PDA

View Full Version : Complete exhaustion

shortstuff
12-03-10, 19:44
The title says it all really. I have felt like this for a few months now. I was tested for anaemia and thyroid function late January and both came back clear. A month ago my Citalopram dose was increased from 20mg to 30 and then again to 40mg for a relapse of anxiety and agoraphobia, but I'm thinking this can't be why I'm so tired as I was like that before.

Getting through every day is a major exercise in its own right. My concentration has been affected as has my short term memory. My job is physically and mentally demanding and I'm finding it harder to cope on a daily basis. I have been given loads of reminders for jobs which I'd forgotten about and I'm worried about my efficiency.

Some nights I sleep for the standard 7-8 hours, but there are other days when I fall asleep on getting in from work and don't wake up until its time for work again. I am falling behind with everything at work and at home. Most people look forward to the weekends as a time to catch up and relax, but I am so tired that I can barely function, so my weekends end up as one big waste of time.

I mentioned it to my GP and he said it was better than not being able to sleep which is a common side-effect of Citalopram. I have suffered from insomnia in the past and was better able to function.

Any advice?

Maj
12-03-10, 20:25
It sounds to me as though you need a complete break from work. You sound mentally and physically exhausted. Are you able to take a break? I know it's difficult for some people to do this. If not, are you due any holidays? I really feel for you because I was a bit exhausted myself recently and was able to take a break to rest and it benefited me tremendously. We need to remember that our health comes first sometimes. Just not having to go into work for a week or two to recharge your batteries could put you on the way to feeling better again. Also, your medication might need reviewed again as it doesn't really seem to be helping you too much. Put yourself first and think about a break.
Myra:hugs:

bottleblond
12-03-10, 20:36
Shortstuff

Have you had any viral infections recently?

Lisa

shortstuff
12-03-10, 20:46
I had bronchitis in January, and that had been my initial thought. The GP originally thought so too, but said expected it to lift in 4-6 weeks. As for time off work, its easier said than done. I have the Easter holidays in three weeks but before then have stacks of paperwork to prepare before parents evening on 31st of this month, not to mention the 3000 jobs I've most likely forgotten and already missed the deadline for. :wall:

bottleblond
12-03-10, 20:59
Ah the reason i asked that is because my friends daughter seems to be having the same problem as you. She has been for blood tests ect but nothing showed up at all. She has been off school for about 3 months now because she is just so tired all the time. She then went to see a doctor at our local hospital who diagnosed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It's not serious at all but you can get it following a virus or illness. I'm not saying this is what you have but it rang a bell when i read your post.

Plus as Myra advised, i think you need a wee break from work because you do sound extremely exhausted.

Lisa
xx
:hugs:

shortstuff
12-03-10, 21:57
Thanks Lisa, might be worth another visit to GP- reckon he must be sick of the sight of me these days :wacko:

bottleblond
12-03-10, 21:59
Awww not at all hun. I hope you get it sorted!! :hugs:
Take good care of yourself and let me know how you are please?

Lisa
xx
:hugs:

princess86
12-03-10, 22:31
hey shortstuff, i too was completely exhausted and couldnt do the smallest of things. i took a few weeks off work and the first week i slept practically day and night. i got to point where my mind froze as i couldnt sleep. i couldnt function. please give yourself some time off to rest, you need it xxx

shortstuff
20-03-10, 20:42
Can't believe it. On top of the exhasution, yesterday I developed conjunctivitis in both eyes with a heavy cold, and today I have been in agony with an abscess in my gum. I have spent most of today bathing my eyes and this evening sitting with TCP on my gum. I feel totally cursed at the moment.

The abscessed tooth needs has been brocken for some time and could do with extraction, but there is no way I can go to the dentist as it is one of my absloute no goes with the agoraphobia. Aint life great? :mad:

eternally optimistic
20-03-10, 20:48
Hi

About three years ago I went onto Citalopram for anxiety and this actually helped my exhaustion.

It wasnt until I came on here and found out more about anxiety that I realised the exhaustion was massively better after about 6 months. I was always being ill, feeling like I had the flu all the time - it was horrible.

I didnt take the citalopram for this symptom because I thought it was just wear and tear of normal living, but I can totally sympathise with you as I felt really unwell all the time.

I think I could have been suffering nervous exhaustion too.

I hope you do start to feel better soon as there is nothing worse than this to help you generally get better.

All the best.

shortstuff
20-03-10, 20:59
Thanks for that Jackie, it's always good to know you're not on your own with this sort of thing. I've been fighting one thing after another since I started my new job in September and have had at least 20 days off work in that time.

Working in school, there is always something going round and I've had the lot. Previously I have had a cast iron immne system with hardly any time off over my 11 year career. I am more than a bit paranoid about what my new management must make of my weakened state - I wish they'd seen me over the rest of the time and then they would know this is completely out of the norm.

Nic

shortstuff
26-03-10, 16:10
Well, the conjunctivitis was part of a cold which led to yet another chest infection. By Tuesday lunchtime I was out of breath simply by standing up. I had planning and prep time in the afternoon but couldn't manage the simplest of tasks and ended up flaked out on my desk. I left work early and headed to my mam's so I wasn't on my own and by 6pm I gave in and got my mam to take me to A&E. After an hour's wait struglling to catch my breath (fuelled by anxiety about being in a packed waiting room), I was put on a nebuliser for an hour. The doc suggested that I should chat to my GP about asthma considering the frequency of chest infections and breathing difficulties.

I've been totally exhausted since then and have been off work the rest of the week and have had a bit of a day of it today with panic attacks to finish off my week. I feel really guilty about being off yet again coupled with a fear that I will catch something else when I go back. I'm way behind with paperwork which needs to be finished in time for parents evening at the end of next week and feel like a complete failure.

Oh, and now my mam has caught my germs and is feeling pretty lousy today. Its bad enough that I keep catching stuff but now I feel as though my weakened immune system is having an impact on my mam. Worried about visiting her now in case I pass on anything else. :weep:

So fed up

Thumbelina
27-03-10, 09:33
Nic,

I am venting here, and I am in a similar situation when I have a great job and have an important period now. Though got a lu a week ago and was in bed all this time. It made so ill, with fever, congestion, i lost appetite, senses and weight and the most important CONFIDENCE.
My last bad attack was almost a year ago and this time it makes me feel a bit low that flu brought my attacks back.

I know why: Its all because i feel out of control. Flu is something i didnt choose, it gave me very high fever, caused hallucinations, shakes, etc, evrything and I cold do nothing about it above from being patient, but its not easy for potentially anxious person.
So here we are - anxiety and panic took over cause i let it,

You are not alone

shortstuff
27-03-10, 13:42
Thanks for the reply ladies, and sorry to hear you are both suffering too. Do you think it's the anxiety/ panic which makes us more prone to constant infections and fatigue or the other way round.

I think I'd feel better if the physical was causing the anxiety as it would explain why I've had such a relapse. On the other hand I undertook two of the major stresses last summer - moving house and job. I completely relocated, although back to an area much closer to family. Either way I don't suppose it will help, but the question keeps popping up in my head.

Nic