PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack about dating

Calmcat
07-03-10, 12:20
Hey Guys
Has anyone got any calming advice or has experienced this? I have suffered from anxiety and panic for about 7 years and although it is pretty much under control at the moment, when I am stressed I get really bad so dating is really hard. I have a 3rd date with this nice guy. On our second date I had a total meltdown (he didn't realise thank god). I have developed this anxiety about having my drink spiked because of a date I went on over a year ago where I came over really faint. I was probably ill but I scared myself silly and now I can't seem to get over it. I want to enjoy my date and not feel terrified. I am in my 30's now and don't want to be single anymore but it is all so terrifying. I woke up at 5am in a blind panic. We are having a daytime date so it should be even less scary and it is our 3rd date now.
Any words of advice would help.....

Louise2009
07-03-10, 14:08
Hi Calmcat,

I know how you feel and I am also in my 30s. I think to help me, I have decided to try take things very slowly with someone I meet, and also view it as a friendship to start with. I think this helps build trust and then you can confide in them as a friend about your anxiety/panic attacks and they can reassure you and because they know about it, it can take the pressure off you. I did this and even though we did not take the relationship further than friendship, he has become an amazing friend and truely supportive - and who knows, in the future something else me develop.
Try not to see yourself as having time limits etc, as this only puts pressure on yourself and I think men pick up on this. Nobody knows the future, so just be kind to yourself and in time you will meet someone really special.

Hope this helps! - it's what I try to tell myself!

Louise xx