PDA

View Full Version : I'm having surgery...nervous about anesthesia!!

momof3boys
05-03-10, 00:45
I am having gallbladder surgery next week and I am getting worked up because last February I had a tubal ligation and was under anesthesia and when I woke up my heart was racing and pounding and when I told the nurse, all she said was " yes you tach'ed on us". So now I am freaking cuz i never got an explanation for it! I am so scared something will happen to me...does anyome know anything about that stuff? They didn't seem too concerned the last time, they had me eat toast, drink and pee, took my vitals and sent me on my way...although my resting heart rate is always a lil high too....someone please help!!

jude uk
05-03-10, 04:52
Again have a word with a nurse GP etc and they will put your mind at rest.

momof3boys
05-03-10, 15:37
ok i will do that, but has anyone ever heard of that happening? and is it something of concern?

Lissy43
05-03-10, 16:01
I think if you are anxious you will be abit tachy, I wouldn't worry about it, I get like that just going to the GP, lol!

If I need gallbladder sugery I am sure I will feel just as worked up. I will go and see my GP for advice and reassurance before hand to if I need to.

I wish you lots of luck, it can't be a nice feeling and I am sure you are worrying over nothing. Trust your doctor and I hope all goes well xxx

momof3boys
05-03-10, 16:12
Thanks!

Maj
05-03-10, 16:52
The anaesthetist should speak to you before your op and this is when you can explain to them what happened last time and what you are afraid of this time. They should be able to reassure you and put your mind at rest that it was nothing to worry about. The fact all your observations seemed okay to them and that you were allowed home shows that it was nothing to worry about. They must have thought you came through the op fine and I'm sure you'll do this time as well.
Myra:hugs:

momof3boys
05-03-10, 16:59
thanks for your reassurance, i keep telling myself that but i am a nervous wreck, i just want to get it done and overwith and be back home!

Maj
05-03-10, 17:16
I can understand how you feel, I think we'd all feel the same, Quite often the event that we are dreading is never as bad as we think it's going to be! I've wound myself up so many times about things like this!! After it I ALWAYS think "why did I worry so much" and I'm sure you'll be the same.
Let us know how you get on:flowers:
Myra:hugs:

countrygirl
05-03-10, 19:51
I am known at my hospital as the tachy lady as I only need to go through the doors and my pulse is up to 150!! I also have had sedation and full general and still my heart rate is high afterwards - I assumed a full general would calm my anxiety down but no.
You are in the very best place if your heart did so something it shouldn't - you are wired up all over and monitered all the time - remember they see things that freak us but are normal to them.
Good luck .

momof3boys
06-03-10, 02:53
You are right, I am definately in the right place...I have been so good anxiety wise about this surgery and then bam! all of sudden I am stressing over the anesthesia! I am only stressing cuz of the heart palps the last surgery last year and the nurse saying I tach'ed...wish she never said that to me!

NeverRelaxed
06-03-10, 03:53
whats it like when they put you under by the way? is it like flicking a light switch AND BAM you're asleep?

momof3boys
06-03-10, 15:41
yes pretty much thats what its like, and then the next thing u know you are awake again...

hannybun
06-03-10, 16:23
Me too i only have to walk into a docs surgery and wham my heart goes rapid :)

Please do speak to them to reasure you but they wouldnt let you go home if they were worried

Promise xx

Domas
22-08-10, 16:50
I know of some people who have had it done and they told me it wasn't that bad. The gallbladder surgery wasn't too bad (http://gallstones-gallbladder.blogspot.com/2010/06/gall-bladder-surgery-yes-or-no.html) and they had a pretty quick recovery. They also claimed they felt so much better afterwards. I do wish more people who have had positive outcomes would post. All we hear about is the ones who have had gall bladder problems (http://gallstones-gallbladder.blogspot.com/2010/06/gall-bladder-attacks.html) and it makes the rest of us not want to get the surgery done. If you feel that's what you need to do, and you're feeling very badly, then you just need to have faith that everything will work out for the better.