PDA

View Full Version : Had the flu and my anxiety symptoms left

j2
11-03-10, 03:02
I know I read a post on here similar to this a while back but I couldn't find it. Anyway, my whole family got the stomach flu a couple of days ago. We were all spending the whole day moving back and forth from the bed to the bathroom. The strangest thing happened while I was actually ill, all or most of my HA physical symptoms went away. When I started to recover from the flu, all my HA physical symptoms came back. I know this sounds crazy but if anyone would get it, it would be my friends here. I am glad the flu is gone, but very sad that all the other stuff is back. Oh the joys of anxiety.

j2
12-03-10, 02:41
Does this happen to anyone else? I mean I was so ill I was symptom free.

SmartyPants
12-03-10, 03:01
Yes! Pretty much every cold I get, the anxiety takes a holiday.

hugs
12-03-10, 09:18
I had a cold a few weeks ago and anxiety wise I had never felt better!!!! But then the anxiety came back as soon as I got over the cold, what a stinker!!!!!

Cat80
12-03-10, 11:46
It's because you are focusing on something else at the time so your body can't cope with both. Distraction is the best thing for anxiety and when you had flu you felt too ill to worry about anything else so the anxiety went away

Lucy14
12-03-10, 12:16
You are so right cats80!

Earthworm
12-03-10, 12:29
Absolutely spot on - when we have something else to occupy our minds the anxiety & panic seem to float away, I have been there too. Just proves that distraction really is the best thing.

Typer
13-03-10, 14:16
Same here. I had a real big family problem to deal with 2 weeks ago, and although my heart was still thudding and skipping, I was less worrued about it having refocused my worry onto something else.

Maj
13-03-10, 15:00
I think it's because you get totally preoccupied with anxiety to the point of being able to think about little else. When illness comes along then it gives you something else to think about. It's happened to me before. Just shows you that it is mind over matter, if only we could believe that at the time!!
Myra:hugs: