PDA

View Full Version : How to explain Panic Disorder to others

shortstuff
08-03-10, 22:36
After giving my line manager a bit of a shock today when I asked for time off to attend CBT and a brief explanation that I have Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia, I have been looking for a short, to the point leaflet to explain the condition. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Most seem to focus on the individual sufferer and how to cope, but don't explain it for others.

Hope this makes sense

Nic

Lauz
09-03-10, 03:06
contact your doctor as they should have something or be able to point you in the right direction

shortstuff
11-03-10, 13:02
Might ask CPN on Monday - I just want something quick and easy to read, and I know the stuff I got when first diagnosed was really lengthy.

lizzie29
12-03-10, 15:43
The mind website have some info: http://www.mind.org.uk/help/medical_and_alternative_care/mind_troubleshooters_panic_attacks

There's a brief guide and an in-depth guide with symptoms, treatments etc. Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

norman
12-03-10, 16:57
Panic Disorder is is a kind of anxiety disorder that is characterized by recurring severe panic attacks while Agoraphobia is a kind of phobia that associated with fear in public places such as market or mall or open spaces. Panic disorder can be treated through cognitive behavioral therapy , panic-focused psychodynamic psychotherapy while Agoraphobia can be treated through exposure treatment, eye movement desensitization and reprogramming (EMDR). I hope it helps to you. :winks:

shortstuff
12-03-10, 17:36
Thanks for that - the one on MIND looks perfect (now wondering how I missed it :blush:)