PDA

View Full Version : PAP Smear test qu

louise123_uk
08-03-10, 22:49
Do you need to have a Pap Smear test if you er havent had sex?

I know cervical cancer is often caused by the hpv virus so if you hadnt had sex you cant have this?

I guess cervical cancer has other causes though.

Just musing on this as starting to worry about fact ive never had one and im 26, just never thought needed to.

Anyone know?

Lauz
09-03-10, 01:27
I think it is best to go get it done, there is no harm in it.
If my memory serves me correct, if you are sexually active you should get one ever 2 years. And by a certain age and don't quote me on it but I think like 20 or so even if you are not sexually active you should still go get one.
All I do know is that even if you are not active that you should still get it as cells can change up there regardless of HPV.

tinycritter
09-03-10, 09:27
Hi, I'm 28 and have just booked my first one ever as I thought I didn't need one (until I read up about HPV) - women who have never had any sexual contact with anyone probably have a very very low risk (according to the nhs leaflets), but like Lauz says some cervical cancer is caused by factors other than HPV (I think it's somewhere between 95-99% caused by HPV depending on what advice you read) ... it's up to you but if it's worrying you then there is no harm in getting one to put your mind at rest, you are entitled to one.

BabyRachel
09-03-10, 11:34
Lauz is right. You should have a test two years after you are sexually active or once you turn 20. You are at very little risk of having any abnormalities but it is better to be safe than sorry isn't it! Pap tests are over very quickly. The key to avoid discomfort is to relax. They will use the smallest instruments on you that are avaliable, but being honest it is uncomfortable. It IS over quickly though. So it doesn't do any harm to get it done. x

Cell block H fan
09-03-10, 14:16
If you have never had sex you would probably be told you dont need one by your doctor. But the choice is yours. It can tear your Hymen, although that wont mean you aren't still a virgin.
Have a read of this atricle.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pap-smear/AN01635

missionangel
09-03-10, 14:34
I would advise getting a test even if you are not sexually active.

Cervical cancer is not only caused by HPV virus.

I had abnormal results and have to have a smear every six months now but it worth it and without going for my smear i wouldnt have known and it could have been a lot worse.

Once you have your first one it really is nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Cat80
09-03-10, 15:11
You get offered them every 3 years here in the UK if you are over 25 and sexually active. If you are not sexually active and don't want to have one then you don't need to. You are at a very very small risk of getting anything and will probably be told you don't need one

gypsywomen
09-03-10, 15:52
i just had one now i will be worrying till i get results ,, wish i was a man