PDA

View Full Version : Scared to actually be optimistic?

87sal87
04-03-10, 18:55
Anyone else like this?

I'm actually scared to be positive & say "Oh, I'll be okay!" because then I think I'll jinx myself & things will get worse...

Or regarding my health anxiety, if I let my guard down & tell myself I'm not doing to die & I think I will because I've said I'm not & my guard's down & I'll just drop dead or something because I'm not looking/recognising symptoms.

Like, the one time I say I'm gonna be okay, I won't be...sort of thing, it's weird.

No, it's ridiculous but that's how I am...so it put's me off even trying to positive cos I'm even scared of that!

Anyone else the same?

maz1967
04-03-10, 19:11
you know hunny thats exactly how i feel sometimes. god i thought it was just me... my dad had a brain tumor at 61 i kept telling him he would be ok that the treatment would work and he would not die, he started treatment and 3 weeks later he got C-diff in the hospital and died... thats when my panic attacks started and no matter how many times i tell myself i'll be ok its just anxiety i think of dad and go to peices

smudger
04-03-10, 21:53
Hi. I know what you mean. I am having a good time at the moment :yahoo:after an horrendous xmas and new year:scared15:. I am very optimistic now:yesyes: but in the back of my mind is 'Mr Anti Optimist' who may come along any minute with his brain clonking sledgehammer and say "wake up, wake up, you are dreaming rose gardens again, you really are in a pit of eternal suffering". I think its our subconscious trying to protect or prepare us for the possibility that we may fall foul again! I have and I am convinced I will! Nevertheless I am gonna enjoy this while it lasts and I will do everything in my power to help it take up permanent residence this time!:D

andrea thompson
04-03-10, 22:45
hi hon
i know exactly what you mean. when i reply to posts on here i am very concious not to put certain things because i think if i write that it wont happen then it will... scary isnt it???

take care

andrea x x

Dee dee
04-03-10, 22:52
I get this sometimes..weird! lol x

Flossy69
04-03-10, 23:14
Hi there, I get this too quite alot. One minute I think, I can be calm and in control, I will be ok, I will not die. Next minute I think but what if I am going mad and I won't ever be normal again and end up losing my kids and ending up in a psyc unit. I am waiting for CBT as I am sure this will help my negative thinking. I think most people with anxiety probably experience these thoughts throughout their day. When I feel positive, I can feel so calm, so need to stay calm more often (easier said than done). All part of that awful feeling of 'anxiety', but I know it can be beaten with the right help and support. Optimistic is a good thing, it can improve our well being. If you ever need reassuring, I am here for you

regards, flossy x

Dazo
05-03-10, 07:31
I am the same, i feel that everytime i get optimistic anxiety strikes back big time.
Then i get even more sad about everything and anxiety keeps moving on.

faye75
05-03-10, 08:35
I was once told "prepare for the worst but hope for the best". If only I could feel the 'best' was likely. I spend my life not tempting fate. It seems there are lots of us around who feel that the glass if half empty!

Typer
05-03-10, 11:54
Claire Weeks, in her book mentions this - if you haven't please read it. One patient interview gives a detailed view of this.