it gets worse then I'll give in and go with the Prozac.

To make things even more complicated I have picked up either a bacterial infection or virus in my stomach in the last two weeks and have had periods of really bad upset stomach. Until I realised this was not a symptom of my panic it made things worse but I am now having tests on that so feel overall better.

The light box idea is a great one and I am going to investigate that ..I think it would help.

Thanks for all your advice. xx

Hannahlou84
16-01-06, 17:26
Just a quick one... often, when Prozac doesn't work as effectively anymore Seroxat is prescribed as the next step up almost- well it was with me. If you found the seroxat helped, the prozac should too, and usually with less side effects. Hope this helps.