PDA

View Full Version : Fluoxetine & Panic Attacks / GAD

Flying Badger
05-03-10, 04:13
Hi Folks.

As anyone who read my lengthy post a short while back will know, I've had an awful time with my panic / anxiety of late.

I went to see a new GP (that is, a GP at the same surgery, but none of my family has ever seen her) on Wednesday, and after a bit of a talk, she has prescribed Fluoxetine (20mg daily). I had spent a good 3 years on Citalopram (40mg daily) in the past, but have not been on any meds for about 18 months, perhaps longer. They seemed OK, but not brilliant (in over 7 years, no drug or CBT has ever done much for my panic attacks). The issue was that Citalopram caused problems with my pain releif, being an inhibitor of a cytocrhome that metabalised the painkiller, thus reducing it's effectiveness.

Anyway, Fluoxetine it is. I was wondering how other people have got on with the drug, especially those with panic and anxiety? By far the most terrifying symptom for me is the chest pains and strange heartbeats (most medical folk call them ectopics - although I'm not sure what they are). I've not taken any Fluoxetine yet, as I am a little aprehensive about doing so. I know many meds make things worse before getting better, but I am pretty much beyond the limit of coping with things as they are, and don't think I could handle getting any worse.

I'd be grateful for any advice, or experiences from other folk who have similar problems, and have been prescribed Fluoxetine.

Cheers

Gaz

mantra
05-03-10, 04:55
Hi Gaz,

Prozac did not help my anxiety. Even when I just started taking them.

Have you ever tried this method?
http://www.anxietypanic.com/breathing.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaphragmatic_breathing

Xanax was prescribed to me before I even heard of this!

Diaphragmatic breathing is incredibly effective, and has no negative side effect.

Let me know how it goes :)

mantra
05-03-10, 05:00
Once I became aware of my breathing habits, I realized that I breathed from my chest rather than the abdomen. This can actually cause anxiety!
Once I made diaphragmatic breathing (not deeply all the time of course) the regular way I breathe throughout the day, I noticed the feeling that I need for xanax went away.
I recommend inhaling both in and out of the nose for everyday life. This is the Yogic way...and no one will notice that you are doing diaphragmatic breathing in every day life when done like that.

Flying Badger
05-03-10, 05:30
I had actually heard of Diaphragmatic Breating (and the difference between that and chest / shallow breathing).

I had a look at the links, and from what I can tell, I seem to breath using my diaphragm already. When I breathe, there is very little or no movement in my chest / sternum. Instead, my belly rises and falls as I breathe.

I have noticed though, that when I have a panic attack, I do start to breath into my chest. I suppose I should try concentrating on diaphragmatic breathing more when I do have an attack.

Cheers

Gaz

JaneC
05-03-10, 10:05
Hi Gaz,

Diaphragmatic breathing indeed should help. If you want to try the Fluoxetine... the first time I took it I had no side effects except dry mouth and waking up with a start at around 5am for a couple of weeks. This time it was a little harder and I did have a couple of panic attacks (I'd withdrawn from another AD, maybe that had something to do with it) in the early stages but since I got established on it I haven't had a single one. I have no experience of chest pain/irregular beats, but hope this is of some help otherwise x

anotherworrier
05-03-10, 22:16
fluoxitine worked well for me first time helped with panic attacks, not really eased anxiety which is why after 6 years i took myself off them, but since stopping them i am slowly getting worse with my anxiety and having mood swings, not seeked professional help but im wondering whether it could be side effects from stopping the medication as i heard they are highly addictive, its coming up2 a year now thou since i stopped them, would with drawal symtoms last this long?