PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy (Whats wrong with me!)

Desprate Dan
12-03-10, 06:20
Went for a colonoscopy yesturday and the results showed Skin tags and a Diverticular, so its a relief nothing to serious showed up........:)

But what could of been causeing my diarrhea and the sudden urges to go to the toilet??????

Am i cracking up?? am i imagening it all???? But surely you cant, its not like i feel the urge to go but when i get there nothing happens, i really do need to go..

Since the colonoscopy yesturday, i passed a bit of blood not long after, and noticed my stools are a lot darker in colour (Is this usual??)

I had a blood test and a stool sample and now a colonoscopy and all came back normal so what is wrong with me????? Got an appointment with my GP on monday morning i am really worried he thinks its all in my head, and by the looks of things he's probably right i am even starting to doubt myself.....:unsure:

Any advice please.

Dan

Rachel W
12-03-10, 11:13
I think stress can cause diarrhea and unsettled feeling. The fact that the tests were normal mean that you are fine, and the GP should be able to put your mind at rest. Also, have you been on antibiotics? My boyfriend had diarrhea that lasted for about 2 months and it was that he had taken ABs and his healthy fauna had been killed off so the doctor prescribed him tablets that put it back into the system.

Also, I wouldn't mind if the doctor thinks it is in your head (what he may mean is that it is caused by worry, not that he doesn't believe you have the symptoms and that is a good thing as it is therefore nothing serious).

Desprate Dan
12-03-10, 18:06
Thanks Rachel, i am really thrilled that the colonoscopy showed nothing serious and i hope i can start to look forward to the future now and not worrie about my health as much..

Thanks

Dan

nomorepanic
12-03-10, 18:17
Did they say you had Diverticular disease or Diverticulitis ?

Desprate Dan
12-03-10, 21:19
Hi Nicola, they didnt say much they give me a print out they had a mark were they found a diverticular, which they explained is like a pocket in your bowel, and thats all i know, they took a couple of biopsy's aswell..
Since the colonoscopy the diarrohea has now stopped..

What does it mean if they have found a diverticular??? they said it was common for people to have them??

Dan

nomorepanic
12-03-10, 21:27
Dan try this link - it may explain it more...

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/diverticular_disease.html

beanie
12-03-10, 22:21
Hi Dan

The link above is a great one, i recommend you have a look! Finding a diverticulum doesn't mean anything, most of us on here will probably have one or two! As you said yourself it is just a little pocket in the wall caused by a weakening in the muscle in the bowel wall. You can get also them in you stomach too, they are perfectly normal! They are only an issue if they become irritated or inflamed (like anything really!). It is really great that your colonoscopy was normal - I'm glad you feel happier :)

Not that it matters now as you are ok, but a little bit of bleeding is normal, especially if you had a couple of biopsies taken. And I know from myself that stress and anxiety gives me diarrhoea almost immediately! It amazes me how fast it can come on sometimes :ohmy: I'm glad you are feeling better now!

Desprate Dan
13-03-10, 06:33
Thanks Nicola/beanie/M worrier/Rachel

Your infomation was very helful, and i read the link which explained things very well, the symptoms sound a lot like IBS which my doctor says i have, its funny for about a year now i have had a slight niggle on my right side, it comes and goes and feels abit like a stitch and on the diagram i was give the diverticular is marked and seems to be in the exact spot...

Also there was a couple of skin tags which they never really said anything about but they were marked again on the diagram and were at the entrance, i am guessing that they are nothing serious??

Cheers for all your advice, thats why NMP is soooooo GREAT.

Dan

Veronica H
13-03-10, 11:15
:bighug1:Hi Dan. I had all of the symptoms just as you describe when my anxiety was at its worst. Even now if I panic the effect on my stomach and bowls is almost instant. Concentrate on dealing with the anxiety now if you can, or you will tune in and move on to your next physical symptom and fixate on that....we have all done this and you will become more anxious and so the cycle continues. Best wishes anxiety buddy.

Veronicax

scjj
13-03-10, 17:27
i work in gastroenterology. diverticular disease or diverticulitis, can cause the sudden diarreah and spots of blood. its normal for this condition.

hope that helps!

sophie