PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine/Dandelion interaction?

turtleonaleash
11-03-10, 07:11
Hi All,

I am on 30mg's of Mirtazapine. I recently switched to a dandelion based coffee substitute. I have been really worried about having an allergic reaction to dandelions (even though there is no reason I should be allergic.) I had a cup of dandelion coffee this morning and I took my pills this evening and I feel really off. I feel short of breath and really strange. I know these are typical anxiety symptoms for me, but I was just curious if anyone knew of an interaction between dandelion and mirtazapine?

I really don't want to stop drinking the dandelion coffee because it's actually a really good substitution for coffee! Logically I would say if I was reacting to the dandelion, I would have shown a reaction a lot sooner, since I drank it about 12 hours ago. And if it was a reaction between my medication and the dandelion, it would have happened sooner. since I took my medication about 5 hours ago.

I tried looking up information on Dr. Google, and I found that dandelion has an interaction warning with lithium, but I saw no mention of any other medication.

ElizabethJane
11-03-10, 07:36
I would stop drinking the dandelion tea until you can be sure that no interaction is taking place. I'm not sure where you would look though maybe in mimms? Anxiety can produce the reaction that you describe but better to be on the safe side especially if you are allergic to other things. I'm not sure how concentrated the dandelion extract would be but even in a very dilute form it could still interfere with your dose of mirtazapine? I'm interested about the reaction with lithium as I take that. Does it interfere with the absorbtion of lithium?

turtleonaleash
12-03-10, 07:31
I am not allergic to anything. This sudden allergy fear has only popped up sine my anxiety became worse. Dandelion seems to make the side effects of lithium worse.

"Lithium -- Animal studies suggest that dandelion may worsen the side effects associated with lithium."

I had no dandelion coffee today and tonight I feel awful again, so I am thinking it's just sleep related anxiety.

:hugs: