PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure - worried now!

screddie
05-03-10, 18:05
Hi all - been ok for the last few weeks and have even come on here to try and help a few people who are panicing. Now it's my turn again! I have just had a BP test for a gym induction. The last test i had was in Nov and it was slightly high. Today it was 150/90!! That is now really concerning me and i have never had high BP before. I have had problems with HA for 16 months. Am going to the docs but given i was going to the gym to start exercising again and try and make things better, this is a set back i could really do without!! Should i be worried? THis seems really high to me! :weep:

Carys
05-03-10, 18:37
Just to say I am not medical personnel - but that is in the high blood pressure category. However, you need to bear in mind that a blood pressure needs to be taken in a specific way, after resting for a certain period of time, being as relaxed as possible, and by sitting in a very specific way - in order to get an accurate reading. Presumably the people who took your blood pressure today were not medical experts and just gym staff ? It is entirely possible that they did not take an accurate reading, BUT, if you had a slightly raised BP in November I would certainly return to your GP or practice nurse and have another reading taken before starting an exercise programme.

melvin
05-03-10, 19:12
i dont think its that high myself mines allways 140 over 90 and my doc says its fine so i would not worry about it when your more relaxed take it again a nurse told me best out of 3 five mins apart

screddie
06-03-10, 16:22
Thanks guys - am going to the docs on tues. In all honesty after 16 months of anxiety, worry and stress with HA, it isn't surprising my BP is high.

lindajane1971
06-03-10, 17:51
Hi,
One reading of 150/90 i wouldnt say is high blood pressure especially if you were at a induction at the time, everyones blood pressure dramatically changes every hour of every day, even when you stand up or go up stairs or even sleep it changes all the time, you need to take 3 readings when you are realxed and average them out to get an accurate reading. My husband has high blood pressure and has to be tested every day like that, his is around your reading all the time and he is on meds to control it so please dont worry your reading was not abnormally high. Because we have a machine at home when i get anxiety im forever taking my BP and ive noticed its always elevated when im anxious, of course after a half hour or so its always back to normal.
Hope that helps. x

JavaJoy01
07-03-10, 04:16
My blood pressue changes at the drop of a hat. I've always had high blood pressure for as long as I can remember and only recently a doctor decided to put me on medication for it. I usually sit around 160-190/80-95. Two readings ago it was 117/78. I went to the doctor the other day because I was sick and it was 190/80 again. One of the problems is that I went on new health insurance at my job and this one refused to pay for my diovan. My cardiologist had to change me to a new one and I think my BP shot up from it.

screddie
08-03-10, 09:10
Thanks again, guys. I will be going on tues and will see what they say. Great to know others have had similar worries.

Earthworm
08-03-10, 12:46
Hi, I'm in a very similar position, I went to the Docs a couple of weeks ago to finally face up to my anxiety & panic after almost 10 years and the first thing he did was take my BP which was 170/85! A week later it was still the same so he decided to get me to do home monitoring for a few weeks - even though I still get anxious before taking it at home (in case of a high reading) it is now averaging out at 140/85 - from what I have read this is still high but not rediculously so. I am due back to see him with my readings on Thursday so will see what he says. I have had a horrid few weeks with some of my worst HA ever but I am now coming round to the fact that anxious people are prone to periods of high BP - I hope you don't obsess too much over it - good luck for Tuesday.