PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my teeth and gums

cassy1989
09-03-10, 19:09
About 6 months ago I had a filling. Since then the tooth has been very sensitive.
Anyway for the last month or so occasionally when I eat my jaw goes stiff on the side with the filled tooth. It only goes stiff for about half hour and hasn't happened for about a week now. But now when I press down on my gum and jaw on that side it feels bruised.
I've got the dentist tomorrow but I am terrified that its an abcess or gum disease. The reason I am so scared about an abcess is because I have heard they can spread to your brain! But my Mum said I would be in agony by now if it was an abcess?
Please give me some advice!!

cassy1989
09-03-10, 19:12
Also I forgot to say I think my wisdom tooth on this side is coming through because its very hard where my wisdom should be but I'm not sure if that would be connected. Sorry I know this doesn't sound like a big problem but to me it feels like it is :(

cassy1989
09-03-10, 19:37
I have just googled and it came up with gum cancer. Now I'm even more scared!

Gazman
09-03-10, 19:46
Stop poking and prodding it! - You have no idea how much this can aggravate your teeth and gums, also stp googling! it does no good and you know it only throws out the most deadly causes.

Try to relax and wait till you see the dentist, i know it's easy for me to say but you've just gotta hang tight till tomorrow and i'm 99.9% sure it will be a common routine problem.

Plus from what i've read is that the average age of mouth cancer is 60 and going by your username, i'm guessing your around 20 / 21? If so then you can pretty much rule that out.

suzy-sue
09-03-10, 19:47
You musnt google hun ...Your Mum is right an Abcess would be really painful .Gum DISEASE is easily treated but it doesnt sound like you have that .Your wisdom tooth is making your gum and surrounding area Tender ..I had a lot of trouble with mine for years ..Take some IBROFEN ,it will help with the discomfort .Wisdom teeth are so far back ,near the jaw joint .so thats why you had trouble opening your mouth ..Im sure the dentist will reasure you tommorow .Until then please dont worry anymore ;AND STOP GOOGLING ...:D luv Sue x

cassy1989
09-03-10, 19:51
Hello thank you for replying.

Yes I am 20 I didn't realise the age for gum cancer was alot older!

I really do hope it is just a routine problem. The only thing is I'm petrified of the dentist as it is but my little boy has a check up tomorrow too so I don't want to be scared in front of him!
Its just so hard when you have HA to think logically isn't it :(

suzy-sue
09-03-10, 20:00
Bless ya CASSY ,you will be ok ..believe me .You will do it for your little boy .Once he sees there is nothing to be afraid of he will be too .Practise deep breathing when you are waiting to go in ,and take him a book or something to distract him ..It will be over in a few mins .A lot of People have probs with Wisdom teeth and your age is a bout right for them to start .so thats another reason you should feel reasured .All the best ..luv Sue x:hugs:

cassy1989
09-03-10, 20:09
Thank you so much. You have reassured me saying it is about the right time for wisdom teeth. I have just arranged for my friend to come with me too so I feel a little more at ease knowing I will have some support x

KK77
09-03-10, 20:13
Yes, it's VERY unlikely to be anything serious like cancer Cassy. As Gaz says it's very rare in someone of your age and it's most probably likely to be related to something much more routine than even an abscess.

Don't worry - it'll be fine, I'm sure.

cassy1989
11-03-10, 15:56
Hi just thought I would update.

I went to the dentist yesterday and every thing was fine. The pain in my tooth was a small composite he filled with out an injection and it only took about 1 minute!
The pain in my jaw and gum though, he's not sure what it is so he thinks perhaps I knocked it and then have made it worse by prodding it:blush: The gums bleeding a bit is normal apparently when you brush your teeth.
I just have to use sensitive tooth paste from now on and other then that he said all my teeth are fine so I don't have to go back until september which is my 6 months check up.
I feel daft now for worrying so much. I was convinced it was something awful! But thats health anxiety for you!
Anyway thanks every one for replying x

Cell block H fan
11-03-10, 16:57
Stop googling! Mind you, when I was not much older than you I was reading everything health related under the sun, but I ended up in a bad way because of it! You haven't got gum cancer. Ive never heard of anyone getting gum cancer, its rare, & I expect its unheard of in anyone your age.
You haven't got an abcess either, my 15 yr old son has had one of those, ended up on antibiotics & the tooth out, & you certainly know you have it! He was in tears & punching the side of his face because of the pain. You also haven't got gum disease, ive had that, ended up on antibiotics & special script mouth wash for a week, receeding gums, the worst dog breath you can imagine.
Ive got problems with the area where I had a back teeth filled years ago. 2 dentists so far have said there is nothing wrong with it, but I know there is! If I breath in sometimes I get a pain in it, & I have got used to never eating on it now because that hurts too.
Sometimes its probably just to do with the filling. I have learnt to live with it.
If I was you, I would mention it to the dentist when you go.
x

Cell block H fan
11-03-10, 17:03
Hi just thought I would update.

I went to the dentist yesterday and every thing was fine. The pain in my tooth was a small composite he filled with out an injection and it only took about 1 minute!
The pain in my jaw and gum though, he's not sure what it is so he thinks perhaps I knocked it and then have made it worse by prodding it:blush: The gums bleeding a bit is normal apparently when you brush your teeth.
I just have to use sensitive tooth paste from now on and other then that he said all my teeth are fine so I don't have to go back until september which is my 6 months check up.
I feel daft now for worrying so much. I was convinced it was something awful! But thats health anxiety for you!
Anyway thanks every one for replying x

I really need to learn to read the whole thread :whistles:

Glad all is well :yesyes:
x