PDA

View Full Version : Propananol and fast heart beats.

JT69
10-03-10, 12:20
Hi Just wondered if anyone has any advise. I am currently taking 30mg Mirtazipine but even though it does not state it is a side effect am suffering with a fast pulse (even sometimes when resting) its up to 106 at times. My GP has prescribed 10mg of propananol twice daily, this seems to help. Just wondered if anyone else is taking it for the same thing and what dose and how often etc. In the past when my GP has prescribed them he has just told me to take when necessary but now I have become aware of the fast pulse have started at least to take 10mg first thing in the morning to try and combat it. Any advice??? Jo.

empty mind
26-03-10, 10:55
propanalol slows your heart rate down and lowers your blood pressure to help combat anxiety, i often notice when my heart is beating a little faster if i've had to run for the bus or something, this might be because it is usually at a steady rate so it feels like a big difference, i too used to check my pulse but i realised that there was no real reason to, it was a negative habit i had formed almost like an OCD, once i had become aware of what i was doing and that there was no real need to do it i could say to myself " dont bother with it, its pointless"

louise 11
21-07-10, 16:30
Re: Propanolol for fast heartrate.I also take Mirtazepine 30mg at night and have a fast heartbeat for which I take Propanolol 10mg twice daily. prior to starting mirtazepine this did not seem to be too much of a problem. I am also aware of palpitations sometimes. I don't know if my dose of propanolol needs increased,will need to speak to my G.P. Are you still taking Mirtazepine and if not has your heart rate gone back to normal?

T101
22-07-10, 15:25
Hi - i'm on 80mg slow release propranolol a day due to my constant anxiety and racing heartbeat. Now when i panic i get all the usual symptoms except the fast beating heart trying to burst out of my chest! So they do work! You doc may up the dose for you if needed.

stucun
29-09-10, 19:42
10mg is quite a small dose, 40mg three times a day was what i found to be a good dose, although now i'm on 80mg twice a day, not the slow release, and this works even better...