PDA

View Full Version : Having a lot of issues!!

tashbarnes87
07-03-10, 18:48
Hi all, im sorry this is slightly embarresing but i am 16 weeks pregnant & am suffering from awful constipation i havent really been in like 3 weeks & can only seem to go with the help of Movicol i know constipation is a common symptom of pregnancy but ever since i have had my son 13 months ago it has been really difficult maybe going every 3 days & always really straining which i know is bad sign. I am terrified its bowel cancer or my biggest fear MS & im having a reallly hard time believing its anything else :weep:

hungrycaterpillar
07-03-10, 19:03
Hi, have you asked your doctor? There is a liquid drink you can have which is like clear syrup, I forget the name but it helps you go and is fine for pregnant ladies. Might be called lactulose????

Also, are you or have you been taking iron tablets for the pregnancy as these can make you very constipated.

If you've had it since you had your last baby maybe it's IBS? IBS can be managed and is nothing to be afraid of, I have had it for over 10 years and I can live with it fine now.

Hope this has put your mind at ease a little :hugs:

tashbarnes87
07-03-10, 19:41
thank you, my doc took me off lactulose & put me on movicol which really helps but the moment i stop taking it im back to sqaure one so i feels its masking the problem. Not taking iron now but was up until 12 weeks. Does IBS cause constipation ? ifeel since i had my son everythings sllowed down x

peter34uk
07-03-10, 19:49
Constipation is a classic IBS problem & it sounds like thats what u have.

Really try not too worry. If your doc thought it was serious, he'd have ordered multiple tests

hungrycaterpillar
07-03-10, 20:16
Ahhh I see, I have never heard of Movicol, but glad that your doctor is aware. Constipation is a very big symptom of IBS. I do wonder if your constipation right now is being caused by the iron tablets even though you finished them a few weeks ago.

I assume you are eating lots of fruit and veg and drinking lots of water? That will help you to 'loosen up'!!:blush:

Please try not to worry about cancer or anything more serious, as peter said before your doctor would have ordered tests by now.