PDA

View Full Version : The Unpardonable sin- don't read if you don't know what it is

Neuro
12-03-10, 17:55
Not too long ago I read about the 'unpardonable sin', blaspheming the holy spirit. After I read it, I tried hard to surpress said blasphemous thoughts, but they just happened and now I feel I have lost my salvation. The thoughts come into my head usually more if I try to surpress it. I am unbaptised, so I feel already I am on God's bad side.....
Does anyone have anything they think may help? Can anyone explain to me why I shouldn't worry?

KK77
12-03-10, 18:13
If you suffer with anxiety, OCD-like persistent thoughts can arise, especially if you try really hard to block these thoughts out because of guilt, fear etc.

Thinking something bad doesn't mean that you'll carry it out or even that you believe or agree with the bad thoughts. It's just a compulsive urge and if you don't fight it I'm sure you'll find that these thoughts will slowly die out.

I certainly don't think it makes you a "sinner" in any way.

Neuro
12-03-10, 18:19
Thank you....I'm just terrified that God will think badly of me and that I have committed the unpardonable sin......but you're right that I didn't agree with it and it didn't want it to be there....I feel a little better, thank you.

Corinne
12-03-10, 18:26
Hi, neuro,
God knows your mind. He knows those aren't your true thoughts. You don't have anything to fear.

Neuro
12-03-10, 18:27
Thank you, Corinne.....I still feel I shall have to furnish St.Peter with a good explanation, but I am less fearful.

- Does anyone have any good Bible quotes that put across the same message?

Zsofi
12-03-10, 19:21
Hi Neuro,

I don't have a Bible quote at hand but I do have a strong belief that God loves us unconditionally and there is no such thing as 'unpardonable sin'..., not in Gods' eyes.

I feel for you as I know what you are going through in regards to religious/spiritual anxiety and repetitive thoughts/irrational fears and so on. I have been there too and I questioned everything about religion, sin, God, Spirit, etc; at the end of course I was questioning even my own sanity...
But I'm through it now and I think I came out on the other side as a much stronger person.

Please don't be afraid, these thoughts are not yours, they are created by your anxious mind that picked up a topic that you are probably sensitive about or you might be going through an inner, spiritual change that triggers religious anxiety. Your worries are completely "normal" and believe me, more people are going through it than you would imagine.

Take care and smile, you know the best that you are a good person who has nothing to worry about! :winks:

Zsofi :hugs:

Neuro
12-03-10, 19:26
I hope God can understand that I didn't want those thoughts.

charlotte83
12-03-10, 19:27
Hi there,
If you think of it this way it might help. If you are deliberately blaspheming, deliberately having blaspehmous thoughts and choosing and wanting to do these things then it could be veiwed as a sin. The fact you have an illness means you don't want to have blasphemous thoughts and the ocd just makes them appear. God would know what is in your heart and what you truly feel and would more likely give you strength and guidance to overcome these feelings.
I personally feel too many religions are very black and white in their thinking, not that I'm having a go at anyone's beleifs. The main thing in life is to be a good, kind and thoughtful person whether you are religious or not. As long as you are not doing things that hurt others then I'm sure you are not sinning. You can't help having OCD and you don't ask to have the thoughts you have so I don't think you need to worry. Take care

Neuro
12-03-10, 19:41
Just in case anyone like me reads this, my sister (much love to her) managed to find a bible quote about it that specifies it must be said willingly and without compulsion.....so it's alright to have the thoughts.

Corinne
12-03-10, 20:33
Ecactly! You don't own those thoughts. Remember God, hears and sees all. He knows what's in your heart. Just talk to Him. Feel better, hon, because you are right in God's eyes. I promise!

Hugs!

bottleblond
12-03-10, 20:43
Neuro

I think your fear has given you a fixation on this issue. Having anxiety and anxiety issues makes us more suseptable to this. Some fixate on their health, others on their children's health, some on phobia's and like yourself we can fixate on our fears.

