PDA

View Full Version : Dreading parents evening

EMMA B
10-03-10, 18:41
I have my sons parents evening tomorrow night and i have been dreading it for weeks.
The last one i went to we had to wait ages before we saw the teacher and i worked myself up before we even met her. For the first few minutes of talking to her i felt bad (sweaty, dizzy etc) and thought i would have to leave, but after this i gradually started feeling ok again and by the time we saw the second one i was feeling absolutely fine.
I know i should feel reasured by this but ive been fretting all week and making it into such a big deal i just know im going to make myself panic again.
Anyone got any tips to help cope in these kind of situations?? Im considering whether to send my partner to go there alone but dont want to keep missing out on these things ( i only make about half of the parents evenings and even then i only see 2 of the teachers incase i cant cope)
Thanks for listening:)

ladybird64
10-03-10, 20:35
Why don't you try and go to the parents evening with your partner and if it gets too much you can go outside and leave him to speak to the teachers?

I would suggest that you come clean with the form teacher and explain that you get panic attacks. I think you may be surprised how understanding some people can be once they realise how difficult it is for you to sit there waiting.

Failing all that, how about you try and set up a separate appointment with his teacher to discuss his progress? They might be willing to do this if you explain the problems you have.

Good luck :)

sarahdd
10-03-10, 22:31
i really feel for you, i hate parents evenings and meetings at school, as i always work myself up before the meeting somehow teachers always make me feel inadequate, even though my girls do really well at school !!!! alot of teachers dont seem to live in the real world or even comprehend what everyday life is like for some of us!
you could requst a written report from his teachers, my sister works and cant make most parent evenings so they give her a written report and targets
good luck xxx

leony
11-03-10, 12:34
Most schools and teachers will arrange 2 c u after school has finished in the afternoon if u feel u cant get through parents evening just explain 2 his form teacher they can b really accomodating and approachable

leeg
11-03-10, 13:36
i had meetin at sons school yesterday i was scared beforehand after 5 mins in the room i had a pa i said i to teacher i feel quite warm in here he opened window gave me a glass of water an joked about him havin hot flush an i was ok at that so even if it does happen its not so bad good luck with it x

Pinkangels
11-03-10, 14:31
Hi,
I really feel for you here :hugs:
Parents evening doesnt sit too well with me either. Soooo many people, sooooo much waiting, waiting equals thinking, thinking equals panic! aarghh!

Not sure what to advise really hun. Do think you should go with your partner tho, rather than to avoid the whole thing. You can always pop outside if you need to.
You can try using your partner to distract you somehow, while you wait, or pretend you are txting someone on your mobile as i do often, and take a small bottle of cold water with you.

Good luck xx

kate1
11-03-10, 16:22
I often get that, after a while I tend to calm down, its the anxiety of actually having an attack, than the attack itself. Radio 4 helps me, directly into my ears on my mobile. Plus breathing, stopping the adrenolin running round the body.

EMMA B
11-03-10, 17:08
Thanks for your support guys it does help.

Pinkangels- thats exactly how it is, too much waiting equals too much panicking!! perhaps i'll get there a bit late.

I know i could tell teachers how i am and make an appointment for a different time but then i know i would feel like i'd failed.
I think the only way i'll ever get better is to face it (easier said than done!) otherwise i will just always take the easy option and never be able to do these sort of things.

Think im going to go and read my book to calm myself, i will report back later,

Thanks again x

Maj
11-03-10, 18:47
You're not alone with the parents night thing. Most of my friends hate going to them, whether or not they suffer from panic attacks. I don't look forward to them but once I'm there I don't feel just as bad. Do what others suggest and take some water with you and quietly sip it while you wait. Think to yourself that loads of other people are feeling like you are and that before you know it you will be walking back out of the school for another while!! I bet you get through it okay, it's always the lead up to the event that's worse! You'll be stronger than you think.
Myra:hugs:

EMMA B
11-03-10, 18:53
Thanks, i hope so.
only 15 minutes to go, im getting hot and sweaty now and my mouths dry already..ok now breathe...ok gotta go x