PDA

View Full Version : Very distressed - reflux or heart?

jenza20
05-03-10, 10:29
I have had a terrible night. I have just started Omeprazole (twice a day initially) for reflux which has plagued me on and off for years but worsened over the last few months so it is now a daily problem.

I can see a little improvement in some ways. I am not belching so much or regurgitating so much. I have only been on the tablets since Monday and the day before yesterday, things were improving so much I decided to eat normally again although kept the meals smaller with less fat than normal.

I am suffering real bad again. Worse in fact. I never really had heartburn before but I thought I was having a heart attack last night with the pain and burning in my chest. I tried to get a little sleep being propped up but I couldn't lay certain ways for the pain (also in my throat) and this morning my throat sounds hoarse and I am a bit wheezy. (I do not smoke and no asthma). The questions that I need answers to are:

Is this chest pain common with reflux or could it be unrelated?

Shouldn't the tablets be working by now? This is day 5!!

When should I go back to my Doctors?

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I should be busy doing things with my kids but I am just not feeling well. My head feels like it is in a clamp today....all tight and achy.

Thanks xx

Typer
05-03-10, 11:49
My husband gets that badly and yes, it is common to have burned throat and a sore feeling in the chest

daydreamer
05-03-10, 12:57
Hi,

I completely sympathise with you, I have a reflux problem and its been so horrid so I know how you feel!

In answer to your questions,

Is this chest pain common with reflux or could it be unrelated?

I have bad acid reflux and I get bad chest pains and palpitations that are caused by it. Of course there is always the possibility that it could be something else, but its a coincidence that so many people experience chest pain and suffer from reflux too. There is a post somewhere in the forum of the symptoms other people experience, you can do a search with the term 'reflux'.

Shouldn't the tablets be working by now? This is day 5!!

They should be working, I took omeprazole and it didnt work for me the second time round. I found that Gaviscon advance worked for a while, maybe you could give that a try if you havent already? although you cannot take it whilst taking the omeprazole, its one or the other.

When should I go back to my Doctors?

If I were you I would go back to the doctors ASAP and tell them of your problems. Dont suffer in silence!

Good luck and I hope you get better soon :)

Cat80
05-03-10, 13:48
I take Omeprazole for acid reflux but it isn't always enough, I also take Gaviscon dual action but only once a day as too much will calm my stomach acid too much, definately worth taking some in the evening before bed and also eat really mild bland meals while your stomach is still healing. The omeprazole can take a while to work fully and 5 days is nothing really

melvin
05-03-10, 19:26
i also take omeprazole as acid burnt all my voice box and lymph nodes i had a sore throat for 8 wks and i got chest pain its funny because since i went on these taps i feel like i have Asama when i do exercise and im out of breath i never was before i cant work out why as iv allways kept fit and i had a heart treadmill test not long back all ok