Please be reassured that nothing bad is going to happen to you.

Hope you feel better soon
Take care
Lisa
x

Maj
12-03-10, 21:11
I agree with Lisa, we can get fixated on certain things when anxious. I've been there myself. We can blow things out of proportion and make ourself more anxious with our thoughts. They are only thoughts though, and don't be so hard on yourself with this particular thought. If you really believe in God then you will know that there is no way you have committed a sin with anxious thoughts. They are THOUGHTS, they can harm no-one but you, and God definitely will not think any worse of you about them. Try not to take the thoughts so serious.
Myra:hugs:

Rachel W
13-03-10, 01:01
I had the same thing happen to me. My boyfriend who is a strong Christian once feared that he had sworn at the Holy Spirit (I think he actually had) and was feeling awful about it and doomed. He told me about it and then after that I kept trying to suppress the urge to think a curse toward the Holy Spirit. Of course as soon as I tried not to think it the thought would come. I believe that God knows that I do not mean it and it is my love and belief that actually causes the guilt afterwards along with the fear. If you meant it you would not care would you? I am sure God will realise this.

Bless you.

Rachel

Neuro
12-04-10, 10:48
I finally realised that the unpardonable sin wasn't what I thought it was, it is infact shutting God out of your life and it's only unforgivable because you shut God out so he can't forgive you....please, no one worry about this.

oneofus
12-04-10, 11:29
Neuro,

Consider the end to Jude

Now to him who is able to keep them from stumbling,
and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory in great joy,
to God our Savior, who alone is wise, be glory and majesty,
dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen.

It is not you who will present yourself flawless to God, that's not your job. Your job's the verse before

But you, beloved, keep building up yourselves on your most holy faith,
praying in the Holy Spirit. Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life. On some have compassion, making a distinction, and some save, snatching them out of the fire with fear, hating even the clothing stained by the flesh.

Yours in Christ

one of us

cymraig_chris
06-05-10, 13:09
Post removed by author

london
06-05-10, 13:17
why not go and have a word with a priest put your mind at ease good bless

verity
20-05-10, 00:01
Hi there, I to am christian and yes the unpardonable sin does sound scary when you read about it. I dont believe it is just about a thought of blasphemy against the holy spirit.
Articles I have read on the subject have stated it is a permemant and heart felt rejection and hatedred of Gods spirit and stating and beliveing that his Spirit is evil. Jesus issuesd this warning when the teachers of the law stated that he was using satans power in his miracles.
This is impossible for any 'true christian' to do, even someone who doesnt believe in God wont necessary do this! please see the below quote I got from a christian article

"suppose it were taught in Christian circles that thinking of blue giraffes is an unforgivable sin. ‘Think once of a blue giraffe and you’re eternally dammed.’ Every Christian exposed to this teaching would end up thinking of a blue giraffe, since it is a fact of life that the harder anyone tries not to think of something, the more that person will think of it. This is not sinfulness; it is simply how the human mind works. Do you suppose our Maker doesn’t know this? Do you think he’s set everyone up to be eternally dammed? That’s what you would have to think if you suppose that God treats as unforgivable unwanted thoughts buzzing around in our minds"

I dont pretend to understand this scripture completely but this is my understanding.
I dont believe for one second that you have comitted this sin, God loves you and understands your OCD. No matter what thoughts come into your head just give them up to God and ask him to take control of them. Remember he loved you enought to die for you so do you really think that a thought will take away that love?
As for being baptised? It clearly states in the bible that in order to be saved all you need to do is have faith in Jesus and confess he is Lord. Yes that is it! So my friend you are saved!

I hope this has helped somewhat

xxxx

Danath
20-05-10, 00:06
I'm no longer particularly religeous, though I wish I was, but to the God I loved there was no sin unpardonable, I always felt that no sheep could stray too far to be saved. besides, he's god, he can see your intentions, and i think intention counts for everything.

hope this helps,
Dan