PDA

View Full Version : Flying!!

RSTurbo50
09-03-10, 23:55
I have been sufferin with GAD and Panic Attacks for 12 years. However, I have always been a keen aviation enthusiast and its always been my goal to become a pilot. However, after recently reading an article about poor oxygen supplies on a plane and people fainting whilst flying, it has really worried me. I have flew many times before and never passed out. But reading this and other articles has made me think that my very phobia of fainting may well become a reality.

I am due to fly to Berlin next week from Liverpool alone for a short break but am thinking of cancelling due to this fear that I may faint or pass out whilst on the plane.

Thoughts?

Vanilla Sky
10-03-10, 10:54
Why would you pass out and not everyone else on the plane? Cabin staff , pilots ? There is oxygen supplies on every plane but that won't stop your thoughts of fainting no matter how much you have. You need to get it out your head . What about taking rescue remedy to help calm you before hand ? Or even going to the doctors to get something just for the flight. Try not to let the anxiety ruin it for you, you never know maybe once you've done it , the fear will leave you. :) Have a great flight x

RSTurbo50
10-03-10, 12:22
This is it, I have flew many times before and always enjoyed it. I have evn had flying lessons which proves how much I enjoy it. I always have a beer or two before I board which normally relaxes me, just need to use distraction techniques to stop the negative thoughts.

I do have a phobia of passing out or fainting and I think after reading a few articles about people fainting in flight, it is causing me to feel real uneasy!!

Does the rescue remedy actually work or is it just another way of the manufacturer making easy money?

Vanilla Sky
10-03-10, 20:11
It works for some people not others, give it a try and see how you feel . You just seem to have got something in your head that won't budge. It was like me for a while with my health anxiety, i was obssessed with heart attacks, every little twinge was it happening, nightmare , however i think i have overcome it now, you just have to be rational and do a lot of self talk and also distraction is good . What about hypnotherapy , have you tried that ? Might help x