PDA

View Full Version : i need some advice

bradley
08-01-06, 20:32
hi,

my name is brad and over the last couple of weeks i have developed a thing where i dwell on things so much that i can almost freak myself out about anything. i am only 15 and a new member to this site and stuff like this has never been a problem to me. but unlike many users of this site i KNOW that there is nothing wrong with me and it is all iin my head. i know that i dont have a brain tumor and i know im not going to turn into a skitzophrenic (spelled wrong).

so my question to anyone who has read this is: HOW DO I STOP?!?

how do i stop thinking about stupid stuff that i know im not scared of?

i am aware that there are many agoraphobes on this site and i have read many of your stories. in my present state of mind this might not have been a very good idea, because now i think about turning into an agoraphobe so much that i think im going to turn into one.

i know that this might not be posible but i am not looking for the ten year plan i am just looking to resume my life and go back to the normal care free kid i was.

thank you all,

Brad.

existential crisis
08-01-06, 20:56
Hey Brad.

Welcome to the site! I am in recovery from anxiety and I believe that the key to overcoming this problem is a combination of a few things - sharing the problem with someone you trust, getting some therapy and/or medication, and lots of positive thinking. I can understand how you think it might not be a good idea to visit this site - there have been times in the past when I have come on here looking for advice and instead of being reassured I have also found myself thinking that I have also got what other members have got! Its all part of the illness. With regards to that, you will know within yourself when its a good idea to come on here and when it isnt. I learned that if you are looking for genuine reassurance then this place is excellent but if you are coming on here to check about symptoms in an 'anxious' way then it can be detrimental. Listen to your body and your mind and you will soon be able to figure it out. You know that this is 'all in your head' but that doesnt make it any easier does it, hun? Thats something we all can empathise with on this site. You have recognised that this is a problem and that is the first step in your recovery. You are aware that these are irrational fears and that gives you a great handle on it already. I have been in therapy and not being able to control these thoughts is due to the fact that they become automatic. By getting some therapy you can learn how to challenge these destructive thought patterns and get your life back on track. My advice would be to carry on as normal, challenge the thoughts by being rational and see a health professional. Hope this helps. Clare. xxx

*I think, therefore I am.*

bradley
08-01-06, 21:05
thank you that helped:)

brad.

existential crisis
08-01-06, 21:14
Glad I could be of some assistance. Feel free to PM me or add me to MSN if you would like to talk some more. Clare. xxx p.s. also try the chat room - its a good place to go if you need to talk or you just need to take your mind off things.

*I think, therefore I am.*