PDA

View Full Version : an update

Juliamidlands
09-01-06, 09:42
I am going from one extreme to the other, and I'm really confused... [xx(]

I thought I'd made progress over Christmas when I was in Wales- although I didn't drive there myself, I still sometimes feel wierd when I am a passenger, but I had no problems at all when I was in the car with Dave and we were driving down some really dark country roads.

So I went back to work last Tuesday, and was not looking forward to the drive home at all- but I was absolutely fine. Wednesday was ok, thursday was not TOO bad and Friday...well that's a different story..

On Friday afternoon, I didn't feel great, felt really shakey, it was sort of like how you feel when you're getting a cold/flu, but I didn't feel 'ill' as such, and I dont even know if the shakeyness was through to worrying about the drive home, as I'd had such a good week with the driving, so didn't have too much reason to worry.

So I got into my car, and immediately got stuck in traffic leaving the business park where I work. Sitting in traffic doesnt usually bother me, but I really needed to get home quickly on friday as I had to be somewhere, so I started getting edgy. Then the local radio traffic reports said that there was heavy traffic due to an accident on the main road going back into the area where I live (10 miles away). So I could have either sat in the traffic , or gone onto the by-pass for one junction, but there was no way I was going to do that because I have a phobia of joining traffic on an A-road or Motorway, so I thought well I will just sit in the traffic.

But then, nearer home, the traffic report said that the road with the accident on it had now been closed off.completely. I then got really freaked out because it was dark anyway and that's where my problem lies, so about three miles from home, I pulled over in a lay-by and burst into tears, shaking all over and feeling totally out of control.

I didn't know what to do, so I ended up calling my mum, who came out with my Dad and she drove me back home. I felt so completely useless.

I really don't know what's wrong with me. I have been given help- Propanolol, but I am terrified of taking it, so it's still unopened in the box. I have this major problem with anything that might involve a loss of control, so I've not taken my tablets as it's out of my hands, once I've taken one, if that makes any sense at all.

There is one thing that I can think of which MIGHT have made the way I felt last week so different at the end of the week that it was at the beginning- but I'm not convinced- I have a lot of weight to lose and last week, I started my healthy eating plan by eating lots of fruit, having soup for my lunch, salad, etc. I don't have a great deal of willpower but I am REALLY trying, but on friday, the big tin of biscuits in the office that were left over from Christmas became too much to resist, and I had a couple (!) (the same applies to the tin of Quality Street, too,).
I'm sure that I felt worse, and shakey, after eating all that rubbish.
Is it just a coincidence that I felt pretty good (and almost totally panic-free) at the start of the week when I was eating healthily?? Or am I just reading into it too much??

I know I'm my own worst enemy- I went to the doctors, she gave me the Propanolol to help me and I'm scared of the side effects so I've not taken it.

But what do I do, I know I can't give into this, or I'd never drive anywhere in the dark ever again. I have even considered giving up my job, and getting one close to home in the town where I live, but that would just be putting a 'plaster' over the problem, and giving in to it. I so want to overcome it, and for that reason, I'm 'trying' to carry on as normal. (although I still have not done the journey where all this started- I had my first panic attack at the end of october last year, whilst driving home from Dave's, completely out of the blue, and have not driven over there since, Dave has come over to mine and picked me up every time).

Sorry for rambling on, but this is really getting to me- I should be the happiest

Piglet
09-01-06, 11:43
Hi Julia,

Okay hun this is just a blip - don't let blips mar things.

I did last year and then it turned into a much longer blip than it ever needed to.

I had a few little blips over Xmas but unlike I used to do I saw them as exactly that. Try and accept that some odd days here and there might feel wobbly but each night when you go to bed remember that the next day is a fresh start. Every new day is a chance for a fresh start you don't need to carry over things from the day before.

I smiled at the joining the traffic on slipways as this is one of my pet hates too. I can't afford to run a car at the moment and in some ways I don't mind (wrong of me I knowbut true)!!

Regarding the biscuits and chocolate I know Meg will have something to say there - and I agree, I ate so much crap over xmas, much of it sugar based and I am certain it didnt help. Not sure if just small quanties here and there are a problem though if you are eating well enough in general.

I know when we eat them on an empty tummy mind, the sugar rush is not too helpful.

Big hug - your doing ok, you might want to post about your fears on the Propanolol then other folk who have used them could help!!!

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Juliamidlands
09-01-06, 11:59
Hi Piglet,
Thanks for the reply! I thought I was the only person in the world who had that fear of sliproads and having to join traffic! Although I've only been having pa's for three months, I've been driving for six years now, and have ALWAYS had problems driving- it's really affected getting around, when I can only drive in my 'safe' areas. When I was with my ex-boyfriend a couple of years ago, I would never drive to his, the drive would have taken about 40 minutes on three motorways, so instead, I used to get a train and a bus, which used to take about two hours!

I honestly would love to NOT be able to afford to run a car, but I can afford it (ok I'm not at all well-off, but I can afford my car, dammit!), her name is Bev and she is a very sweet little silver fiesta but I just get so freaked out at night :-(.
But then, at the same time, I'd be so restricted if I had to rey on buses, and it would be giving in to this problem

I will post a seperate message about Propanolol, thanks for the advice

Julia xx

'To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world'.

Piglet
09-01-06, 13:17
Aww big squeeze about the driving - I too am that 'safe' driver and yes that was way before I ever got anxiety too!!!

It is kind of a relief not to have to face this fear but when finances improve in the future I will get another car, even if I only ever stick to my safe zones too (lots of us around kid).

If that ever start becoming even more of a problem do a seperate post about that too - you will be amazed just how many replies you will get to it:D:D:D:D

Take care - we are all here to listen anytime:)

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Meg
09-01-06, 16:01
****the big tin of biscuits in the office that were left over from Christmas became too much to resist, and I had a couple (!) (the same applies to the tin of Quality Street, too,).
I'm sure that I felt worse, and shakey, after eating all that rubbish.
Is it just a coincidence that I felt pretty good (and almost totally panic-free) at the start of the week when I was eating healthily?? Or am I just reading into it too much??*****

Oh Yes, this can bring it on beautifully so back on the sugar wagon you go. One or two are fine preferably at end of a meal not as snacks between meals. For those moments - nuts, banana, yoghurt etc

We are heading towards lighter nights so it will get easier for you but maybe spend one daysoon doing a practice of on/off for a drive out. Off round the roundabout and on again- maybe with partner , providing he doesn't back seat drive .....

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Juliamidlands
09-01-06, 16:14
Hi Meg, thanks for the reply

Yes the 'light at the end of the tunnel' (the lighter nights!) is keeping me going at the moment. I will also be moving to a new area in a few months when I move in with Dave, so I'm hoping that the change of scenery will do me some good as well. It's an area that neither of us know very well, so will involve me changing jobs, which I'm really looking forward to. So who knows..maybe it will change my frame of mind, new start and all that.

When will the nights get lighter again..?!?!?!!!!??? Roll on Spring...

'To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world'.