PDA

View Full Version : G'day

Gripped
08-01-06, 17:38
Hello,

It is nice to find a resource which is full of like 'minded' (quite literally ;)) people.

My story (which I will attempt to keep brief) has been 7 years of highs and lows, from feeling normal - the same as everyone else, to wanting to become a hermit. Note though that I am by no means hard done by, and life is certainly worth living as I conclude that 90% of people have some problem or other to contend with.

I have finally diagnosed myself as agoraphobic after reading the definitions. Prior to this, I assumed I was claustrophic with a variety of other issues, but agoraphobia seems to fit very well. I do still feel a bit stupid admitting it (like it's not a real illness), and I feel guilty for sounding self obsessed, i.e. "a broken leg" is far easier to explain to people.

History: 1999 Started a new, more stressful job which must have made me more sensitive to anxiety. Went on holiday: plane flight = panic attack for no apparent reason (was nervous of flying, but no worse than most people). The conclusion I reached was that the plane was packed with people, and I started 'choking' - full panic attack ensued. Flight back was on a half empty plane and I was calm and fine.

BUT: Got back to work after the holiday and forgot all about the issue on the plane. But within a few weeks the same symptoms began to invade almost everything involving being hemmed in :

meetings
restaurants
cinemas
church (weddings, christenings etc)
bus, trains, cars, planes the lot.

I'm sure this sounds familiar.;)

Over the last 6-7 years I have had to force myself to do many of the things to keep my job, but those things I don't NEED to do - like fly or use public transport, I have avoided. So I haven't flown in 7 years.

During the initial stages I was convinced I had a physical problem. So I had the full suite of medical tests including endoscopy of the nose and throat and a CT/MRI type scan of my sinuses. Result = I'm medically fine.

I've had hypno and cog. therapy and both helped to a degree - certainly gave me more confidence, but not a miracle cure; that involves hard work and persistence. The one thing I haven't yet tried is the drugs (I think beta blockers would have helped, but I can't take them).

Through facing my fears (as often I am forced to, either for work or for say a friends wedding etc) I have come a long way. Today I can do most things provided I am on the end of a row or at the back near an exit. You will always find me with my bottle of water and pocket full of sweets !! Also, I always amaze myself at what I can cope with, no matter how terrified I am before hand. There is alot to be said for stepping into the breach and facing your fear head on. Once I even gave evidence in Crown Court !!

I must admit though, that I have missed out on a great deal over the years and it's taken its toll on friendships. And I yearn to see the world.

Flying is the final battle - which is difficult as my partner is terrified of flying !!! (What a couple we make). I am still not keen on buses or trains.

I have to use the train for work soon, so that is why I am on here thinking about anxiety again. Not sure how I'm gonna do it.

As an aside, being a 'phobic' you start to notice how many people are uncomfortable in formal social situations. Lots of seemingly normal people you see sitting on the end of a row with a bottle of water..... there's plenty more of us out there !!

Thanks for your time. Keep up the good work. :D

That wasn't brief was it? Oops.

Tomimo
08-01-06, 17:53
Just a quick post to say welcome to the forum.

I've found eveyone to be very friendly and supportive so I am sure you will get lots of advice and support here.

Annie x

trac67
08-01-06, 17:58
Hi Gripped,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care
Trac XX

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

bradley
08-01-06, 18:18
hi gripped,

i hope you find some help.

Brad.[8D]

Gripped
08-01-06, 18:36
Thanks for the welcome all !

bonzarinababy
08-01-06, 18:41
Hi Gripped

Welcome. You’re absolutely right; there were plenty of familiarities in there – esp the sitting near an exit with a bottle of water ;)

I’m sure I’m stating the obvious here, but if you can try to travel on the train at off peak times (less people) or on a train that takes longer (more stops = more opportunities to leg it = less anxiety (for me anyway!) ) When are you going on the train? I too hate travelling (most forms, is no way I’d get on a plane right now) and have to go on a train on Wednesday… oh joy! But I’m travelling off peak and I’m armed with a good book so hoping all will be well :)

Anyway people are this site are really lovely and supportive, so I’m sure you’ll get lots of good advice…

BB x

Worry gives a small thing a big shadow.

Gripped
08-01-06, 18:50
Thanks !

I am planning on going on a short train journey to boost my confidence. I should be ok. I have been on the channel tunnel (and back) 3 times now, don't like it much, but its better than puking up on the boat !!! To be honest, trains should be one of the better forms of transport as you have a toilet to escape to, frequent stops, and the journey is fairly comfortable compared to roads with tight corners.

The other thing for me, is that I get travel sick = makes the problem worse.

Sue K with 5
09-01-06, 01:23
Hi Gripped

Welcome to NMP! Having read your story I think you would benefit from CBT ! cognitive behavioural therapy

Its worth a try and could be of great help to you

Take care

Sue with 5

scknight

Gina
09-01-06, 11:24
Hi

Welcome... to a fabulously supportive site....

We should all be the most hydrated people walking with the amount of water we drink eh!

Gina

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
by Portia Nelson

I. I walk down the street.

There's a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost.....I am helpless;
it isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

II. I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place;
but it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

III. I walk down the same street.
I see it is there.
I still fall in....it's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

IV. I walk down the same street.
I walk around it.

V. I walk down a different street.

Chardonay
09-01-06, 11:40
Hi and welcome,
you will find help and surport on here.

Best wishes
Chardonay.

Tall dark and mysterious was his name,
magic love and money was his game.

Beauty is a real thing, not just a reflection in the mirror

sueiamnew
09-01-06, 12:29
Welcome to the site Gripped.

chucklehound
09-01-06, 12:48
Hi Gripped and welcome to NMP where you will get lots of support and make some great friends too!:D

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

Meg
09-01-06, 15:39
Gripped

Glad you stopped by to say HI.

You have done remarkably well to keep going despite all the fears so well done.

Think you may perhaps be stuck on the anticipatory fear of the fear cycle for those final challenges-Not ideal with also fearful partner but JFDI just like you have everything else and you will come through best.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
09-01-06, 15:43
Hi Gripped

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
09-01-06, 19:56
Gripped

Thanks for the lovely intro post and welcome aboard.

You will meet some lovely people here and get all the support you want to.

I hate flying too!!!

Nicola