PDA

View Full Version : Scared of blood cancers and MS

j2
05-03-10, 21:18
I have battled anxiety for many years. I am 38 yr old male, in pretty good shape. I have been dx'ed with IBS, GERD and GAD and don't currently take any meds. Most of the time my fear focused on bowel cancers and nuero disorders. I seem to have gotten a handle on the bowel fears by having a colonoscopy and learning to deal with my IBS. So about a year ago I started having pains in my toes. The pain wasn't horrible but it was right at the end of the toe. Over the last year, I have been getting increasingly worse and widespread pain. Sometimes it is joint pain sometimes it is muscle pain. The pains come and go but they are now showing up in all areas of my body and staying around longer. I just have it stuck in my head that this is a nuero disorder or something like lymphoma. I have lost a little weight lately even though I am still eating normally. I am really struggling to not google and I am starting to get REALLY worried when some of my other anxiety symptoms pop off like nausea or palps. Part of me knows that nausea and palps are anxiety but the other part of my brain is screaming that these are signs of somethng much worse. Any words of assurance would be VERY welcomed. I just need to talk to someone who understands what this is like. My wife is great but she doesn't get it. I don't go to the doctor much anymore since I can't find one that doesn't treat me like an idiot plus they are very expensive. So if you can at all relate or just want to give me a kind word, please do. Thanks in advance.

countrygirl
05-03-10, 22:22
I could write your post! I have ibs hiatus hernia and severe health anxiety plus I have degenerated and hernaited discs in my spine. I am sure you know that the minute we worry then all our muscles tense up without us knowing it and our nervous system goes into overdrive - I find it helpful to read the symptoms list on left and reasons for the symptoms.
I also have pain all over and seem to injure myself very very easily - part of this is down to my spinal issues but most of it is due to muscle tension caused by all the worrying. another thing I get is a genuine none anxiety symptom caused by my genuine medical problems but instead of telling myself that I have had it before and its due to whatever I instead start to worry that this time its being caused by some other terminal illness and I shoulnd't ignore it - ber your nodding your head now because this is how we all think. I am in Uk so cannot appreciate how difficult and expensive it is for you with health in USA as our health service is free if a bit slow and creaky!
I have also beein through the neurologist tests many times with numerous mri scans of head and all sorts of weird symtoms like twitching - tingling- painful patches of skin etc etc and I do not have any neuro disease so you can have all these symptoms and it not be neuro.
HOpefully someone else will reply and may be able to explain better than me:)

j2
06-03-10, 00:26
Country Girl,

I really appreciate your sincere and caring response. I keep reading about how our tense muscles cause pain but I am getting pain in places like my finger tips and the top of my feet. I keep thinking that I am "wearing" out my nervous system or that I have something horrible. I keep beating myself up because I have so many blessings in my life and I keep focusing on me. That is not fair to my family. As I am typing this I still feel pains all over and I keep hoping tomorrow is going to be better. I just can't convince myself that this is anxiety related I just know it is feeding my anxiety. Anyway, I really appreciate any responses. Thanks and God bless you all.

Sti
06-03-10, 17:13
Hello there.
Interesting to read this post as I posted a similar thread today as I just can't believe it to be anxiety. I am also completely convinced that I have MS and can't get my doctor to refer me to a neurologist, because she thinks it will be a complete waste of time and money. I get cramps and spasms in my toes, fingers, forearms, legs and the most intense sharpest pains in my head on a regular, but not permanent basis. It is so hard to give in to the fact that it is anxiety, but I supose we are both having a similar experience, which confirms it must be - so lets try and focus our attention on anxiety!!!
I am sorry if this doesn't help, but just wanted to say I so understand :)

j2
07-03-10, 04:09
Sti,

I does help I just wish I could get it through my head that this is probably anxiety. I have been a little scared as I didn't find a lot about and and foot pain and anxiety, but as you said we should probably focus on anxiety. Good luck.

J2

marley
07-03-10, 04:40
Foot pain could be anything - to be honest, I'd be looking towards anxiety, but even at something like orthotics!

If the muscles in one muscle group are tense, this has a follow through effect on the adjoining muscle groups. Tense legs can mean tense feet.

Feet also carry a ton of tension, as they carry your entire body weight. Remember how good it feels to take your shoes off at the end of a long day?